Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is 5 years old too young..

To wash the dishes as a chore? Excluding big dishes and knives. I wanted to start really teaching my son how to be a little more helpful and he is all for it :). He seems ready to me, but was curious as to what other momas do.

EDIT--Just so everyone knows. I would be there helping him/supervising. I would definitely go back and rewash them if need be. -_-

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Replies (21-30):
CheyJacksMom
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Get that boy in the kitchen moma!
BridgeEbb
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I don't think so.  My kids all do small chores.  My middle child is five and I have her help with the dishes.  I will wash anything breakable and the sharps but she will do the rest.  When I say dishes I mean empty and load the dishwasher.... She also helps dust and wipe down the sink.  I think chores build character.

hopeym23
by J3 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM

If you think he is ready than sure!

smushy79
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:16 AM

In my opinion, yes. Why not have him do things like make his bed, empty the garbage, set the table, etc?

Pnukey
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Yes, that's too young and he's very likely too short to do it safely.

At 5, he can help put away clean dishes, fold towels, clean up his room, clean up common living areas, replace the kitchen trash bag, help set and clear the table, and that's all I can think of right now. It's early.

mary841108
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM

i dont think its too early. the only chore my kids have though is to keep up on their rooms and once in a blue moon they help me with a few other small things. but i tend to get everything done before they get home from school. if he is all for it you can send him my way LOL my dishwasher doesnt like my apple plates for some reason lol

Cleaning tips, baking recipes, dinner recipes, kids crafts, crafts for the bored mama and more at:

http://theimperfectstepfordwife.wordpress.com/

baquick
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM
My 2.5 old loves to help with dishes. So I'm not sure lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RigPrincess85
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Nope.  SD4 loves helping with cooking and dishes... just don't ask her to clean her room lol.

ForeverInLove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I remember my grandma teaching me how to wash dishes.... I think I was about five years old. Not too early, but remember to supervise. Especially if you don't prerinse your dishes right after eating. I know my almost six year old won't be touching the sink for a while, because we get too lazy (hubby starts it and I get fed up and quit) and don't end u rinsing after we use. So... dried milk, dried ketchup... pita to get off, lol. My husband leaves food on things when he does them!

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I think so. JMO. 

My son is 5 and has other chores such as cleaning his room and putting his toys away after he's done playing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN