Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*UPDATE FROM PARENTS* Is it irresponsible for parents to let their baby ride a Roomba?

Posted by   + Show Post

Parents Who Put Baby on Spinning Vacuum Need an Infant Safety Refresher Course (VIDEO)

Posted by Mary Fischer on January 3, 2013 

baby on roomba

You know those little circular Roomba vacuums that scoot back and forth across your floors to clean them up so you don't have to do it manually? Yeah, they're pretty cool, and they're major time savers.

But (call me crazy) -- something tells me they aren't supposed to be used as a mode of transportation for infants.

The parents of a baby girl named Aria thought it would be cute and funny to sit her down on top of their Roomba and let her take a spin around the living room and help tidy up the pine needles left over by their Christmas tree. Yes -- they let their baby ride their Roomba.

And of course, they caught the whole thing on video. Sure, it's kind of cute. But I couldn't help but gasp and want to hide my eyes throughout the whole thing. Watch the clip below, and then we'll discuss my paranoia.

OMG! Um, can you say dangerous -- not to mention pretty darn stupid?!?

Yes, I realize the thing is going very, very slow, and it's obvious that little Aria has mastered the art of balancing on top of spinning vacuums.

But the one thing that kept popping out at me was that perfect little head of hers -- and the hardwood floor beneath it. One sudden jerk or shaky move and that little girl could've toppled over and banged her head on that hard floor -- a thought that made me cringe over and over again.

When my son was a baby, I constantly worried about him smashing his head into something. I remember not even wanting to sit him on a floor that wasn't carpeted without some sort of padding beneath him out of fear that he'd hurt his poor little noggin.

And yes, I realize I was probably a bit overprotective and extreme (what new parent isn't?), but isn't that better than sitting him on top of a moving household appliance because you're too naive to think anything will go wrong?

What do you think? Were these parents being irresponsible in letting their baby ride the Roomba?

*UPDATE FROM PARENTS*

I’m both the person filming the video and also Aria’s dad. I don’t normally make a habit of jumping into internet debates, but since there are over 500 comments about our parenting (the most I’ve seen regarding our video on any website), I thought I would add a few cents to the conversation.

First, my wife and I have really enjoyed reading most of the comments in this thread. It is always great to get feedback, even if it only covers a small sliver of life. 

Second, our parenting style is about exposure both physically and mentally. The video shows one small slice of life where Aria is riding a Roomba. That slice of life by itself doesn't add up to much more than a silly minute, but summing her exposure to lots of different activities over months and years gives Aria confidence in different situations and makes her a more well rounded person. The video was taken ~3 years ago and Aria will be 4 in April. I’m confident in our parenting style because I can see the amazing little girl she has become and a glimpse of the adult she is becoming. Aria was walking at 11 months, riding a bike without training wheels, ballet classes, and zip-lining when she was 2, rock climbing outdoors, caving (she calls it looking for bears) and skiing when she was 3. Not only are we proud of her for these accomplishments, but she is proud of herself. She simply loves trying new things and has confidence in herself (and us) that she will always be reasonably safe. We do science project Saturdays, take her to the museum, build volcanos, shoot model rockets, and do color experiments to expose her mind to new things as well. The more we can expose her to the better, even crazy Roomba rides at 7 months as long as the danger level is acceptably low.

Could she have fallen off the Roomba? Sure, it is possible, but we had confidence that she would be able to stay on and we were nearby to help prevent a fall. Does the Roomba ride look pointless? Yes, if viewed as a single slice, but it is just 1 small experience amongst a myriad of others that collectively expose her to new things and build her confidence and abilities. Were we having fun making the video? Absolutely, just like all the other crazy things we do with Aria, although I’m a little embarrassed by my “woooooing.”  :-) This whole viral video thing is a new experience for her as well. Just last night we were talking with her about how she has become “internet famous.” She seemed to get a kick out of it. She got a big smile when her aunt called to tell her that she saw her on the internet.

But ultimately, the people to best asses what a specific child can or cannot do is the child’s parents. Other parents should absolutely raise their children in the best way they see fit. For us, we feel successful in the way we have raised Aria and are proud of her. Most importantly, she is proud of herself.

I intended to throw in 2 cents but I ended up throwing in 10, I guess that is because I’m her dad.

--Jon Reberry

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Replies (811-820):
momto3infl
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I think it is cute and funny.  I am not one to be over protective even with my first born.  If watched while on it I dont see the issue and it was fun and cute.  Sometime I think some thing can be taken wrong and other times then can be seemed dangerous to the mental health of a child.  In this case I see nothing wrong.

julie515
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:38 AM
I tend to be cautious... but it seems better than falling from standing. Both my kids have fallen onto hard floors off of things, but they were older and climbing. Well, no... my oldest fell on our hardwood floor as a baby. He was sitting and fell over randomly.
I wouldn't do this, but if the vacuum is slow, then I don't think it's a big deal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.sugar.kisses.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Great Answer Dad!! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lorissa11
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

It's there kid, their business!

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I love the update. 

Didn't I call it on the first page?  Yes, I think I did.   You're welcome.  ;)

Vhx
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Love the update, and what an awesome childhood they're giving her! She'll be one of the few children of her generation with memories of having REAL fun.

TurboMom81
Luke 2:10-11: And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.
Today at 3:02 PM
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Love the update! She sounds like an amazing little girl!

MrsMamaWhite
by Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Her mom was right there so I don't see the problem. Parents know their children's limitations and body movements. Her mother would have probably caught her in time before she even hit the floor.

LadyFreeRider
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM
I dont see an issue with it. After reading the update from the dad I say, good for them! The accomplishments that this little girl has done in her few years are outstanding and I'm willing to bet she will be one heck of a woman when she grows up :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aeroslove
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM

haha so glad the parents of the girl who is 4 came to talk. People should expose there kids to different things. Even if they are dangerous. Gives a child more things to do and see. To talk about it in the future that there parents where adventerous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN