Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Eczema :(

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 100 Replies

My poor son is having the worst eczema flair up that he's ever had and Idk what to do. :( I need some natural treatments/things I can do to at least make him more comfortable.  He's going in for an allergy/sensitivity test on Monday, but the results won't come back for 6-8 weeks.  I have tried cutting out dairy in the past without seeing any difference.  I usually do coconut oil with tea tree oil in it but that's just not cutting it this time.  He bathes with african black soap or w/e it's called, and only 2-3 times a week (it's worse if he bathes daily).

Eta: I won't do a steroid treatment, shot, cream or otherwise.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mich.el.le
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

BUMP!

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Most of my family has battled eczema and psoriasis and both can be painful and embarrassing at times.  Some things you can do are:

Milk soaks.  Soak a cloth in cold milk and apply to the area for about 5-10 minutes or until it's no longer cold.  Repeat.  This helps a lot with inflammation and itching as a way to neutralize it. 

Calendula cream can be applied throughout the day to the itchy areas.

Aloe vera absorbs quickly and is healing.

Oatmeal baths are soothing and moisturizing.  A good soak in a bath followed immediately by an application of a rich cream or moisturizer can help.

Stick to cotton fabrics.

Watch your detergent.  Opt for milder detergents or one specifically for sensitive skin.

BlessedMammaof2
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Epsom salt baths
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

We use aquaphor for our flare ups, it works OK to soothe. 

BabyFruit Ticker
mich.el.le

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Most of my family has battled eczema and psoriasis and both can be painful and embarrassing at times.  Some things you can do are:

Milk soaks.  Soak a cloth in cold milk and apply to the area for about 5-10 minutes or until it's no longer cold.  Repeat.  This helps a lot with inflammation and itching as a way to neutralize it. 

Calendula cream can be applied throughout the day to the itchy areas.

Aloe vera absorbs quickly and is healing.

Oatmeal baths are soothing and moisturizing.  A good soak in a bath followed immediately by an application of a rich cream or moisturizer can help.

Stick to cotton fabrics.

Watch your detergent.  Opt for milder detergents or one specifically for sensitive skin.

Since I'm afraid part of his problem *might* be a dairy intolerance, I don't think a milk soak would be a good idea?

I forgot to add in my op, we use the gentlest detergent I've found and no fabric softener. I'm going to try an oatmeal bath. :(

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

momma-flynn
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Poor kid.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le

Quoting BlessedMammaof2:

Epsom salt baths

Wouldn't that dry out his skin even more?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I would suggest the steriod shot... that's what i had to get one year when i got it very badly. Or at the least get a prescription strength cream... rub it on twice a day every day up to 10 days after the eczema disappears! A dermatoloigist is the best dr to see too. 

mich.el.le
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I would suggest the steriod shot... that's what i had to get one year when i got it very badly. Or at the least get a prescription strength cream... rub it on twice a day every day up to 10 days after the eczema disappears! A dermatoloigist is the best dr to see too. 

We don't do steroid treatments.

Sj218
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Have you tried vari cream products?  It's what my derm recomended for me and I've had pretty good luck.  It doesn't make it go away, but I find the lite lotion to be soothing and it doesn't cause any irritation.  I also use the sunblock and bar soap.  I get it at Walgreens so it's pretty easy to find and not super expensive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)