Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is 5 years old too young..

To wash the dishes as a chore? Excluding big dishes and knives. I wanted to start really teaching my son how to be a little more helpful and he is all for it :). He seems ready to me, but was curious as to what other momas do.

EDIT--Just so everyone knows. I would be there helping him/supervising. I would definitely go back and rewash them if need be. -_-

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Replies (11-20):
LoveMyLos
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:02 AM
My 7 yr old has no chores. But its time he does....dishes is a good start, and his room of course.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I would have him rinse..or even just dry them off with a towel. I plan on teaching mine to help clean and cook from an early age..mostly because his father wasn't taught/made to do those things and man do I wish his mom taught him this stuff so I don't have to! lol

Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Hahaha..yes! Df mom was still washing his laundry and putting it away when i met him. She even would clean his room..omg lol.

Quoting dbrown1989:

I would have him rinse..or even just dry them off with a towel. I plan on teaching mine to help clean and cook from an early age..mostly because his father wasn't taught/made to do those things and man do I wish his mom taught him this stuff so I don't have to! lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as your expectations aren't too high. He's just a little guy but its good to start teaching him those things. Just don't be critical of his work. Praise him for his efforts and before long you'll have a little helper that can't wait to help mommy out :) My little guy is 7 and he started doing dishes around that age at his own request. Don't know why he started, but I sure love his desire to help me and its nice to have that time together.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:10 AM

have him start washing lids, and easy to clean bowls...see how he does with that...

dbrown1989
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM

haha ME TOO! Even when my fiance lived on his own he went to his parents for dinner every night and brought his laundry to her to wash. All three of those boys are the same too. None of them "know" how to do anything. And by "know" I mean they've never done it so they don't want to even try. Funny thing is though, his mom tells me all the time that she's sorry her boys are so helpless around the house lol. Regardless she raised some awesome men, even if they can't clean a tub to save their lives. lol

Quoting Angelicembrace:

Hahaha..yes! Df mom was still washing his laundry and putting it away when i met him. She even would clean his room..omg lol.

Quoting dbrown1989:

daiseymae2
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I see nothing wrong with it. Bowls, plates, silverware, and cups are easy things to wash. 

danie24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:12 AM

My kids are 5 and 7 and I wouldn't let them do dishes. I would worry about them breaking something and cutting themselves. And I would also worry about the dishes not getting clean enough LOL

My kids chores include:

Cleaning their rooms every day
Putting their clean laundry into their drawers every day
Putting their dirty laundry into the hamper every day
Putting their dirty dishes into the sink after every meal after putting their scraps into the compost
Cleaning any mess they make in any part of the house, every day
Feed and water the dog
Brush the dog

They also help me clean when I ask (dusting, sweeping, washing walls and floors, etc, folding laundry, etc)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:13 AM
my 2 yr old has chores so Id say 5 is ready. Dishes may not be really clean. But the effort and lesson is the important part
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:14 AM
If you really want to eat off them... My 5 year old has washed dishes per his request... they get got washed again before going in the cabinet though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN