Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

CM Docs...very scary!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM
  • 14 Replies
The last two nights, DF has woke up choking and gasping for breath. He has done this before, but not this bad and not two nights in a row. I got him to schedule an appointment, but it is not until tomorrow :-(
Anyone know what could be causing this? He is otherwise healthy, a little overweight, but works out daily, eats well, doesn't smoke, drinks only on occasion.
This is really scaring me..how do you just stop breathing in your sleep? I sat up all night watching him sleep after the episodes.
He never had sleep apnea as a child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-42-
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Sleep apnea, or it could be acid reflux. Have him elevate his head when he sleeps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superm0m877
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM

this! 

Quoting -42-:

Sleep apnea, or it could be acid reflux. Have him elevate his head when he sleeps.

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM

adult onset sleep apnea. My father has died from it multiple times now and has been revived. How does he sleep? Does he carry weight on his neck (like have a double chin)? Have him sleep with at least 3 or 4 pillows under his shoulders to prop him up tonight and tip his head back to keep his airway opened. Don't let him sleep in recliners. 

crescentstar2
by Anne on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Snot drainage
Refurbished
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Sounds like sleep apnea.  Weight loss would help him greatly if that's what it is.

daughteroftruth
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Sounds like sleep apnea. Dh does that as well. Not since he lost weight, but he would do it when he was just a little overweight.

Not sure all the causes of sleep apnea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM

He is over weight, that can cause sleep apnea in its self.  I've seen his photos before he looks like a lovely man, but encourage him to lose the weight, you want him to be around for your kids future.

miss_AP
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Most apnea develops as an adult actually, true apnea requiring treatment is actually not common in children....which I learned after my dd had a sleep study and was diagnosed with mild central apnea (the scary kind, agh! I still worry about it though the doctors say its nothing to worry about....). Have him checked out...he could have an ulcer that is causing some burning, or have some sinus issues, or some apnea, or he could be developing some swallowing/throat issues and need a swallow study. 

GL! I hope its minor and easily treated :)

Caitlin1983
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Sleep apnea!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JjcH0911
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM
This i think....

Quoting -42-:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN