Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think he may have a personality disorder, advice

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have a 20 year old cousin, His mother died a few years ago in a car accident, then his brother went to prison for 5 years. His father isnt much of a father most days he lays in bed all day.

Im friends with my cousin on FB. I see all his posts and the disturbe me. I think mabey he has some sort of personality disorder or something else. Ill Give some examples of this hes done.

- the other night on NYE, He supposibly got so drunk that he lost his truck..the funny thing about this is HE HAS NO DRIVERS LICENSE let alone a truck.He went all out to, making up some expensive truck, and saying he found it in his ex gfs drive way.

- this morning he posts this picture of a fit cut body, of a man that quite oviously WAS NOT him! Theres no way in hell it was him. His other Aunt says "nice try bud thats def. not you! " and he kept going on and on about how it was def. him, even after he was called out.

-He keeps telling people that hes moved away, but hasnt.

-Says hes going to become a navy seal, yet he cant even join the military because he got a special education diploma.. or at least thats what he was told by a recuitor. IDK.

-Posted a picture of his brothers truck before his brother went to prison and acted like it was his.

Theres alot more but i really can't think of them now, It concerns me because he is a 20 year old. I could understand a 13 year old making up crazy stuff,but he is an adult. I need to speak to my uncle about this but i have no idea how to explain it to him, or what could be done. I know he needs some sort of help, this isnt normal behavior for a guy his age. The thing that is the craziest to me , is people call him out on this stuff and he still insists its for real.

Tanya♥-  Wife to Austin (8~26~05),Mother to Ethan (7~29~05),Landon(3~05~2007) &Dylan(7~02~2010)M/c survivor (10~05~2008),I love everything about life, The ups the downs! I believe life is very precious!I love My family, friends. I'm pretty easy to get along with, though i do have my bitch fits often ;). I am very out spoken when i feel its needed.I love god and depend on god alot to get me through this crazy thing called life.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mommy2eblb
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM

bump

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM
it sounds like low self-esteem.

you would be able to better justify a 13 year old acting this way because 13 year olds crave acceptance from their peers and if they suffer from low self-esteem, they'll fabricate a lifestyle that they think will gain them the acceptance they crave. and adults will think 'oh, we'll they're young. they just want to fit in.'

but here we have an adult-who hasn't had much acceptance from his own family. most people, as they mature, are able to gain some confidence. so while they might have bad days, they know that there's enough good things about them that it doesn't matter if everyone doesn't like them. they have enough self-esteem. but your cousin-hasn't had much of that acceptance so he was never really able to mature into a mindset where it doesn't matter if everyone doesn't like him-so he fabricates these situations to gain that acceptance from other people.

does that make sense?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superm0m877
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM

ive seen people behave like this after the loss of a close family member. It's their way of coping I suppose. They want sympathy, and/or trying to make it look like their life is better than it actually is. They make up jobs, girlfriends, cars, homes, etc. He needs counseling and he obviously is dying for attention so if there is any way you can spend a little time with him and be someone he can talk to that might help. 

mantyangel
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Sounds like his life sucks so he makes up crap to make himself look better.  Sounds like a normal immature man to me.  The good ones are rare now.

mommy2eblb
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:34 PM

yes that makes sense, thanks

Quoting spooky415:

it sounds like low self-esteem.

you would be able to better justify a 13 year old acting this way because 13 year olds crave acceptance from their peers and if they suffer from low self-esteem, they'll fabricate a lifestyle that they think will gain them the acceptance they crave. and adults will think 'oh, we'll they're young. they just want to fit in.'

but here we have an adult-who hasn't had much acceptance from his own family. most people, as they mature, are able to gain some confidence. so while they might have bad days, they know that there's enough good things about them that it doesn't matter if everyone doesn't like them. they have enough self-esteem. but your cousin-hasn't had much of that acceptance so he was never really able to mature into a mindset where it doesn't matter if everyone doesn't like him-so he fabricates these situations to gain that acceptance from other people.

does that make sense?

Tanya♥-  Wife to Austin (8~26~05),Mother to Ethan (7~29~05),Landon(3~05~2007) &Dylan(7~02~2010)M/c survivor (10~05~2008),I love everything about life, The ups the downs! I believe life is very precious!I love My family, friends. I'm pretty easy to get along with, though i do have my bitch fits often ;). I am very out spoken when i feel its needed.I love god and depend on god alot to get me through this crazy thing called life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN