Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can you be better than your parents?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
Lets say if you come from a family where both of your parents were drug addicts, never truly cared about you and you had a horrible childhood... Could you rise above it and be a better parent
Or are you destined to be just like them?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CuriousArentYa
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Yes, my husband did. Which is why he has a hard time feeling sorry for any kind of sob stories. I have only heard of a few stories that beat out my husbands. 

jillbailey26
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Yes, you can.  You just make different choices.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Homeschoolmom99
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I AM BETTER THEN MY MOM! Heck I raised my siblings while she ran after the latest cock-dope-feind of the week asshole!

Yes you can it is a matter of not wanting to be like them and making life better for yourself.

Look at it this way Jack Nicolson and Ted Bundy both raised by grandparents found out later their big sister was really bio mom one became a killer and one became an actor! Depends on how you look at life!

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM

You can, and have an obligation to yourself to rise above that.  You can only use them as an excuse as a child.  After you are an adult, you are responsible for your poor choices.

crazymammy25
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

How a chid is raised is down to YOUR choices not the choices made by others when you were a child.

If you truly don't want to be like your parents than you won't be :-)

alf2651
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, of course you can.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Of course. My parents wern't druggies, just shitty parents. And I am a great Mom!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Yes, I did.....I grew up in an abusive home with a mentally ill father and a drug addict mother.  I do everything the opposite of what they did and I've married a wonderful man, and I'm raising a wonderful little boy who will be a big brother soon.  I have no sympathy for people who repeat the abuse cycle....it's a choice and everyone can choose to change and do differently.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Yes, of course you can be better. You just have to want to be better than that. I have several people in my life who have come from horrid situations. My best friend's mother was a crack head for the majority of her younger years, then she managed to get clean but hurt her back and became addicted to pain killers and smoked weed all the time. Her father was physically abusive to her and her brothers and even nearly killed the brother who is just older than her and left him with permanent brain damage. He was also a raging alcoholic to the day he died. My best friend put herself through school and is raising her daughter alone because the father was on drugs and she wouldn't let that be around her daughter. She is now a teacher, bought her own home, and is one of the most self-reliant people I know.

alyceabella
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I came from a house hold with a drug addicted mother and an absent alcoholic father. I have most definitely risen above that and i believe i am a much better parent. i am by no means perfect but my children come first and have all they need and most of what they want. i feel like my childhood made me a stronger, better person, i refuse to use it as a crutch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN