Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you have a gun in your house...

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • 89 Replies

*Let me first say that this MIGHT have been talked about a thousand times before but I've never seen it so I'm asking*

Ok so last night while laying in bed I thought I heard a noise outside. Turns out it was nothing but it got me thinking. So for those of you who have guns in your house...do you keep them loaded and readily accessable if someone were to break in to your house in the middle of the night? Or are they loaded and put up somewhere you'd have to get to? Or are they unloaded with the bullets kept next to the gun or the bullets stored somewhere else? 

I don't like the idea of people having loaded guns so readily accessable that their children might find them. The flip side, though, is that if someone breaks in you're not ready. What do you do, say to the robber "Time out! I have to grab my bullets, load my gun and then we can proceed!". 

Another quick note-This post isn't meant to cause any drama, I just want simple opinions. I know, however, that it might spark heated debates just as many other posts do. Let's just try to be civil lol.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Loaded and accessible.

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Until my kids get older my gun is on a high shelf in my closet. The loaded clip is right next to it. All I would have to do is put the clip in and go. Obviously as they get bigger/older i will have to change some things but right now it's safe enough.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM

We have a gun. It's locked up and never loaded. I couldn't just pull it out and shoot, but hearing someone trying to break in and my dog would buy me time to get it ready.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Its loaded and accessible to me but not my daughter!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Loaded mag ready to load and go
jadsmummy
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM
I refuse to allow a firearm in our home unless it's a police officer's. However my father has them and keeps them loaded.
shortcakes13
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM
It is empty but has the magazine loaded next to it...
momma2mms
by Kristin on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM

There is one loaded gun hidden on my closet shelf. The rest are in our safe.

Dee0886
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Unfortunately many people are so weary of fireamrs they don't introduce them to their children because they are afraid the kids will want to play with them. That is so far from the truth. My 3 and 5 yera old are VERY educated about guns and would NEVER touch one. HOWEVER, I am still aware they are 3 and 5, so my 9mm is not loaded but the mag is right next to it in my night stand. I also have a sohtgun leaning up against my wall inside my closet behind the door. The shells are too high and hidden away so the kids can't get to them.

I never understood having guns locked away at the top of a closet or something. What's the point of that? Asking the robber to please hold on a second bc you need to get it real quick? lol. There are also trigger locks on both guns. Impossible for the kids to get off but easy for me to quickly remove.

BAMFSFW
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

We both have a finger print safe mounted to our nightstand with our loaded gun in it. All our other guns are in locked cases, unloaded. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN