Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*UPDATE FROM PARENTS* Is it irresponsible for parents to let their baby ride a Roomba?

Posted by   + Show Post

Parents Who Put Baby on Spinning Vacuum Need an Infant Safety Refresher Course (VIDEO)

Posted by Mary Fischer on January 3, 2013 

baby on roomba

You know those little circular Roomba vacuums that scoot back and forth across your floors to clean them up so you don't have to do it manually? Yeah, they're pretty cool, and they're major time savers.

But (call me crazy) -- something tells me they aren't supposed to be used as a mode of transportation for infants.

The parents of a baby girl named Aria thought it would be cute and funny to sit her down on top of their Roomba and let her take a spin around the living room and help tidy up the pine needles left over by their Christmas tree. Yes -- they let their baby ride their Roomba.

And of course, they caught the whole thing on video. Sure, it's kind of cute. But I couldn't help but gasp and want to hide my eyes throughout the whole thing. Watch the clip below, and then we'll discuss my paranoia.

OMG! Um, can you say dangerous -- not to mention pretty darn stupid?!?

Yes, I realize the thing is going very, very slow, and it's obvious that little Aria has mastered the art of balancing on top of spinning vacuums.

But the one thing that kept popping out at me was that perfect little head of hers -- and the hardwood floor beneath it. One sudden jerk or shaky move and that little girl could've toppled over and banged her head on that hard floor -- a thought that made me cringe over and over again.

When my son was a baby, I constantly worried about him smashing his head into something. I remember not even wanting to sit him on a floor that wasn't carpeted without some sort of padding beneath him out of fear that he'd hurt his poor little noggin.

And yes, I realize I was probably a bit overprotective and extreme (what new parent isn't?), but isn't that better than sitting him on top of a moving household appliance because you're too naive to think anything will go wrong?

What do you think? Were these parents being irresponsible in letting their baby ride the Roomba?

*UPDATE FROM PARENTS*

I’m both the person filming the video and also Aria’s dad. I don’t normally make a habit of jumping into internet debates, but since there are over 500 comments about our parenting (the most I’ve seen regarding our video on any website), I thought I would add a few cents to the conversation.

First, my wife and I have really enjoyed reading most of the comments in this thread. It is always great to get feedback, even if it only covers a small sliver of life. 

Second, our parenting style is about exposure both physically and mentally. The video shows one small slice of life where Aria is riding a Roomba. That slice of life by itself doesn't add up to much more than a silly minute, but summing her exposure to lots of different activities over months and years gives Aria confidence in different situations and makes her a more well rounded person. The video was taken ~3 years ago and Aria will be 4 in April. I’m confident in our parenting style because I can see the amazing little girl she has become and a glimpse of the adult she is becoming. Aria was walking at 11 months, riding a bike without training wheels, ballet classes, and zip-lining when she was 2, rock climbing outdoors, caving (she calls it looking for bears) and skiing when she was 3. Not only are we proud of her for these accomplishments, but she is proud of herself. She simply loves trying new things and has confidence in herself (and us) that she will always be reasonably safe. We do science project Saturdays, take her to the museum, build volcanos, shoot model rockets, and do color experiments to expose her mind to new things as well. The more we can expose her to the better, even crazy Roomba rides at 7 months as long as the danger level is acceptably low.

Could she have fallen off the Roomba? Sure, it is possible, but we had confidence that she would be able to stay on and we were nearby to help prevent a fall. Does the Roomba ride look pointless? Yes, if viewed as a single slice, but it is just 1 small experience amongst a myriad of others that collectively expose her to new things and build her confidence and abilities. Were we having fun making the video? Absolutely, just like all the other crazy things we do with Aria, although I’m a little embarrassed by my “woooooing.”  :-) This whole viral video thing is a new experience for her as well. Just last night we were talking with her about how she has become “internet famous.” She seemed to get a kick out of it. She got a big smile when her aunt called to tell her that she saw her on the internet.

But ultimately, the people to best asses what a specific child can or cannot do is the child’s parents. Other parents should absolutely raise their children in the best way they see fit. For us, we feel successful in the way we have raised Aria and are proud of her. Most importantly, she is proud of herself.

I intended to throw in 2 cents but I ended up throwing in 10, I guess that is because I’m her dad.

--Jon Reberry

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Replies (611-620):
akrall83
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it. it was slow and she didn't have that far to fall. I've seen so much worse.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
raynesmommy1021
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:14 AM
EXACTLY!!! Thank you

Quoting Anonymous:

omg really if she would have fell her parents where right there..

it was an inch different if she was sitting on the same hardwood floor.

god some people just want to judge everything

psychobilly_mom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg! ... NOT.
momsknowbest690
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not a toy, although mom was watching pretty carefully, the baby's fingers could get run over or a sock and toes get sucked under too. No, it was not smart. I never had any appliance like that but accidents happen to children all of the time. My daughter when she was a baby slipped in the tub and bumped her chin on the side of the tub. She bit her tongue, and had to be taken to the Dr. Another time someone put a mirror on some couch in our foyer and my son ran to jump on the couch and cut his knee on the mirror. I warned him, but he ran so fast that it was too late. They both healed up. Children do rebound though. Thank goodness. ~ From, momknowsbest690.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 107 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM

This Baby has some great abs to balance like that. what I am seeing more and more on online chats, sites, and blogs is people wanting to find ways to judge others...stuff like My way is better, I would never do that, I am right and you are wrong mentality that isn't serving any of us. I may or may not do something like some else. For instance they may be more relaxed about things or maybe more uptight about how to parent or how to live life but it is their life to live. We all need to step back a little, breathe, and allow others to live, learn, and experience life as they need to including the way others choose to parent. 

PolishMamma2
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:45 AM

The baby realy didnt seem to enjoy it at all!!! She looked like she was going with it just because her mom put her on it, but the look on her face was kinda freaked out. Maybee it wouldnt be so bad if she was a little older and enjoyed it some. when my daughter started walking she would ride the vaccume cleaner when i vaccumed...

laurissaa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:26 AM
I thought it was ADORABLE!!! Get over yourselves people!!! These people know their child!!! Very cute holiday fun! Wait and see what happens when she can walk and goes to play outside! That's when the scars and stitches begin!
cdjak
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I agree. For Heaven's sake, the mom was right there, and it's not that big of a deal. They are obviously not neglectful or abusive parents. I don't see any issue with this. Now if they put her on there and just walked away, that would be something else. Don't people have bigger issues in the world to get all up in arms and upset over? 

Quoting Vhx:

Eh. They were right there and the thing goes like 0.1mph. No more irresponsible than letting them ride around on one of those infernal noisemaking ride-ons.

And banging her head? Really? She probably bangs her head a dozen times a day learning to walk. And from a lot higher up too, given that she has her legs under her when that happens.

Overprotective nonsense.

SoldotnaMama
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:52 AM

She won't be an infant forever.  How can she get any fun out of turning three and terrorizing her parents with risk-taking behavior, if they've been terrorizing her by taking risks with her the whole time?

Seriously, though, a huge part of children's excitement about exploring the world (a.k.a. learning) has to do with their sense of security:  that Mom and Pop are on guard, protecting them as as they go on their fearsome ways.  They depend on us to keep the eye in the back of our heads open as they conquer the world; biting our lips over the acceptable (a.k.a. kissable boo-boo, not 911-worthy) risks and putting an instant stop to the kind of adventures that can get them seriously hurt.

Whether it happens on-camera or off, that little girl is in for a tumble.  When that happens, for her it'll be the worst, most painful thing to occur in the history of Earth. Worse, it will be the result of Mommy's and/or Daddy's instigation-- the very people she trusts to protect her from horrible owies!  The worst injury won't be the goose egg on her poor little head--it'll be the invisible one on her trust for her parents.

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:00 AM

You know I remember when I was little getting hurt a lot. Nothing too bad some things required stitches or glue, somethings involved surgery...I remember the injuries really sucking especially the oral surgery. I also hated my grandmother yelling at me in Spanglish telling me that I was still going to wear the bloody clothing so that people knew the stupidness I was doing...riding a bike that was too big for me...gashed my knee...it was gross.

I remember one thing though. My mom was notup my ass when I was having fun. Even if fun involved seeing my favorite people at the ER!

I like to think that I am raising my daughter the way I was raised. Does she get hurt? Yes. Has she had broken bones? Yes. Stitches? Yup! Glue? Only way to close the gash on her foot. She knows not to do flips off the couch, she finally knows that's a bad idea...one broken metacarpal and finger later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)