Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

FML! I can NOT afford this right now!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

so I am on my way to drop of a package at the post office and I hear POP THUNK THUNK THUNK. in my head I am thinking $#@!@#$$#@@@#$$%$%%$##@@!# (enter your chosen expletives here)

so I pull over into the nearest gas station (luckily this is also my place of emplyment) big fat freaking FLAT tire.

UGH.

so I open my trunk and try to get my spare out,

oh did I mention its 14 degrees out? oh well yeah its 14 degrees out while I am doing this.

I have no gloves and I am in tears. after 10 minutes of fighting I go inside to see if ANY of the guys that work there are in tonight. thats a big fat NO.

CRAP.

I am seriously about to have a melt down at this point.

then, thank you God a regular customer sees me and asks if its my car with the flat.

why yes, yes it is thanks for asking.

he offers to help me. he gets the spare out after 20 minutes of yanking, tugging, pulling, and finally pouring hot water over it.

then he goes to get the lug nuts off.... and nothing. he was practically jumping on the thing trying to get them off and no such luck. he has to leave and I call EVERYONE in my phone book...including three ex's (one was ds' dad... the others are.... well thats a story for another post) and no one answers their phones.

now I am in tears... sobbing actually. I call my BFF and she and her hubby show up. he does the one thing I didn't think of... he puts Fix-A-Flat in it. it holds and I go to discount tire, thinking it was just the one tire, I would get a 30 dollar used one and get them all replaced when taxes come back.

I get there, I am still crying (no longer sobbing but still pretty upset) and they take a look at it, oh hey GUESS WHAT! all but 1 tire are bald $#@$%# they can not change one with out changing all the legally bald tires.

CRAP!

oh hey guess what I'm crying again, I can't afford 3 new tires and they only have one used tire even close to what I need.

did I mention that I already got there 5 minutes after they closed and they were going to help me anyway? yeah I did and yeah they were awesomely nice about it too. so then on top of all of that they put the 3 tires on, only charged me for 2 and gave me a credit for one of the tires because it had been bought at discount tire sometime in the past 4 years (I bought the car in October) 

then the guy putting the tires on? yeah he was a friend of mines hubby. he took off the instilation charge knocking the price down even more. 

I love these guys and will SO be going there forever and ever and ever and ever lol

thats my bad day story for the night guys. tare me apart you know you want to.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
LilBabyVulcan
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

"I get there, I am still crying (no longer sobbing but still pretty upset) and they take a look at it, oh hey GUESS WHAT! all but 1 tire are bald $#@$%# they can not change one with out changing all the legally bald tires."

Someone's trying to swindle you, because that's about as true as me claiming to be the Queen of England. I asked SO, he's an automotive technician, and unless those tires were falling apart, or there was a severe safety hazard making your car unsafe to be on the road, they are supposed to just change the ONE tire you ask them to change, and nothing more. They are not 'legally' required to do shit about the bald ones unless you want a state inspection done. At least that's what he told me when I just asked him...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Or they could be frozen on. That's happened to me numerous times and I've been changing out tires since I was 14.

Quoting banana-bear:

Maybe you missed the part where she said a man couldn't even get the lug nuts off. Depending on who installed the tires last, they may require a power tool for removal and not your simple tire iron.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do yourself a favor and learn how to change a flat tire. It's simple, and things like this is he reason why men take advantage of women.

Geez, it's 2013

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I honestly don't know. I think it may be a company policy.

Quoting dark_xiii_angel:

That was nice of them!! I would have been crying too! Is it a state law that they have to replace all bald tires?
In SC we bought our tires one at a time because at that time we were so broke! They never mentioned having to do them all.

angevil53
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Oh gotcha. I almost cried yesterday at Walgreens bc they kept giving me hell for tamiflu. Those fuckers. I was so sick it hurt to move! Had to fucking stand there for half an hour to find out they can't sell it to me bc they don't have a price bc they're system isn't working.

Quoting Anonymous:

lol because I am PMSIng and an emotional mess lol 

Quoting angevil53:

Why did that make you cry?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
banana-bear
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM
My second guess as well. Especially since it sounds frigid where she lives.

Quoting Anonymous:

Or they could be frozen on. That's happened to me numerous times and I've been changing out tires since I was 14.

Quoting banana-bear:

Maybe you missed the part where she said a man couldn't even get the lug nuts off. Depending on who installed the tires last, they may require a power tool for removal and not your simple tire iron.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do yourself a favor and learn how to change a flat tire. It's simple, and things like this is he reason why men take advantage of women.

Geez, it's 2013

locaporbebe
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Crappy start but it sounds like you had someone looking out for you today. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM

does no tread on one and seeing cords on the other count? these tires weren't as safe as I thought they were. it was my friends hubby looking at them, I trust him to not try to screw me over. 

Quoting LilBabyVulcan:

"I get there, I am still crying (no longer sobbing but still pretty upset) and they take a look at it, oh hey GUESS WHAT! all but 1 tire are bald $#@$%# they can not change one with out changing all the legally bald tires."

Someone's trying to swindle you, because that's about as true as me claiming to be the Queen of England. I asked SO, he's an automotive technician, and unless those tires were falling apart, or there was a severe safety hazard making your car unsafe to be on the road, they are supposed to just change the ONE tire you ask them to change, and nothing more. They are not 'legally' required to do shit about the bald ones unless you want a state inspection done. At least that's what he told me when I just asked him...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Depends on the state. Here they can not legally replace just 1 tire.

Quoting LilBabyVulcan:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Do yourself a favor and read the post in its entirety before responding.

OP: Glad it all worked out for you!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Geez, it's 2013

Megan11587
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Ugh that sucks. Sorry momma. Hope tomorrow is better
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)