Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Children's vs infants Tylenol

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I was thinking about switching my 33lb one year old from infants Tylenol to children's. I am out of the infants Tylenol but have a bottle of liquid children's. I think my oldest was about between 1-2 when I switched over.

Anyways I looked up a dosage guide online. The guide said for his weight to give 5ml which is the same amount that I suppose to give him with infants Tylenol....

So I looked at the bottles and they both have 160mg per 5ml!

Soooo

Is there really not a difference other than the size of the bottle they come in??
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Even the infants says ages 2-3...

So your not suppose to give a kid Tylenol until they are two?

Quoting KeimUNCmomof3:

It's best to wait until your child is two years old and then give the correct dose for the age & weight.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I'm going to try to get this to make sense. In 5ml of infants tylenol, there is less acetaminophen than in 5ml of childrens tylenol. They only recently changed this. However, you always go by weight over age when possible. If your child is 33 lbs, then you can safely use the dosing for his weight on the children's tylenol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Not according to the bottle or their website.

According to both, there is 160mg of acetaminophen in every 5ml of children's Tylenol. There is also 160mg of acetaminophen in every 5mls of infants Tylenol...

So to me that means they are the same

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm going to try to get this to make sense. In 5ml of infants tylenol, there is less acetaminophen than in 5ml of childrens tylenol. They only recently changed this. However, you always go by weight over age when possible. If your child is 33 lbs, then you can safely use the dosing for his weight on the children's tylenol.

KeimUNCmomof3
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM

No, you can give a newborn infant tylenol.  I was talking about the children's tylenol.  The difference supposedly is the infant is more diluted, or so I was told by a Pediatrician.

Quoting Anonymous:

Even the infants says ages 2-3...

So your not suppose to give a kid Tylenol until they are two?

Quoting KeimUNCmomof3:

It's best to wait until your child is two years old and then give the correct dose for the age & weight.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I believe both forms are still being sold. The old version and the new version. Either way you still go by weight.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not according to the bottle or their website.

According to both, there is 160mg of acetaminophen in every 5ml of children's Tylenol. There is also 160mg of acetaminophen in every 5mls of infants Tylenol...

So to me that means they are the same

Quoting Anonymous:

BabyTeki
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Same medicine, different packaging. Now advil is different, but tylenol is not
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:32 PM

My doc said there is no difference, just the size of the dose.   He tole me to go ahead and buy childrens for my 6 month old and just give him half a dose... (that would be 2.5 ml instead of 5.)

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Just went through this by the way because my kid was sick with fever and croup for almost two weeks, he's just now starting to clear up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:50 PM
At our ER they gave my oldest children's tylenol at 12 months, I have used children's for her ever since. I switched my youngest to children's at a year also.
Quentinsmamma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM
There is absolutely no difference in the formula of the medication. The only difference is the packaging and the dosages. For infants they give u the 0.8 ml dropper to get a more accurate smaller dose. Your 33lb baby can take 5ml (1tsp) of either children's or infants Tylenol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN