Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My walmart story! INSANE! Food stamps related.

Posted by   + Show Post

So I read walmart stories or stories about people saying something about food stamps to someone. I was on food stamps when I was a single parent, for about 2yrs and never had anyone say anything to me BUT I am not on them anymore, my dh makes enough where we don't need any PA or I wouldn't be staying home.

Anyways, today I went shopping and got $200 worth of groceries, my cart was completely full. I start unloading the cart and a lady with a teenage daughter comes behind me and scoffs "of course I get stuck behind someone with a lot of groceries" I don't say anything and keep unloading. I'm unloaded and talking to the cashier, mostly about my DD and how nice it is that my other 2 went back to school today and how I am a SAHM so going grocery shopping at 8am is so much easier than waiting for my DH to come home at 6pm. The lady behind me starts talking about food stamps and how she pays her taxes so young women can sit at home and do shit while using the government. Shes RANTING about this to her daughter and she keeps getting louder then starts shooting me dirty looks and at this point I realize she is talking about ME. This goes on for the whole time I am checking out and getting my groceries in the cart. Finally I am on the last few things and she says something about young teens using the system and the cashier gives me a look and I roll my eyes (I know wrong move but I didn't intentionally do it either) the lady behind me sees and FLIPS out! She's in my face screaming at me how I should be grateful and be on my knees thanking her for paying my way in life. The manager at this point comes up and asks if everything is ok. I tell him everything is fine (the lady stopped screaming though she was still standing really close), the cashier tells me my total which enrages the lady again and she goes "oh my god seriously people should stop having kids or get a fucking job". I pull out my debit card and hold it where she can see it and say "I am gonna pay with my debit card is that ok with you?" The ladys face turns BEAT red and she backs up. I pay and turn to her and tell her that "I am not a teen I am 26, I have 3 kids and am blessed to have a husband with a job to allow me to stay home without being on public assistance, but I don't think anyone who needs it should be ashamed and no one should ever make them feel ashamed either." She starts to apologize and I tell her don't, the only one she should apologize to is her daughter for being such an embarassment. I then handed her my therapist card (my dh and I are in marriage counseling to work on communication) and tell her she needs to get her anger under control and to have a great day. Then left.

I am SO surprised I kept my cool cause I really wanted to hit this lady and I have a temper problem but I knew if I got upset it would have ended worse at even while she is screaming at my my DD who's 2 was still calm and I didn't want to upset her. But you hear these stories and they seem so...untrue till it happens to you!

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Replies (121-126):
Aeonix
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Wow you handled it well. I don't know that I could have kept my cool like that.
Zacksmama82411
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I would still be offended, because people are too quiick to judge. People already have said that before (my sister who receives food stamps) and on our way home from getting our kids pictures with santa we some how got on the subject on what we make. I normally do not talk about this, but she told me what she takes home after taxes and was like "that must be chump change to you" and I replied back "um, you take home more than I do." She thought that I make way more than she does, just because we are a dual income and dh had fixed her car for her and told her not to worry about the parts, it was a christmas present (parts were $30 after his discount and coupons)
So I do get offended. Just like when my husband and I were at a restraunt on Monday, and had our son with us, this lady kept looking, staring at me, then my husband and our son. I have huge holes in my ears and dh is 9 years olderrthan me, so we are an odd couple. When she saw my 16 month old doing sign language and how well he behaved, she APOLOGIZED for being so rude.

Quoting msjaxon:

Its not insulting unless there is something wrong with it. *facepalm* if someone assumes you're rich would you say "please don't insult me like that"

Any assumption is not bad.

Quoting Zacksmama82411:

I'm not even going to go there. I was not insinuating that, I was just making it a point that it's insulting when someone ASSUMES your getting assistance, because people DO look down on people for it. I for one, do not, because you don't know my story, my SISTER is a single mom, who NEEDS her assistance, she works 40 hours a week and still cannot afford to pay for food/rent and bills. So I totally support it. But, it is insulting when someone just assumes. THAT was the point.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Zacksmama82411:

Ugh! I hate people like that!!! What drives me crazy is that when I go grocery shopping, I always put my milk up first, then my eggs and bread (so they can put them in the basket to the side before everything else, because i used to be a cashier, I know the best way to pack them.) Well, the cashiers alway look at DS, look at me, then they ring in the milk and bread, and ask for my WIC check! I'm like, um, I have never ever been on PA, please do not insult me like that! Just because I'm shopping with my 16 month old, doesn't mean that I'm on WIC. My husband and I work hard to pay for what we have... People need to stop stereotyping other people... that is what is wrong with this society!!

I know you didn't mean too, but the fact that you say it insults you, that someone assumes you are on WIC is kind of offensive. You just implied there is something to be ashamed of if you have to use them, like we are somehow less than you and don't work hard, and  WIC is not the same as Food Stamps.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
marie661
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM
I know what you mean!i get groceries weekly and I fill up the cart and people assume your paying with fs.i go on sales dates and get a shopping cart full of food for 150.or less
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM

What is sad my old college roommate always told me not to go to Walmart at the first of the months because thats when a majority of people get their checks and their FS. 

I really wanna go (i'm 24 and look 18) and buy a whole bunch of groceries to see if this happens to me cuz I think i would be like you but i would have smiled and said No my sugar daddy pays my shit. (in truth my DH does) 

Quoting Mommynwife26:

It actually doesnt. I had diapers in the cart too so that took up some space. I have a family of 5 so we go through a lot of groceries. She probaby thought I was buying my whole months worth of groceries or something lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand why people assume everyone is on pa just because they have a cart full. News flash, those carts don't hold much!! Lol so by the time you get it all on the counter it isn't all that much!

Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Bahaha that be interesting. I've never had issues, I go the day after my dh gets paid and he gets paid every other Wednesday so sometimes it is the beginning sometimes not. Walmart does get busy though cause of it. But its not just walmart its any store.

Quoting Anonymous:

What is sad my old college roommate always told me not to go to Walmart at the first of the months because thats when a majority of people get their checks and their FS. 

I really wanna go (i'm 24 and look 18) and buy a whole bunch of groceries to see if this happens to me cuz I think i would be like you but i would have smiled and said No my sugar daddy pays my shit. (in truth my DH does) 

Quoting Mommynwife26:

It actually doesnt. I had diapers in the cart too so that took up some space. I have a family of 5 so we go through a lot of groceries. She probaby thought I was buying my whole months worth of groceries or something lol. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand why people assume everyone is on pa just because they have a cart full. News flash, those carts don't hold much!! Lol so by the time you get it all on the counter it isn't all that much!

steveshouse
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Excellent job in controlling yourself, Walmart is a fight zone, Congrats to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN