Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I get welfare and im not ashamed

Posted by   + Show Post

I get cash assistance which i will be using to get my baby stuff for her first day of preschool, i get food stamps, and starting monday i will be getting childcare. Why? Because when i was enrolled in college my first semester my classes were all over the place. Some were in the morning afternoon and night. I tried looking for a job and i couldn't find one. So after months of looking and no results i decided in march of 2012 i would apply for food stamps. A few months later i applied for tanf. Do i like being on it no i don't but i gotta do what i gotta do until her dad is served with child support papers. I'll admit from june until november i did nothing i wasn't in school i wasn't actively looking for a job because i was tired and needed my rest. This year is going to be totally different. Since all of my classes are in the afternoon i can work somewhere in the morning. Judge all you want i don't care one bit.

I don't know why some of you sound pissed and bitter about me taking a 6 month break ecspecially you stay at home moms you don't work you dh does so be quiet lol. I never said i was proud i never said i was entitled i said i wasn't ashamed because of it. BIG DIFFERENCE!!

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Replies (91-100):
unspecified42
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM
"Because I was tired and needed my rest." Lmao. So YOU'RE the one!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessica_Esqueda
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Yeah, I have two toddlers. I only pee in peace wen theyre sleeping.

Quoting nocalmegan:

I users to get those all the fine before kids lol! Now with a toddler and one due next week I don't get those anymore. I'm lucky if I get a 6 minute bathroom break lol.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Ive never even had a 6 HOUR vacation! 

Quoting nocalmegan:

I can't even remember the last time I had a 6 DAY vacation lol.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Good lord me too! Can you imagine?? Must be nice. 

Quoting nocalmegan:

Me too! ESP a 6 month long one. I could really use that!!

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Right!!! I'd love for someone to pay for my vacay.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Yup same here. It's there to help, not for you to sit on your "tired" ass.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Exactly. That's the part that took me from "Get help if you need it" to "quit being an entitled ass".

Quoting nocalmegan:

Thats the only part that I disagree with too. I mean really? So tired you have to sit on your ass for 6 months?

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

People should be encouraged to seek help if they need it. The biggest issue I have is the 6 months of laziness because OP was tired and needed a break. We're all tired. Take a month. But six?? It just reads as entitled, and I don't understand that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't understand the proud feeling either but I really don't understand the need to be ashamed about it. It's there to help people.

IMO if you *general you, not you personally* show that you are ashamed of getting help and your children see how shameful it supposedly is to get help, then it would prevent them from getting help when/if they truly need it.

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

Its great that its there, and people who need it SHOULD use it. I just don't quite understand being proud of using it. I've always been ashamed of needing it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It's there to help you. It's because people are looked down upon and forced to be ashamed about receiving help that many families end up on the streets or starving instead of using the resources that are there for them!

Quoting Jessica_Esqueda:

I guess I don't understand that attitude. I'm almost done with welfare (done with cash, on food for 5 more months and low-cost medical for another year for the kids), and I was always ashamed to be on it. I was ashamed that I needed the help. I don't understand how anyone would NOT be ashamed of being unable to support themselves. 

For delicious allergy-friendly recipes, follow my blog, Cooking With Food Allergies! 

bcauseimthemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM

If you are not ashamed, why are you anon?

kaykaymomi10
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM

i am still considered a dependent do your research honey

Quoting NiCo86:

babies having babies ... smh

regardless ... once you start having children you are not considered a dependent ... you shouldn't need your mothers tax information for your FAFSA, only your own.

Still doesn't excuse you from working to support your child. There are online courses that you can take, there are even accredited universities that are strictly online where you could work and do your schooling around your work schedule. Instead, you CHOSE to not work and CHOSE to not go to school at the same time.

THAT is not what welfare is intended for, it's intended for people who are actively trying to get back on their feet.

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

i was told i could do this but they would still need her tax information and im 19 btw

Quoting NiCo86:

I'm sorry ... how old are you?

And you know ... you can fill out estimated tax information on the FAFSA.

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

ok lets try this again my mama didn't file her taxes until september classes started in august i couldn't afford to go that semester

Quoting NiCo86:

You chose not to work or go to school that semester. If you are truly as bad off financially as you are, I am sure you qualified for grants and your college probably offers income based grants and scholarships. If you are on public assistance and you weren't going to school, I do not feel as if you had the right to "take some time off to rest" ... the rest of us who are actually working don't get that luxury!

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

i didn't go to school fall semester because i couldn't afford it other wise i would have been there.

Quoting NiCo86:

I fully expected this to be an anonymous. My biggest complaints are 1) if you can't afford to go to college w/o being on assistance, and you have a child to care for, personally I find providing for my child a higher priority than my education and 2) you chose to not work or go to school because you felt as if you deserved rest, and you got this rest at the expense of tax payers.

Other than that ... IDK good for you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Stay at home mothers work just as hard as someone that goes out to work. I know, I'm a grandma now, and I've raised my own children. We also started raising four of our grandchildren aswell. Yes, I'm thirty years older than when I was raising my kids. It's the same work regardless of your age, but when you're older, it becomes a little more difficult. Our daughter and her brothers, somehow got the idea that "mum" didn't work at all. Excuse me, LOL, mothers work harder in a lot of cases. If you split our daily chores into catergories, that got paid for, We'd probably earn a good wage, of at least $100 000 00 a year. We're jack of all trades so to speak. If you want it printed out, we're everything from our childrens nurse, to our husband/boyfriends slave. So I know how you are feeling when you say you're not ashamed of welfare etc. I worked my butt off as a stay at home mother to my own children, then took on my grandchildren, and I don't mean while their parents worked, I mean we were the caregivers of the children right from their birth. Yes, we did not babysit them, they lived with us. Our daughter moved out when her second child was only three months old. The other two children, who were born after she moved out, were in our care also.

NiCo86
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I did my research, honey, when I was going to college and working full-time (not on PA) when I was only 22 ... after I had my baby, I was no longer a dependant, and didn't need my mother's tax information.

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

i am still considered a dependent do your research honey

Quoting NiCo86:

babies having babies ... smh

regardless ... once you start having children you are not considered a dependent ... you shouldn't need your mothers tax information for your FAFSA, only your own.

Still doesn't excuse you from working to support your child. There are online courses that you can take, there are even accredited universities that are strictly online where you could work and do your schooling around your work schedule. Instead, you CHOSE to not work and CHOSE to not go to school at the same time.

THAT is not what welfare is intended for, it's intended for people who are actively trying to get back on their feet.

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

i was told i could do this but they would still need her tax information and im 19 btw

Quoting NiCo86:

I'm sorry ... how old are you?

And you know ... you can fill out estimated tax information on the FAFSA.

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

ok lets try this again my mama didn't file her taxes until september classes started in august i couldn't afford to go that semester

Quoting NiCo86:

You chose not to work or go to school that semester. If you are truly as bad off financially as you are, I am sure you qualified for grants and your college probably offers income based grants and scholarships. If you are on public assistance and you weren't going to school, I do not feel as if you had the right to "take some time off to rest" ... the rest of us who are actually working don't get that luxury!

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

i didn't go to school fall semester because i couldn't afford it other wise i would have been there.

Quoting NiCo86:

I fully expected this to be an anonymous. My biggest complaints are 1) if you can't afford to go to college w/o being on assistance, and you have a child to care for, personally I find providing for my child a higher priority than my education and 2) you chose to not work or go to school because you felt as if you deserved rest, and you got this rest at the expense of tax payers.

Other than that ... IDK good for you?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM
bleh. that blows. :(

Quoting kaykaymomi10:

at the time i had to sign up for classes that wouldn't overlap and most of the good class hours were taken. i didn't have a car so i couldn't work during the day and my aunt was such a bitch to me she wouldn't watch my daughter if i worked nights. so i was pretty much fucked. and to make this semester even better my car decides to mess up so hopefully i won't get a call about a job interview before my car gets fixed.

Quoting Anonymous:

so who signed you up for such an erratic Schedule?

because I work and go to school full time. I had a choice on the times I could go to what classes when I signed up for them.

like I take all morning classes so I can work in the evenings.

that's just my first thought when I read the post.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Smart girl.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

it happens... life throws you obsticals an all you can do is work threw them

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM

surprised

Quoting bcauseimthemom:

If you are not ashamed, why are you anon?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)