Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to cook tofu???

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

I bought my first packet of extra-firm tofu to cook in some dishes this weekend, but I've never cooked it before!

Can anyone help me out?

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
winkyloafer
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Pan-fry it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Vegweb has good recipes that are vegetarian. I tried one called general or something and it was good
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsRi
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:44 PM

You can cook it soooooooo many different ways, it absorbes flavours amazingly.

You can pan fry it (no oil needed) in a dry spice rub, you can boil it in a stock and serve with noodles or other things, you can use an awesome tempera batter and fry it, you can crumble it and cook it like eggs, you can saute it with veggies.  Anyway you can cook most meats, you can cook tofu.  I love it on the grill ^__^

Bitterroot
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Quoting MrsRi:

You can cook it soooooooo many different ways, it absorbes flavours amazingly.

You can pan fry it (no oil needed) in a dry spice rub, you can boil it in a stock and serve with noodles or other things, you can use an awesome tempera batter and fry it, you can crumble it and cook it like eggs, you can saute it with veggies.  Anyway you can cook most meats, you can cook tofu.  I love it on the grill ^__^

Could I saute chunks of it with my veggies, and then place in a Vegetarian Mexican Enchilada Casserole?

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Marinate it and pan fry or do a stir fry with a nice sauce. Tofu itself doesn't have that much taste, but it's like a sponge that absorbs the flavors you add to it.
Schleetle
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I like to dice mine up in veggie pad Thai.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsRi
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Quoting Bitterroot:

Could I saute chunks of it with my veggies, and then place in a Mexican Enchilada Casserole?

Yeah, I like to freeze my tofu first (that's just MY preference, it makes it easier to work with because it's more 'flaky' and easier to use in place of meat).  But if you don't you can chop it up or just put it in a bag and 'crumble' it and use it.  Just remember it absorbs EVERYTHING, so be careful with over seasoning, it's also good to either semi cook them first, then let drain and then throw back in with veggies or make sure that they are very well drained, if you want more 'crisp' veggies.  They hold a lot of water and can make soggy veggies.  Or you could always just throw them in towards the end.  There's a great vegan blog that tells you amazing tips... I'm at work, if I get back on at home I'll post the link.  

Bitterroot
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Quoting momto2boys973:

Marinate it and pan fry or do a stir fry with a nice sauce. Tofu itself doesn't have that much taste, but it's like a sponge that absorbs the flavors you add to it.

Could it marinate in a sweet & sour sauce, and get put into a stir fry?

Bitterroot
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Quoting MrsRi:

Quoting Bitterroot:

Could I saute chunks of it with my veggies, and then place in a Mexican Enchilada Casserole?

Yeah, I like to freeze my tofu first (that's just MY preference, it makes it easier to work with because it's more 'flaky' and easier to use in place of meat).  But if you don't you can chop it up or just put it in a bag and 'crumble' it and use it.  Just remember it absorbs EVERYTHING, so be careful with over seasoning, it's also good to either semi cook them first, then let drain and then throw back in with veggies or make sure that they are very well drained, if you want more 'crisp' veggies.  They hold a lot of water and can make soggy veggies.  Or you could always just throw them in towards the end.  There's a great vegan blog that tells you amazing tips... I'm at work, if I get back on at home I'll post the link.  

Great tips!  Thanks.

I'll check back via my mobile this weekend for your link.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Just dont... real meat is yummy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured