Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why is Everyone so pissed off about Food Stamps but Not Healthcare?

Posted by   + Show Post

how come everyone gets so pissy about food stamps but not pissy about people receiving FREE healthcare? I don't care the peolple who don't work get free food. Doesn't bother me one bit. What does bother me is that my husband works his ass of and we pay out the ass for healthcare each month and then on top of that each year and then each month for my prescribtions. But people who don't work, EVERY damn medical thing for free. 

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Paragraphs would be nice so I can read what you wrote. It really hurts the eyes.

Quoting LilliesValley:

Well we don't have any health insurance. We don't qualify for medicaid or anything (because we supposedly make to much $2000 a month and I have pre-existing conditions so paying for health insurance out of pocket is not an option. My husband works full time currently but has part time status, basically they're nice enough to give him 40 hours. He doesn't get paid for holidays or anything. When I got sick 2 years ago I worked for a year and then had to take FMLA and then couldn't go back. Currently I work part time, but I'll never work full time. I could have applied for disability, but I want to work part time (Honestly I want to work full time but again can't). My hubby is a vet so we have no worries for him but he wasn't career so my daughter and I don't have health insurance. I'm looking forward to being able to get some sort of health insurance this year with Obama care. I know this program isn't a grand thing for everyone but for me and mine it is nice. If I wanted private health insurance it was going to be $600 a month with my conditions. It's just not possible. I have no been able to afford medications since I lost my health care benefit last January, so no scripts or nothing. All things considered I'm doing pretty well, but would I love to have insurance absolutely. For some people they need those medical benefits as much as they need food. I get a certain amount of pride out of the work I do, even if it is part time and I know others do too. Not everyone gets EVERY medical thing for free. My cousin is on disability and pays over $2000 a month in prescriptions. Because of a new medication that she needs to be on that is soon to be $3000 a month. That's kind of insane. She has her monthly plan that she's in and the government helped to get her in to it but she still has her responsibilities for monthly premiums, deductibles and co-pays. I worked for a pharmacy, well one for 5 year and another for 3, and I rarely saw anyone who did not have a co-pay. If they did they had usually hit their maximum out of pocket. Were there a few people on medicaid that didn't have a co-pay, yes, but that became more and more rare. I did have a lady driving a Cadillac, with hair and nails done, coach purse and wallet and brand name clothes come through (drive thru) and complain about her $3 co-pay one time. That I will admit irritated me. Even working at the pharmacy my co-pays were never that low. There's just no set rules that will work for everyone and I know if you have something but you are working REALLY hard for it, it does suck when it seems like some people are getting something for nothing and taking advantage of it. I've been upper middle class right down to where I am at now which is poor and I've seen a lot of sides and had varying opinions over the course of that time. From what I see the majority of people on assistance need it for a certain length of time and get on their feet and our grateful of the time they had on PA but don't want to go there again. Again, not everyone is like this, but I never thought I would get a sick as I did or ever not work full time. Never thought I'd have to go to a food pantry for food or take money from my parents hoping to pay it back when I can. Things happen that we can't always control or plan for. could I have planned a little better, certainly. It would be vain and ignorant of me to say otherwise. Have I come a long way, absolutely.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I never see anyone complain about the money spent on war but will shit bricks when they hear about someone receiving government assistance. Guess it is ok to go blow people up but not ok to feed someone.

beethann
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I never see anyone complain about the money spent on war but will shit bricks when they hear about someone receiving government assistance. Guess it is ok to go blow people up but not ok to feed someone.

This is some good perspective!

T-HoneyLuv
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:08 PM
My son and many others NEED healthcare to survive. You should be angry at the Drs who committ Medicaid fraud, the insurance companies for their outrageous cost of medications, and the fact that a Dr or Hospital can charge 500.00 for a fucking finger stick blood test. There is SO much wrong with our healthcare system.

Quoting beethann:

Quoting Angelicembrace:

*shrug* all honesty I feel healthcare is a human right, and it shouldn't be at the cost of huge amounts of debt.

But food is a basic nessessacity, we need it to SURVIVE. we don't need healthcare to survive. Especially when some are going to ER to get a damn pregnancy test. or stupid little shit like that. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Fixed on page 2. Sorry, I just kind of type and check my spelling, will try to remember that! LOL!

Quoting Anonymous:

Paragraphs would be nice so I can read what you wrote. It really hurts the eyes.

Quoting LilliesValley:

Well we don't have any health insurance. We don't qualify for medicaid or anything (because we supposedly make to much $2000 a month and I have pre-existing conditions so paying for health insurance out of pocket is not an option. My husband works full time currently but has part time status, basically they're nice enough to give him 40 hours. He doesn't get paid for holidays or anything. When I got sick 2 years ago I worked for a year and then had to take FMLA and then couldn't go back. Currently I work part time, but I'll never work full time. I could have applied for disability, but I want to work part time (Honestly I want to work full time but again can't). My hubby is a vet so we have no worries for him but he wasn't career so my daughter and I don't have health insurance. I'm looking forward to being able to get some sort of health insurance this year with Obama care. I know this program isn't a grand thing for everyone but for me and mine it is nice. If I wanted private health insurance it was going to be $600 a month with my conditions. It's just not possible. I have no been able to afford medications since I lost my health care benefit last January, so no scripts or nothing. All things considered I'm doing pretty well, but would I love to have insurance absolutely. For some people they need those medical benefits as much as they need food. I get a certain amount of pride out of the work I do, even if it is part time and I know others do too. Not everyone gets EVERY medical thing for free. My cousin is on disability and pays over $2000 a month in prescriptions. Because of a new medication that she needs to be on that is soon to be $3000 a month. That's kind of insane. She has her monthly plan that she's in and the government helped to get her in to it but she still has her responsibilities for monthly premiums, deductibles and co-pays. I worked for a pharmacy, well one for 5 year and another for 3, and I rarely saw anyone who did not have a co-pay. If they did they had usually hit their maximum out of pocket. Were there a few people on medicaid that didn't have a co-pay, yes, but that became more and more rare. I did have a lady driving a Cadillac, with hair and nails done, coach purse and wallet and brand name clothes come through (drive thru) and complain about her $3 co-pay one time. That I will admit irritated me. Even working at the pharmacy my co-pays were never that low. There's just no set rules that will work for everyone and I know if you have something but you are working REALLY hard for it, it does suck when it seems like some people are getting something for nothing and taking advantage of it. I've been upper middle class right down to where I am at now which is poor and I've seen a lot of sides and had varying opinions over the course of that time. From what I see the majority of people on assistance need it for a certain length of time and get on their feet and our grateful of the time they had on PA but don't want to go there again. Again, not everyone is like this, but I never thought I would get a sick as I did or ever not work full time. Never thought I'd have to go to a food pantry for food or take money from my parents hoping to pay it back when I can. Things happen that we can't always control or plan for. could I have planned a little better, certainly. It would be vain and ignorant of me to say otherwise. Have I come a long way, absolutely.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Only children and disabled adults really get medicaid. Income requirements are very low for healthy adults. I have no problem with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM
I am pissed since Obama care has put quite a few small business out of business. Pissed VCR most companies only hire temp to avoid Obama care. I could go on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM
You can still get disability while working part time and would open you up for some kind of medicaid, at the very least. I'm sorry your in this position :/

Quoting LilliesValley:

Fixed on page 2. Sorry, I just kind of type and check my spelling, will try to remember that! LOL!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Iwas in the military and completely agree. People only care when it directly affects them.

Quoting beethann:

Quoting Anonymous:

This is some good perspective!

April620
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM
I qualify for fs but somehow make too much for medicaid. Super lame.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)