Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not all fat people eat a lot

I'm just tallying up what I ate today and it totals about 1100 calories. I honestly have problems meeting my calorie goals because I don't eat a lot.

Do you assume those who are obese eat constantly or mass amounts of food?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Replies (211-220):
SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

No a regular blood draw doesn't interfere with bfing. However my doctor said there is another said she could do that is a more thorough thyroid test, but that I couldn't bf for 24 hrs before that test because of something she'd have to give me. During my research for thyroid disease I've found many complaints of doctors only doing the normal blood draw test and having false negatives. Even my doctor admitted there are a lot of false negatives with it. 

Quoting skmehlebam:

Again, its just a blood draw. Drawing blood doesn't affect breast feeding. I gave my TSH, T3 and T4 tested every 4 weeks since I became pregnant 1 year ago and continue to do so while I'm breast feeding to be sure my levels don't affect my milk supply.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

http://www.womentowomen.com/hypothyroidism/testing.aspx

Quote:

In publishing new clinical guidelines in 2002, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists fairly dramatically formalized a reversal of its previous doctrine, establishing a narrower “normal” TSH margin of 0.3–3.04. At Women to Women, we have used the TSH thyroid test for many years as a screener. And in our view, a woman’s TSH level should ideally be less than 2.0, but she should also be thriving and free from hypothyroidism symptoms. If she reports symptoms, or shows a TSH level greater than 2.0, she may have subclinical or clinical hypothyroidism.

For women with more pronounced hypothyroidism symptoms, we feel that the TSH test is inadequate because it doesn’t tell us enough about the underlying problem. To do that, we need more detailed tests to show what the thyroid is producing and what is available for the body to use

Quoting skmehlebam:

A simple blood draw will tell you if you're hypo or hyperthyroid. I'm breast feeding and have my levels drawn every 4 weeks. What do you mean?

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Did you have a problem with them doing the right testing?

Quoting wkukid:

It took over a year after they figured out what was wrong to finally stabilize me, it's a long process but when it was stable I was able to lose 130 pounds in about 2 years.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

I've suspected I have a thyroid problem too. I went to the doctor to be tested but all she did was a simple blood test because I'm breastfeeding and she didn't want to do the full panel or whatever it's called. I hear the regular blood test often gives false negatives.

Quoting wkukid:

I ate like I was on a diet constantly and gained 70 pounds. I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism.

sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Before I got pregnant I was already overweight. I am 5'7" and I use to weigh 198lbs wore size 14 jeans so yeah I was fat anyways I wouldn't eat much. Now that I am 6months pregnant, I weigh 195lbs. I just had a Dr appointment today so this is my actual weight. I do have a big pregnant belly but I lost weight because I really don't eat much. My problem isn't junk food or even over eating high calories. My problem is I don't exercise normally so ofcourse I wont lose weight unless I do something about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
greenhazel96
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Quoting keisha613:

That's why a lot of fat people are fat. They eat too little and their metabolism slows down, making them hold on to extra pounds.

Yea your probably not eating enough. Its scientificlly proven that you can slow your metabolism and gain weight from eating too little calories. Been their done that. Thats why diets like extra low calories diets only work for a little while and then you usually stop loosing weight, or start gaining weight again. Look up a calorie calculator and enter your height, weight ect. And it will tell you how much you need daily and theb0n s6btract the amount thats good for loosing wright if you plan on dropping pounds. But you need to eat healthy calories and excersize. I can do the calculations for you if you want.
skmehlebam
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Do you know what the name of the test is? Id like to ask my endocrinologist! Thanks!

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

No a regular blood draw doesn't interfere with bfing. However my doctor said there is another said she could do that is a more thorough thyroid test, but that I couldn't bf for 24 hrs before that test because of something she'd have to give me. During my research for thyroid disease I've found many complaints of doctors only doing the normal blood draw test and having false negatives. Even my doctor admitted there are a lot of false negatives with it. 

Quoting skmehlebam:

Again, its just a blood draw. Drawing blood doesn't affect breast feeding. I gave my TSH, T3 and T4 tested every 4 weeks since I became pregnant 1 year ago and continue to do so while I'm breast feeding to be sure my levels don't affect my milk supply.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

http://www.womentowomen.com/hypothyroidism/testing.aspx

Quote:

In publishing new clinical guidelines in 2002, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists fairly dramatically formalized a reversal of its previous doctrine, establishing a narrower “normal” TSH margin of 0.3–3.04. At Women to Women, we have used the TSH thyroid test for many years as a screener. And in our view, a woman’s TSH level should ideally be less than 2.0, but she should also be thriving and free from hypothyroidism symptoms. If she reports symptoms, or shows a TSH level greater than 2.0, she may have subclinical or clinical hypothyroidism.

For women with more pronounced hypothyroidism symptoms, we feel that the TSH test is inadequate because it doesn’t tell us enough about the underlying problem. To do that, we need more detailed tests to show what the thyroid is producing and what is available for the body to use

Quoting skmehlebam:

A simple blood draw will tell you if you're hypo or hyperthyroid. I'm breast feeding and have my levels drawn every 4 weeks. What do you mean?

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

Did you have a problem with them doing the right testing?

Quoting wkukid:

It took over a year after they figured out what was wrong to finally stabilize me, it's a long process but when it was stable I was able to lose 130 pounds in about 2 years.

Quoting SalemWitchChild:

I've suspected I have a thyroid problem too. I went to the doctor to be tested but all she did was a simple blood test because I'm breastfeeding and she didn't want to do the full panel or whatever it's called. I hear the regular blood test often gives false negatives.

Quoting wkukid:

I ate like I was on a diet constantly and gained 70 pounds. I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM

If I was attempting to lose weight...I'm not though, we're just poor.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're doing it COMPLETELY wrong!

Quoting Anonymous:

I eat one meal a day, less than 600 calories. I go 4 to 8 days a month without eating at all. I'm still a fat ass. Some people metabolize differently.

keisha613
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Thanks but no thanks. I'm on a plan, well lifestyle, that's working great. I was just providing insight why fat people who eat little tend to remain fat. My profile pic is old. I'm at least 30lbs down from that and that was last summer.

Quoting greenhazel96:

Quoting keisha613:

That's why a lot of fat people are fat. They eat too little and their metabolism slows down, making them hold on to extra pounds.

Yea your probably not eating enough. Its scientificlly proven that you can slow your metabolism and gain weight from eating too little calories. Been their done that. Thats why diets like extra low calories diets only work for a little while and then you usually stop loosing weight, or start gaining weight again. Look up a calorie calculator and enter your height, weight ect. And it will tell you how much you need daily and theb0n s6btract the amount thats good for loosing wright if you plan on dropping pounds. But you need to eat healthy calories and excersize. I can do the calculations for you if you want.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
greenhazel96
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Quoting keisha613:

o lol no this was for the person who wrote the post.
angevil53
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I assume they don't work out for sure but they probably have a problem with overeating during certain meals.

I'm overweight myself. Since I've been working out i haven't gained anything and I'm pregnant so it's working for me just to do that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sthflachk
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:19 PM
My sympathies..but...why say anything about metabolism? Doesn't apply in your case. If you could eat properly I'm sure your metabolism would increase.

Now...have you gone to food banks and whatnot?

Quoting Anonymous:

If I was attempting to lose weight...I'm not though, we're just poor.

Quoting Anonymous:

You're doing it COMPLETELY wrong!

Quoting Anonymous:

I eat one meal a day, less than 600 calories. I go 4 to 8 days a month without eating at all. I'm still a fat ass. Some people metabolize differently.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Hypothyroidism will only account for 15-20 pounds of weight gain.  Fat people have been using the thyroid excuse for years.  But it's not true, nothing but FOOD and CRAPPY FOOD will make you 300 pounds, sorry.  Put up the cupcakes & the fried foods. 

Quoting ididntdoit111:

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't care what kind of excuses you make, you eat a lot and so do all obese people.  And you eat crap.  That's why it's called FAT.  It's that yellow, gooey, yucky substance between your muscle & skin.   And the only thing that puts it there is crap.  So don't try to act like you eat 1100 calories & can't figure out why you're fat. 

Not true,
Millions of people in the U.S. have thyroid diseases. Most of them are women. If you have a thyroid disease, your body uses energy more slowly or quickly than it should. A thyroid gland that is not active enough, called hypothyroidism, is far more common. It can make you gain weight, feel fatigued and have difficulty dealing with cold temperatures. If your thyroid is too active, it makes more thyroid hormones than your body needs. NOT ALL PEOPLE ARE FAT BECAUSE THEY EAT TOO MUCH. like I said in another reply here, I eat very little and I walk 2 miles a day. But I drink pop. Too much. So I gain weight. My goals this year? Joining a gym, cutting out the pop and eating mainly healthy foods. But with my thyroid disease, it will be hard. My doc has promised to help. Don't be so judgey.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)