Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is 5 years old too young..

To wash the dishes as a chore? Excluding big dishes and knives. I wanted to start really teaching my son how to be a little more helpful and he is all for it :). He seems ready to me, but was curious as to what other momas do.

EDIT--Just so everyone knows. I would be there helping him/supervising. I would definitely go back and rewash them if need be. -_-

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Replies (31-40):
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Make sure you help rinse!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
idareyou
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:26 AM

IMO yes, but that's based on my own kids. Oldest are 9 & 10, and 10yo does okay if we make her wash, 9yo still can't do it properly. All of my kids, however, are good at and enjoy drying dishes - better place to start IMO.

Mrs.J.Fulton
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:26 AM
I think teaching your kids responsibitlities from a young age is great. Our 5 year old WANTS to do things so it comes naturally. I think its because she sees me doing all these things everyday, I definately let her help...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
milmomma2006
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I don't think that's too young. Our oldest DD is 6 and has had chores since about 4.5 or 5. She helps me rinse dishes, sorts-folds-and puts clothes away, cleans her room, feeds and waters her guinea pig and helps us clean the cage, and sweeps and mops the two entry ways and the kitchen. She also gets allowance for all of these chores, which helps her motivation a lot.

alphamom26
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I was washing dishes and doing laundry at that age :) It all depends on his maturity/level of carefulness :) Every kid is different, and if you think he's ready he probably is :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Im going to ne the odd ball here, IMO I think thats too young. Let him be a child. My kids never had chores until recently. My oldest 12 and 9 yr old put dishes away and their own laundry away. Thats it or maybe rake leaves. My DH and I both grew up with the recthed chore list. We had our kiddos and want them to be kids not housekeepers.
Lilindian
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM

My 5 yr old which has pdd (on the spectrum) has chores and is happy to help. When we do dishes I wash and rinses and puts on the dish rack

sfkdny
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM

nope, not too young, my dd has been helping me with the dishes since then

heathercm26
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM
No. I think its to yiung. He would have to stand on a chair and hold knives....not cool. But he can help clear the table.
I personally already have my almost 2 year old doing things like put clothes away in the hamper. Bring her sippy to the sink.
Picking up her toys
To me this is a self care thing like brushing teeth. I wouldnt count getting dressed as a chore. ( which she of course cant do yet)

I think of a chore as something that contributes to the household

She even helps unload the dishwasher by putting the silverware in the drawer...granted its in a pile and not sorted but she does it

My 7 yo doesnt exactly have a list of chores but he helps out for 15 to 30 minutes or so in the evenings.
He is not much of a self starter but we will be doing a chore chart soon where he will be responsible for doing a list of chores and be a self starter about it.
Things he does for chores now.....
Straitens up the familys shoes.by the door.
Straitens up the rugs.
Fixes the pillows on the couch and folds the blanket
Help pick up the baby toys around the house.
Wipe down toilets with babywipe
Help clear table
Help set table.
Wipe the trim along the floor with a baby wipe.
Gather everyone laundry from the laundry baskets around the house.....we have no stairs.
Sweep our side walk with a push broom in the summer
Helps pick up sticks before the lawn is mowed
Wipe up spots on the hard floors

As self care thing he folds his own clothes.
Picks up his messes
Puts his dishes by the sink after snacks etc.
He is responsible for his room but not vaccuming or dusting...i love my vaccum to much.

There r other things we exprct of him and any young kid we r taking care of ....like open the door if im holding the baby.
Help carry in groceries
Read to toddler during meal prep time.

These r things he embraces. He is a troubled kid but he is happy to help out. It makes him feel valued and needed. Granted somethings are very time consuming for me to have him help and honestly i would rather do it myself just to get it done, but he needs these skills.

Oh and when i was prego and seemed to regurgitate like a bird if i bent over he really helped with laundry by putting things in the dryer. Sorting. Putting a ton of stuff away. He would hang all the shirts up. He was so helpful. He actually got territorial about it if daddy did it. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM
My DD was washing dishes at 5. She insisted. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)