Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How old do kids need to be to go to the Art Museum?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

We can get in free the first weekend of the month, every month.  I thought we could try it out.  The only cost is gas to get there and Parking.

My kids are 4(5 in march) and 6 1/2.  They ARE a hand full.  And  know there will be pouting and melt downs, but I think exposing them to the Fine Arts in thie fashion might help broaden their senses.

I was also thinking we could go every other month to make progress in their behavoir.

We've been memebers of the science center and zoo's in the past and always loved going.

Philadelphia Museum of Art:

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM

bmp

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM
2 moms liked this

They should be old enough to understand that the Art Museum is not a place to run around, yell, or bother people at. If they can't do that, they should not be taken to the art museum. You could call and see- some have a night once a month set aside just for kids, where it's expected that they will be louder, and not bothering others.

Expecting the art museum to improve their behavior, though, is like expecting antibiotics to cure the common cold. The two have no corrolation to one another. Behavior issues come from how they are raised, and what is done to discipline their behavior.

If I paid to spend an enjoyable evening at the art museum, and had someone's snotty 4 and 6 year old's running around, screaming, pouting, and melting down, I'd be pissed, and would let the staff know.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Wow..You seem like quite a snob yourself!

Quoting Anonymous:

They should be old enough to understand that the Art Museum is not a place to run around, yell, or bother people at. If they can't do that, they should not be taken to the art museum. You could call and see- some have a night once a month set aside just for kids, where it's expected that they will be louder, and not bothering others.

Expecting the art museum to improve their behavior, though, is like expecting antibiotics to cure the common cold. The two have no corrolation to one another. Behavior issues come from how they are raised, and what is done to discipline their behavior.

If I paid to spend an enjoyable evening at the art museum, and had someone's snotty 4 and 6 year old's running around, screaming, pouting, and melting down, I'd be pissed, and would let the staff know.

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I would call and ask if they have activities for kids. My local one does free art class every Tuesday and Thursday. Arts and crafts for kids along with a huge playroom.

It's pretty much the bees knees.

pce68
by Patti on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Do they have a children's area. Many art museums have an area with children's activities.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM

i agree with a pp, they should be old enough to be quiet and walk -- not run.  i learned the hard way when my oldest child was about 6-7.  it was a disaster.  we left after just a few minutes.  BUT  there was a picasso exhibit on loan so at least i got to see that.

vanellope
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

+1
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I don't let them get out of control.  They will be takin outside if they throw a fit.  

Exposing them to routine does help their behavoir.  The first time your child walked alone did he not just wander aimlessly?  Don't they know to follow by your side now in a parking lot?

This is behavoir is what I'm expecting.  For them to be curious about everything and want to go from picture to sculpture without really giving it a good long look.  I'm hoping that bringing them there often they will learn something.  Perhaps start to remember names of pieces they like.  All of their "Family" days/programs seem to focus on Sundays, but we have plans for this Sunday.

Quoting Anonymous:

Fordprefect
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I've been taking my kids to museums since they were born. Art, history, science, whatever I can find. They were each no older than 6 months their first time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Not under four years of age, that's for sure. I made the mistake of taking my SD when she was four. She held out like a trooper until we got to the Durers and then began twirling in circles to make her skirt fly up while singing loudly, "This is boring...boring...booooooooorrrrring!" and bouncing off the displays (why, oh why did they decide that a priceless colonial vase needed to stand freely beside a painting. Seeing it wobble took years off of my life) until her father tossed her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes and carried her to the car. I could still her her two hallways down stubbornly singing upside down on his shoulder, "This is boring...boring...boooooorrrrring".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)