Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Time for the friendly winter reminder..

Posted by   + Show Post

No puffy coats or snow suits in the carseats! This is why! Fleece, carseat ponchos, coats on backwards, or blankets!  

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Infant-thrown-from-car-seat-in-violent-Raymond-collision-is-recovering.html

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Replies (121-124):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Nowhere in that article does it say the snowsuit was at fault,  there is no proof the mom had the baby strapped into the actual car seat right,  when it gets horribly cold here my kids will be wearing their coats!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM

0 is cold if you go stand outside in 0 weather then you will get frostbite and such,  it doesn't matter where you live it is cold at 0!

Quoting miss_lisa:

I don't think 0 is cold, when it's well below 0 is when it starts to get cold. Where I live... that holds to be true and I clearly stated where I lived in my first post.

Quoting jessi2girls:

common sense tells us that o degrees IS cold and BELOW freezing..

(btw.. warming up a car isn't actually always better for the car.. just fyi)..

Not saying I disagree about using other methods to keep your children warm (when we get into the car we reverse the jackets.. so they wear them backwards over the 5pt harnesses, not under).. 

but.. just saying....if you want to argue common sense...... ... .. ... you both fail. 

Quoting miss_lisa:

Surprising how when someone has common sense it means they've become an expert because so few people seem to understand the obvious.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow, a carsear expert and mechanic...CM never seems to amaze me.

Quoting miss_lisa:

First, stop acting like 0 is cold. It's not.

Second, none of my friends kids have to remove their coats in 0 degree weather (or colder) EVER. It's this concept of warming up your car. Heaven forbid taking care of your child properly costs a little extra money. Wouldn't want you to make sure they're as safe as they can be for the extra $0.90 it will cost you in gas to warm up your car. Once your child is IN the vehicle you remove the coat, buckle them in, then place the sleeves back on them. This is also a fantastic idea because if you're going to be in your vehicle for more than a few minutes kids often get hot. Oh wait, that requires you to be a responsible adult who warms up their car before driving it (which is also beneficial for the VEHICLE as well, driving a car cold isn't always the best idea from a mechanical standpoint).

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, good for them. My kids will not be taking their coats off in 0 degree weather, EVER.

Quoting miss_lisa:

I live in North Dalota and my friends manage to get their kids safely into their car seats while keeping them warm.

Quoting Anonymous:

whatever! I have been doing it for 13 years and have somehow managed to keep my kids alive. They will not sit in the car and freeze AND I will not let my vehicle run, that as is expensive! If you think that letting your child freeze their ass off is good for you so be it but I will not be removing their coats.

sweetmissy_05
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM

We don't ever put the kids in their carseats with their bulky jackets.  Thanks for the reminder :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM

expensive plus illegal in many areas to leave a running vehicle unattended. plus they need the coat on going between car and any store or anything. I'll keep my kids in their coats too.

Quoting Anonymous:

whatever! I have been doing it for 13 years and have somehow managed to keep my kids alive. They will not sit in the car and freeze AND I will not let my vehicle run, that as is expensive! If you think that letting your child freeze their ass off is good for you so be it but I will not be removing their coats.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)