Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I get welfare and im not ashamed

Posted by   + Show Post

I get cash assistance which i will be using to get my baby stuff for her first day of preschool, i get food stamps, and starting monday i will be getting childcare. Why? Because when i was enrolled in college my first semester my classes were all over the place. Some were in the morning afternoon and night. I tried looking for a job and i couldn't find one. So after months of looking and no results i decided in march of 2012 i would apply for food stamps. A few months later i applied for tanf. Do i like being on it no i don't but i gotta do what i gotta do until her dad is served with child support papers. I'll admit from june until november i did nothing i wasn't in school i wasn't actively looking for a job because i was tired and needed my rest. This year is going to be totally different. Since all of my classes are in the afternoon i can work somewhere in the morning. Judge all you want i don't care one bit.

I don't know why some of you sound pissed and bitter about me taking a 6 month break ecspecially you stay at home moms you don't work you dh does so be quiet lol. I never said i was proud i never said i was entitled i said i wasn't ashamed because of it. BIG DIFFERENCE!!

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Replies (61-70):
winkyloafer
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM
It's just one, she's only seven weeks old. She's pretty well-behaved!

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

anywhere from five to fifteen. Five is fine, fifteen makes me want to drown myself in the ocean. How old are these children and how many, I only have one and if you're adding three or more I would probably be better off working lol....less stress in the long run.

Quoting winkyloafer:

How much overtime? That's just more peek-a-boo time for you.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

you gotta get a clearance first, I'll help you with the paperwork. It's a barrel of fun.  Part of my being tired is strictly the company's fault, the assholes keep mandating OT.  

Quoting winkyloafer:

I'll take your job if you don't mind babysitting. I'm anxious to go back to work now!

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

thanks, winky.  I would KILL for six months to rest!

Quoting winkyloafer:

Let me check my coin purse, girlfriend.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

I'm tired, I would like a rest. Anyone care to support me with money and food from June through November?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM

You needed a 6 month break? Really? Okie dokie.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Why weren't you working from June until November? Most people are tired.
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Yup same here. It's there to help, not for you to sit on your "tired" ass.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Exactly. That's the part that took me from "Get help if you need it" to "quit being an entitled ass".

Quoting nocalmegan:

Thats the only part that I disagree with too. I mean really? So tired you have to sit on your ass for 6 months?

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

People should be encouraged to seek help if they need it. The biggest issue I have is the 6 months of laziness because OP was tired and needed a break. We're all tired. Take a month. But six?? It just reads as entitled, and I don't understand that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand the proud feeling either but I really don't understand the need to be ashamed about it. It's there to help people.

IMO if you *general you, not you personally* show that you are ashamed of getting help and your children see how shameful it supposedly is to get help, then it would prevent them from getting help when/if they truly need it.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Its great that its there, and people who need it SHOULD use it. I just don't quite understand being proud of using it. I've always been ashamed of needing it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It's there to help you. It's because people are looked down upon and forced to be ashamed about receiving help that many families end up on the streets or starving instead of using the resources that are there for them!

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

I guess I don't understand that attitude. I'm almost done with welfare (done with cash, on food for 5 more months and low-cost medical for another year for the kids), and I was always ashamed to be on it. I was ashamed that I needed the help. I don't understand how anyone would NOT be ashamed of being unable to support themselves. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM

oh I'm all over that--I just had to pack up and send my itty bitty girl clothes to my friend and it made another baby sound like a real fun idea so this would be perfect!

Quoting winkyloafer:

It's just one, she's only seven weeks old. She's pretty well-behaved!

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

anywhere from five to fifteen. Five is fine, fifteen makes me want to drown myself in the ocean. How old are these children and how many, I only have one and if you're adding three or more I would probably be better off working lol....less stress in the long run.

Quoting winkyloafer:

How much overtime? That's just more peek-a-boo time for you.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

you gotta get a clearance first, I'll help you with the paperwork. It's a barrel of fun.  Part of my being tired is strictly the company's fault, the assholes keep mandating OT.  

Quoting winkyloafer:

I'll take your job if you don't mind babysitting. I'm anxious to go back to work now!

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

thanks, winky.  I would KILL for six months to rest!

Quoting winkyloafer:

Let me check my coin purse, girlfriend.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

I'm tired, I would like a rest. Anyone care to support me with money and food from June through November?

NiCo86
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:49 PM

You chose not to work or go to school that semester. If you are truly as bad off financially as you are, I am sure you qualified for grants and your college probably offers income based grants and scholarships. If you are on public assistance and you weren't going to school, I do not feel as if you had the right to "take some time off to rest" ... the rest of us who are actually working don't get that luxury!

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

i didn't go to school fall semester because i couldn't afford it other wise i would have been there.

Quoting NiCo86:

I fully expected this to be an anonymous. My biggest complaints are 1) if you can't afford to go to college w/o being on assistance, and you have a child to care for, personally I find providing for my child a higher priority than my education and 2) you chose to not work or go to school because you felt as if you deserved rest, and you got this rest at the expense of tax payers.

Other than that ... IDK good for you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM
I am all for people using it as intended. But using welfare for 6 mths just to be a lazy mooch is not it's intended use. Actually, more than 6 mths bc you don't even work NOW.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM
do what you gotta do. nobodys place to judge you.
TattoodMommy19
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM
6 months is ridiculous

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Needing help is fine. I've needed help. I'm coming off of welfare. I just don't understand being PROUD of it. There's no shame in asking for help when you're working and struggling. OP isn't working and said she took 6 months of no work OR school. That's not bettering yourself, IMO. 

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

Now that's a little unfair.

I work 2 jobs, dh works full time even though he is disabled.

We were still having a really hard time. We qualify and I see no shame in getting help.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

I guess I don't understand that attitude. I'm almost done with welfare (done with cash, on food for 5 more months and low-cost medical for another year for the kids), and I was always ashamed to be on it. I was ashamed that I needed the help. I don't understand how anyone would NOT be ashamed of being unable to support themselves. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessica_Esqueda
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Right!!! I'd love for someone to pay for my vacay.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Yup same here. It's there to help, not for you to sit on your "tired" ass.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Exactly. That's the part that took me from "Get help if you need it" to "quit being an entitled ass".

Quoting nocalmegan:

Thats the only part that I disagree with too. I mean really? So tired you have to sit on your ass for 6 months?

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

People should be encouraged to seek help if they need it. The biggest issue I have is the 6 months of laziness because OP was tired and needed a break. We're all tired. Take a month. But six?? It just reads as entitled, and I don't understand that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand the proud feeling either but I really don't understand the need to be ashamed about it. It's there to help people.

IMO if you *general you, not you personally* show that you are ashamed of getting help and your children see how shameful it supposedly is to get help, then it would prevent them from getting help when/if they truly need it.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Its great that its there, and people who need it SHOULD use it. I just don't quite understand being proud of using it. I've always been ashamed of needing it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It's there to help you. It's because people are looked down upon and forced to be ashamed about receiving help that many families end up on the streets or starving instead of using the resources that are there for them!

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

For delicious allergy-friendly recipes, follow my blog, Cooking With Food Allergies! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN