Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need serious advice from moms with (4-5 yr olds)!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 61 Replies

Hi!  I have a very stubborn 4 (almost 5) year old.  She seems to have a hard time paying attention whenever I try to have her practice doing things out of her kindergarten book (like practicing letters, numbers, etc).  She get's 10 minutes in and starts having melt downs.  She can barely write her name at this age.  She also doesn't follow any sort of directions and thinks any sort of discipline is a joke.  She already says she "hates me." And slams her door all of the time.  I feel like I'm living with a teenager.  I do spoil her but I'm starting to feel like all of this might be something more.  Do any of you ladies with kids of similar age act this way?  Or is this a sign of some kind of learning disability.  Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM
2 moms liked this
All normal.
This is how my almost 5 year old is.
It's a phase. Just be consistent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Do you force her to sit and learn? or make it fun? I work with my 3.5yo, and we only do as much as he likes, usually in short bits all throughout the day.

Other than that, I have no idea. but no, its not normal. healthy kids her age need to learn how to sit and do what they need to do without having a fit if they are going to be successful in kindergarten.

poshkat
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM
2 moms liked this

shes 4. she does not need to be doing more than 10 minutes worth of work. its what most of them are capable of anyway. you'd be surprised how many kids come into kindergarten without knowing how to write their names or their letters. Ds tells me he hates me on an almost daily basis because im "mean" because i make him eat his dinner, and dress himself (he'll be 6 on the 23rd). when she starts her tantrums, take her out of the situation by taking her to her room to take a break.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I would not stress over learning time. at that age, it should be something fun and enjoyable, not stressful.
My son started writing his own name right before he started kindergarten at 5.5 yrs. She will get it.
see_see
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Hate is a bad word in my house. I don't say it, hubby doesn't say it, and neither kid has ever said it.
secondly, she sounds normla. 10 minutes is the usual attention span of that age. Try to play learning games rather than book work. More fun. As for the attitude, let her know its not acceptable and give her time out for it otherwise she will keep on.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Veronica on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM
My 4 year old does the same with her workbooks.
brebugmom91
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Sounds normal. She's testing you. Imo they don't start geting hard until 4. Lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies!  It really makes me feel so much better to know that I am not alone in this

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I would say the attention span is normal, but I would get a handle on the attitude.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Could be a learning disabiltity but usually difficult to tell at that age. Talk to her teacher. She may be able to tell you if she sees some of the same behaviors at school. If so you might want to look into it. If not it could just be a behavior at home but her teacher should be able to help you decipher which it could be. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)