Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is 5 years old too young..

To wash the dishes as a chore? Excluding big dishes and knives. I wanted to start really teaching my son how to be a little more helpful and he is all for it :). He seems ready to me, but was curious as to what other momas do.

EDIT--Just so everyone knows. I would be there helping him/supervising. I would definitely go back and rewash them if need be. -_-

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Replies (41-50):
cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Marissa takes her plate, etc back to the sink, she feeds our catalog and makes her bed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM

My 5 yo wasn't tall enough to reach into the sink so IDK how you can get your child to do this chore. I wold find another chore to do since it could end up play-with water more than actually washing of dishes.

At 5, I had the kids clear the table of dishes and put on the counter; wash down the table after the meal, sweep the floor and under the table, take out the recycling to the bins in the garage.

loveTHEviking
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I think that's a little young yes. My 5yo picks up his room & just his toys in general.  When it comes to the dishes he helps me rinse them & put them in the dishwasher. That's awesome that he wants to help :).

xomrs.chase
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM
We helped at that age- mostly rinsing
sweetmissy_05
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM

No I don't think so......I would keep an eye and help as well....just to make sure they are clean enough and such.

Fairegirl33
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:03 AM

dishes no... steak knives yes

Kharmoni
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM

My daughter is 6 and helps with the dishes. 

brebugmom91
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Lol. Really? SMH.
IndigoRose
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM

My kids were helping put away clean dishes when they were 4.  It was one of their first chores...

5 year olds can also help fold laundry, can take out the trash.   They can help shovel snow and get the mail.  They can make their own beds and take out and walk the dog.  5 year olds can sweep the floor and set the table, plus remove dirty dishes from the table too.

Good luck!

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM

At five they can help clear the table, fold the towels, dust furniture, put their clothes in drawers after you fold them.  That's what ours did.  They also help load the dishwasher and empty it (the non-breakable, non-pointy stuff).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN