Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Locking children in the bedroom

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 200 Replies
1 mom liked this

My daughter's friend has a lock on the OUTSIDE of her bedroom door. She tells my daughter that there are guest who come over and she and the guests children get locked in the room.  I kinda feel like that is a major safety issue and seems a little abusive.

Doesn't that seem strange to have a lock on the outside of the bedroom door? 

Would you lock your child in thier bedroom from the outside of the door?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

That is weird and seems like a HUGE hazard. My kid would be going no where that has a lock on the outside of a bedroom and if I found out after the fact, shit would hit the fan.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes that is strange and horrible!

My dd has autism and I've thought of putting a lock on for safety but not for "just because I can" reasons!
ms.ames
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I know someone who locked their kids in their room put a plank on the crib so the baby couldn't climb out so they could sleep until 4-5 pm

beerebelly
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Yep I know someone who locks her girls in their room for about 4 hours each day, then till 10am each morning so mom can sleep late.. We have spoken to her NUMEROUS times about it but she says they need their naps. Ugh.

MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

No I wouldn't....unless the child was a toddler and was prone to wander at night.  Then I'd probably put one of those door knob doo hickeys to keep the child  from opening the door.  I've never had to lock my children in their rooms.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:19 PM
2 moms liked this

When DS1 was three he would escape the house.  It was terrifying and I literally could not sleep at all.  I'd find him in the yard at 3am, never hearing a thing.  Or when I'd put him down for a nap and go in the laundry room, I'd walk out and find him eating stuff in the kitchen.  He was able to get past baby/toddler proofing, and even opened complicated locks with no problems.

I put the lock on the outside of his door, and hung a baby monitor out of reach on his wall.  It was all I could think of for a quick fix.  I know local CPS would have a problem with it, saying it was a fire hazard.  But I thought, if he can't open the door b/c of "baby proofing" how is it ANY different if he can't open it b/c of a lock?  Either way, HE IS 3, he can't get himself out of a fire, that is my job.  And his room was right next to mine, with a backup escape route through his window.

Long-term, I bought these alarms that go on the top of the door.  When you turn them on, if the door is opened it makes a VERY loud beeping noise.

Now, just locking him in the room so I could party, no.  I might tell him to go play, or tell him he can't go in X rooms while the company is over, but he can play and watch TV.  He only got LOCKED when he needed to sleep and I coudn't stand vigil at his door.  And once the alarms got here, I took the lock off.  The noise was MORE than enough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I bet the adults are doing something they don't want the kids to witness.  That makes it even worse.

I locked my DS in his room when he was little at bedtime because he wouldn't stay in his room.  I admit it was a parenting fail.

PEEK05
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Hell no

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I have had to lock escape artist in their rooms, but only because I didn't want to wind up on the news for having a midnight wanderer.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM

wtf? I'd never stay at a house like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured