Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think Walt Disney sucks, they profit off the disability!

Posted by   + Show Post

OK so after much research and planning and trying to organize this trip for my poor disabled mother who can barely walk and me being deaf I have realized that Walt Disney is very good about helping the disabled (which is great) however they charge fees left and right to use their disability services! WTF? How can they actually believe they are doing better and making the trip BETTER by charging more FEES and outragious fees because you happen to be disabled!?

So for example they charge you $50 bucks a DAY just to rent a scooter if you are crippled. Um ok... I dont mind paying the $200 deposit that is understandable but $50 bucks a day? I am also disgusted that they also charge $40 bucks a day to use a captioning device for the deaf! WTH? $40 a day??? This is seriously profiting off those that are disabled!

My college does not charge me fees for being deaf, not for interpreters or devices. But yet Disney World charges for everything... Except interpreters I think. Hell maybe they charge for that too. 

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Replies (341-350):
cmaywill109
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Oh yes, I plan on her learning sign language. She knows a few signs already. And as her parents we should know it too. We know a little but still have a long way to go.

When deciding on what colors to get for the external piece, at first we were like maybe colors that will kinda blend in. But I didn't want her to be ashamed or feel like we are ashamed because were not. Honestly, when they told me she was deaf I was devastated. I didn't know anybody that was deaf and I thought everything I dreamed about for her was never going to happen. I cried so much. Looking back now, I was an idiot. She is so smart and very capable. And when she does do something, like signing a new word or trying to say another it makes my heart melt because we worked so hard. I know she is able and can do anything she puts her stubborn little mind to.

I do still worry about her and especially as she grows and I can't be at her side all the time. Kids are mean and can be cruel. Thankfully she goes to a school with other kids that have hearing aids/ implants so she sees other kids have them. When she has to go to public school and if she doesn't like then I will homeschool her. Whatever I can do to help her I will. So far kids have asked me what it is but non have ever teased her. So we will see.

Quoting thetrollcat:

OMG you mnow exactly what I go through then!

I know when kids are younger they are more paranoid about people seeing their devices (hearing aids or glasses) but really kids are cruel and extremely judgemental. Sadly women never out grow that. But as we get older we realize that part of our disability is harder if we just dont accept the truth and let it be known. Sometimes its not always helpful especially for those that can speak, like me.

People get confused why I can speak but yet I am deaf. Reason is because I simply do not wear my hearing aids anymore secondly I had more hearing when I was younger. I lost a lot of hearing over the years as I aged and will continue to lose more as I age more.

I think it is more frustrating to be hard of hearing... Especially people like me that can do well, lip read, can speak, are functional verses those that are simply born deaf. Your daughter will go through the same things I go through.

You as a parent always having to tell people she cannot hear. She will experience these problems when you are not around... It is very aggitating and frustrating. What makes it worse if you tell them you are hard of hearing! I have learned to stop saying that why? Because they assume hard of hearing means you hear, just scream or yell. Sadly with my type of hearing loss you can scream and yell on the top of our lungs I am not going understand you any more than if you just whispered. While I can hear some sounds I cannot make out or understand what the sound is or what you are saying. More or less even with some hearing I am still considered deaf when it comes to understanding spoken words. So to save me the hassle of people acting idiotic and making it harder I just tell them Im deaf. No point yelling, stretching your lips out, spitting on me, talking all weird and funny isnt going to help most times people make it WORSE.

Your daughter will adjust but I do recommend she still learn sign language even if she can hear or speak. I have to say I am SO GLAD I learned it as a child. I would be so lost right now if I did not know sign language.

I wish you and your daughter alot of luck. Be positive she is more able then you know ;)

Quoting cmaywill109:

My daughter has two implants. The first surgery just before she turned a year then the second at a year and half. (She will be two this Sunday)

And they are crazy expensive. We took her to the fair and we lost one for about 5 mins. Thankfully we found it, it is pink so it stands out. I almost started crying.

She was born severe to profoundly deaf because of cmv. A virus I caught while pregnant. It affected her nerve hairs.

And too bad you couldn't find a shirt that let's people know your deaf. Sometimes when my dd isn't feeling well, she doesn't want to wear her implants and people (even her pediatricians') talk to her and I would tell them she can't hear you she is deaf....then they want to know why and I end up giving a lecture about cmv and cochlear implants. I seriously thought about making brochures and just handing them out. But now I just don't say anything, I let them think she is shy. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cmaywill109
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM
When people learn she is deaf they are nice to her but some look at her with pity and I don't like that. Yes, she may have to work a little harder or do things a little different but don't look at her like that. She is perfectly capable. I'm actually going through this with my mom and MIL they think she shouldn't get punished when she does something wrong and that she doesn't understand. She understands what no is and what she's not supposed to be doing.

Why I don't tell people she's deaf when she doesn't have her aids has nothing to do with her. It's me, I hate repeating myself.

Quoting babyvader07:

mines profoundly deaf. i didn't ask for her to be deaf she likes heres and when she's sick she doesn't like to have her's on but people see it as... be nice to her she's deaf. my hubby says they see her as a novelty. yeh i see don't treat her any different.

Quoting cmaywill109:

My daughter has two implants. The first surgery just before she turned a year then the second at a year and half. (She will be two this Sunday)

And they are crazy expensive. We took her to the fair and we lost one for about 5 mins. Thankfully we found it, it is pink so it stands out. I almost started crying.

She was born severe to profoundly deaf because of cmv. A virus I caught while pregnant. It affected her nerve hairs.

And too bad you couldn't find a shirt that let's people know your deaf. Sometimes when my dd isn't feeling well, she doesn't want to wear her implants and people (even her pediatricians') talk to her and I would tell them she can't hear you she is deaf....then they want to know why and I end up giving a lecture about cmv and cochlear implants. I seriously thought about making brochures and just handing them out. But now I just don't say anything, I let them think she is shy.

Quoting babyvader07:

well we tweaked it took it slow gradually turned  up to 4 being highest...  but, she hears fine with them :) like before no difference.. 

Quoting thetrollcat::

oh that sucks it failed! How does it work now with the second ((replacement)?

Quoting babyvader07:

well she was put on Disability at the age of 3ish she had her first surgery 5/2011 and the left ear (which was a problem to start with) failed and she had it replaced in 7/2012. I know how much they cost and good lord the parts are expensive.. if it weren't for disability for her we wouldn't or couldn't afford them sadly.

Quoting thetrollcat:

People born with nerve loss (not damage but undeveloped) ear/nerves are very rare. It is also not hereditary thank pugs just a freak of accident at birh ya know... But those born with it are unfortunate as they didn't have a solution for them for many years until now, the cochlear ear plant, if you can afford it.

Quoting babyvader07:

the same with my Daughter at birth... Found out by her surgeon.. I'm Sorry I think it's wrong and kinda discusting.. the deaf have every right to use something but i think it's wrong to charge out the ass.. I feel horrable for people who live close.

Quoting thetrollcat:

blank stare. You ask as if I chose to be deaf meow.... I didnt choose it, I was just born this way.

BTW I have nerve development hearing loss. Most of my nerves were not fully developed at birth.

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Can I ask why you're deaf?

TTC2Long
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM
You can pay my way in and I'll interpret for you! :D

Quoting thetrollcat:

We are going to call tomorrow because I also want something that the staff can SEE I am deaf. You have no idea how frustrating it is for me to have to repeat myself ALL DAY LONG I am deaf.... I know it sounds whiny but I plan to be there for six days and this is going to be on going all day long.... Im already frustrated and feeling uneasy with stress and tense because of this.

I am also a bit aggitated because I also have to schedule my trip according to available interpreters they are only available once a week per park for most.... So now I have to attend these theme parks according to when their interpreters are there and sadly they are limited to only a few programs.

I understand it is a very big business so much going on and they cant possibly provide everything for everyone at all times especially interpreters because they are only allowed to sign for so long and they have to rotate with another person so really they have to hire two or more.... Im sure that can be expensive and hard to find someone to interpret regularly.

But charging for devices to caption is crazy....

Quoting Anonymous:

You can call them about the device for you, You can more than likely get them to waive the actual fees for both yet still put up a deposit that would be fully refundable if they were both returned in the same condition. alot of times they will go above & beyond to accomidate. Talking to them directly may be best

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM

To the Park only? Sure but meals and hotels? You are on your own... although I could use an interpreter for meal time....

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting thetrollcat:

We are going to call tomorrow because I also want something that the staff can SEE I am deaf. You have no idea how frustrating it is for me to have to repeat myself ALL DAY LONG I am deaf.... I know it sounds whiny but I plan to be there for six days and this is going to be on going all day long.... Im already frustrated and feeling uneasy with stress and tense because of this.

I am also a bit aggitated because I also have to schedule my trip according to available interpreters they are only available once a week per park for most.... So now I have to attend these theme parks according to when their interpreters are there and sadly they are limited to only a few programs.

I understand it is a very big business so much going on and they cant possibly provide everything for everyone at all times especially interpreters because they are only allowed to sign for so long and they have to rotate with another person so really they have to hire two or more.... Im sure that can be expensive and hard to find someone to interpret regularly.

Quoting Anonymous:

You can call them about the device for you, You can more than likely get them to waive the actual fees for both yet still put up a deposit that would be fully refundable if they were both returned in the same condition. alot of times they will go above & beyond to accomidate. Talking to them directly may be best

I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

*marking the 599968yth post/reply being mean, evil, horrible, which makes me worse than anonymous*

TTC2Long
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I just reread your post - you're going to DisneyWORLD, right? Not anaheim? I live about a half hour from DisneyLAND, in Anaheim, so I could come interpret for a day or something, depending on when you're going. But not in Florida. lol

Quoting thetrollcat:

To the Park only? Sure but meals and hotels? You are on your own... although I could use an interpreter for meal time....

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting Anonymous:

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

oh damn that would have been helpful too....

Keep your eye open incase I say Im going again, then I can hook ya up.

Quoting TTC2Long:

I just reread your post - you're going to DisneyWORLD, right? Not anaheim? I live about a half hour from DisneyLAND, in Anaheim, so I could come interpret for a day or something, depending on when you're going. But not in Florida. lol

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Quoting Anonymous:

mommybecky
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM
I read this yesterday and should have responded then. Forgive me, I did not read through all the replies.

WDW is very accommodating to people and families with disabilities. If you, or a member of your party, is in a wheelchair or motorized scooter, your entire family gets to go to the head if the line for everything....rides and shows.

Their staff will go out if their way to make you feel as special as possible. There is no other organization that will provide the same type of services that Wdw does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 49 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM

WOW OP!! I didn't know this about Disney!! :(  SO SAD!! I would definately find out if what they are doing is legal!!! I know if Walt were still alive, he would be so ashamed of the scamming ways of Disney CEO's/Exec's!!! TOTALLY INSANE!!! Sorry ppl are being nasty to you on here. I guess a bunch of women on here are PMS'ing or something!!

sammygrl77
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM
The captioning device fees are refundable. You can't really expect them to hand all that expensive equipment over to anyone for free? A deposit ensures people return them. As far as renting a mobility device, of course. Considering the cost and maintenance of those items, I don't think there is much profit built in. You can bring your own.
t1gger143
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM
My sister is deaf and we didn't have to pay for anything. Some places charge a deposit and you get it back.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)