Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I get welfare and im not ashamed

Posted by   + Show Post

I get cash assistance which i will be using to get my baby stuff for her first day of preschool, i get food stamps, and starting monday i will be getting childcare. Why? Because when i was enrolled in college my first semester my classes were all over the place. Some were in the morning afternoon and night. I tried looking for a job and i couldn't find one. So after months of looking and no results i decided in march of 2012 i would apply for food stamps. A few months later i applied for tanf. Do i like being on it no i don't but i gotta do what i gotta do until her dad is served with child support papers. I'll admit from june until november i did nothing i wasn't in school i wasn't actively looking for a job because i was tired and needed my rest. This year is going to be totally different. Since all of my classes are in the afternoon i can work somewhere in the morning. Judge all you want i don't care one bit.

I don't know why some of you sound pissed and bitter about me taking a 6 month break ecspecially you stay at home moms you don't work you dh does so be quiet lol. I never said i was proud i never said i was entitled i said i wasn't ashamed because of it. BIG DIFFERENCE!!

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM

There is NO shame in getting assistance, but it is shameful if you haven't exhausted all possibilities to avoid it.If you have and you still need it - go for it, that's what it's for!

Jessica_Esqueda
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM

People should be encouraged to seek help if they need it. The biggest issue I have is the 6 months of laziness because OP was tired and needed a break. We're all tired. Take a month. But six?? It just reads as entitled, and I don't understand that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand the proud feeling either but I really don't understand the need to be ashamed about it. It's there to help people.

IMO if you *general you, not you personally* show that you are ashamed of getting help and your children see how shameful it supposedly is to get help, then it would prevent them from getting help when/if they truly need it.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Its great that its there, and people who need it SHOULD use it. I just don't quite understand being proud of using it. I've always been ashamed of needing it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It's there to help you. It's because people are looked down upon and forced to be ashamed about receiving help that many families end up on the streets or starving instead of using the resources that are there for them!

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

I guess I don't understand that attitude. I'm almost done with welfare (done with cash, on food for 5 more months and low-cost medical for another year for the kids), and I was always ashamed to be on it. I was ashamed that I needed the help. I don't understand how anyone would NOT be ashamed of being unable to support themselves. 

For delicious allergy-friendly recipes, follow my blog, Cooking With Food Allergies! 

Lezly-Anne
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM
I am on assistance with two young children at home and this is because my husbands work its temporary seasonal work and isn't enough to support all four of us on it do we need that extra help and we live in a city where its very difficult to get a job. Seriously considering relocating soon!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM
We used FS for a few months. I wasn't ashamed. Dh got laid off while we were in the middle of escrow and we had spent our savings buying our house. We needed it. Shit happens and sometimes you can't do anything about it. He found a job after a few months tho. I disagree with laying around because you are "tired" and "need rest" for 6 months.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Quoting winkyloafer:

At least this isn't about your kid's name.

huh lol?

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM

you gotta get a clearance first, I'll help you with the paperwork. It's a barrel of fun.  Part of my being tired is strictly the company's fault, the assholes keep mandating OT.  

Quoting winkyloafer:

I'll take your job if you don't mind babysitting. I'm anxious to go back to work now!

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

thanks, winky.  I would KILL for six months to rest!

Quoting winkyloafer:

Let me check my coin purse, girlfriend.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

I'm tired, I would like a rest. Anyone care to support me with money and food from June through November?

TattoodMommy19
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Now that's a little unfair.

I work 2 jobs, dh works full time even though he is disabled.

We were still having a really hard time. We qualify and I see no shame in getting help.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

I guess I don't understand that attitude. I'm almost done with welfare (done with cash, on food for 5 more months and low-cost medical for another year for the kids), and I was always ashamed to be on it. I was ashamed that I needed the help. I don't understand how anyone would NOT be ashamed of being unable to support themselves. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Glad you got your schooling straight =) do what yoi gotta do to better you and your little girls life. That is the whole point of PA! Good luck on job hunting!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM
I'm tired too - I'm 40 years old - and my family has NEVER been on any assistance - EVER.

What makes you better than me? Oh I know - I have pride and self worth and you don't.

Thanks for your post - I feel better about my life decisions.
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Thats the only part that I disagree with too. I mean really? So tired you have to sit on your ass for 6 months?

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

People should be encouraged to seek help if they need it. The biggest issue I have is the 6 months of laziness because OP was tired and needed a break. We're all tired. Take a month. But six?? It just reads as entitled, and I don't understand that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand the proud feeling either but I really don't understand the need to be ashamed about it. It's there to help people.

IMO if you *general you, not you personally* show that you are ashamed of getting help and your children see how shameful it supposedly is to get help, then it would prevent them from getting help when/if they truly need it.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Its great that its there, and people who need it SHOULD use it. I just don't quite understand being proud of using it. I've always been ashamed of needing it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It's there to help you. It's because people are looked down upon and forced to be ashamed about receiving help that many families end up on the streets or starving instead of using the resources that are there for them!

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)