Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i really just dont know what to do

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies

my dad is a heavy smoker, he has emphysema and copd and he now has pneumonia. earlier today he was going to use his nebulizer the doc wants him to use due to the pnemonia and he couldnt breath and passed out and his head hit the freezer and he has a bruise on the side of his head, my mom and i have been trying to get him to go to the hospital but he wont go he says that he cant afford it but i think he is also scared to go. well now a little bit ago my mom saw my dad like shaking and her words "not in this world" and his face was really red. when she asked him what was going on he said he was trying to catch his breath. anyway im so scared and i just dont know what to do. i forgot to mention that about 3 years ago the doctor said if he dont quit smoking he has 5 years to live maybe 10 if he is lucky.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM

My FIL was diagnosed with emphysema a few years back (maybe 6 or 7 years ago). He has liver failure (final stages), and he has congestive heart failure. He is 68 years old, an avid smoker and was a hardcore alcoholic for most of his life. He has been on oxygen and doing the nebulizer for the last 2 years. About once a year he spends around 2 weeks in the hospital, and every time the doctor tells him he has months to live if he doesn't quit smoking or drinking. Just last year, he quit drinking (for the most part), he will never quit smoking, and he was told he had about 5 months to live because of his liver failure... Well, here he is, still with us, but right now is in the hospital because he can no longer breath with just the oxygen or nebulizer. We are hoping he pulls through and gets stabilized, but I know as soon as he gets home, he will be smoking again, and everyone in that damn house smokes, no one has any respect for anyone else in that house. SMH. 

Basically what I'm saying is, make your dad go to the hospital, the sooner the better. He could have years left! I know with my FIL he would refuse to go, and my MIL would have to call an ambulance to get him to the hospital... if that's what it takes, then do it! 

mom2006and2010
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM

BUMP!

jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Call an ambulance
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN