Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
My DS woke up today feeling not so good the morning went on nd he got worse..we got lucky and could see the dr at 2:30 so we go and the dr said it was just a cold. Around 6:30 i noticed he felt warm so i ran to walgreens to get a thermometer and checked his temp when i got home and it was 103.0 i gave him some medicine..i just checked it again around 9:30 and it was 103.9..im thinking it may be lower since he has a shirt on and hes bundled up in his quilt and the heat is on..i tried to take his shirt off but he wouldnt let me so i uncovered him a little bit so he can cool off.

What should i do?? SO is saying take him to the ER but my moms saying give him more tylenol since thats what the ER doctors are gonna do. I dont know what to do!!,
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Replies (51-55):
4kids4tara
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

keep him covered with a light weight blanket and light weight jammies.All the covers are helping drive up the fever ,alternate tylenol and motrin ,keep him hydrated with cool or room temp fluids.Fever always goes up at night.Keep an eye on him.Do you have a 24 hr  med line to call with your pedi ?If so call they will make you feel more secure.

This exactly. Don't give a cold bath (lukewarm is best), alternate Tylenol and Motrin. Temps always go up at night. Take him back in tomorrow. Could be strep, ear infection, etc. Lowering a temp too fast is bad, too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:52 AM

103 is a moderate fever.  Unless there are other signs of an emergency you are wasting others time and in all theory could cost someone their life.

Quoting girltryin12:

Ummm because my child has high fever....

Quoting Anonymous:

They would tell you to give Motrin and go home. Why would waste time of nurses and doctors who could be treating someone who was really in need?

Quoting girltryin12:

I would have been at the er at 103.0....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:53 AM

give him a tepid bath....start it out warm, then gradually add more cool water...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:04 AM
My kids pedi said to not worry until it hits 108. Lol yeah she isn't going to be our pedi anymore. Just give him some meds, cool bath and keep an eye on him. The er isn't going to do anything other than give him Tylenol and send you home. Over Christmas my 6 year old had the cold with a high fever like that. Our pedi didn't do anything other than tell me to give her meds and watch her. A cold has to run its course!
2under5.mom
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Thank you ladies!! I gave him some tylenol and woke him up a couple times in his sleep so he can drink some water..i checked him temp before i left for work and it was 101.9 its going down!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)