Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I get welfare and im not ashamed

Posted by   + Show Post

I get cash assistance which i will be using to get my baby stuff for her first day of preschool, i get food stamps, and starting monday i will be getting childcare. Why? Because when i was enrolled in college my first semester my classes were all over the place. Some were in the morning afternoon and night. I tried looking for a job and i couldn't find one. So after months of looking and no results i decided in march of 2012 i would apply for food stamps. A few months later i applied for tanf. Do i like being on it no i don't but i gotta do what i gotta do until her dad is served with child support papers. I'll admit from june until november i did nothing i wasn't in school i wasn't actively looking for a job because i was tired and needed my rest. This year is going to be totally different. Since all of my classes are in the afternoon i can work somewhere in the morning. Judge all you want i don't care one bit.

I don't know why some of you sound pissed and bitter about me taking a 6 month break ecspecially you stay at home moms you don't work you dh does so be quiet lol. I never said i was proud i never said i was entitled i said i wasn't ashamed because of it. BIG DIFFERENCE!!

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM
It's there to help you. It's because people are looked down upon and forced to be ashamed about receiving help that many families end up on the streets or starving instead of using the resources that are there for them!

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

I guess I don't understand that attitude. I'm almost done with welfare (done with cash, on food for 5 more months and low-cost medical for another year for the kids), and I was always ashamed to be on it. I was ashamed that I needed the help. I don't understand how anyone would NOT be ashamed of being unable to support themselves. 

winkyloafer
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM
At least this isn't about your kid's name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Good luck to you mama! IMO we shouldnt be ashamed unless we are abusing or with holding info. People that lie to get it is those who should be ashamed.
kaykaymomi10
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM

im not going to school for free i already owe sally mae $5,000 for just 2 semesters and im not even done yet

Quoting Anonymous:

I wish I could have gone to school for free and get paid.

queencreekmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Good job getting your degree! You will be glad you did! :) that's what the help is there for, don't let anyone make you feel ashamed!

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM

And Im not saying its wrong to ask for it. But I dont get being proud of it.

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

if i need help im not ashamed to ask for it i mean thats what its for.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

I guess I don't understand that attitude. I'm almost done with welfare (done with cash, on food for 5 more months and low-cost medical for another year for the kids), and I was always ashamed to be on it. I was ashamed that I needed the help. I don't understand how anyone would NOT be ashamed of being unable to support themselves. 

For delicious allergy-friendly recipes, follow my blog, Cooking With Food Allergies! 

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Its great that its there, and people who need it SHOULD use it. I just don't quite understand being proud of using it. I've always been ashamed of needing it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It's there to help you. It's because people are looked down upon and forced to be ashamed about receiving help that many families end up on the streets or starving instead of using the resources that are there for them!

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

For delicious allergy-friendly recipes, follow my blog, Cooking With Food Allergies! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Uh.. where does she say she is going to school for free? Assume much?

Quoting Anonymous:

I wish I could have gone to school for free and get paid.

kaykaymomi10
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM

lol i got tired of making that post i dont really like her name anyways

Quoting winkyloafer:

At least this isn't about your kid's name.

DixieL
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I think if you need help, there is never to be ashamed of and it sounds like you do need help. I wouldn't be ashamed if I were you either. I hope things get better for you. I hope you and your family have a very happy 2013.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)