Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Time for the friendly winter reminder..

Posted by   + Show Post

No puffy coats or snow suits in the carseats! This is why! Fleece, carseat ponchos, coats on backwards, or blankets!  

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Infant-thrown-from-car-seat-in-violent-Raymond-collision-is-recovering.html

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Oh :( Sorry about that. I hope he recovers quickly and stronger every day!

Quoting Ninjabubble:

He just had heart surgery and they want him to recover fully before being exposed to a bunch of crap. He also has a shot immune system. So if he does get sick we will be back in the hospital. Him not being out in public is only temporary. Once he turns one we can be out more. Just have to be careful around other children.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why can't you take him out in public??

Quoting Ninjabubble:

We just put him in a long sleeved sleeper with feet, a hat and a blanket lightly wrapped around him. Can't take him out in public except for doctor visits. So he doesn't get exposed to the cold very often.

BluePandaDreams
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I loosen the straps when the coats are on and tighten the straps when the coats come off. After a round with rsv with the little one, no coat is going to come off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miss_lisa

First, stop acting like 0 is cold. It's not.

Second, none of my friends kids have to remove their coats in 0 degree weather (or colder) EVER. It's this concept of warming up your car. Heaven forbid taking care of your child properly costs a little extra money. Wouldn't want you to make sure they're as safe as they can be for the extra $0.90 it will cost you in gas to warm up your car. Once your child is IN the vehicle you remove the coat, buckle them in, then place the sleeves back on them. This is also a fantastic idea because if you're going to be in your vehicle for more than a few minutes kids often get hot. Oh wait, that requires you to be a responsible adult who warms up their car before driving it (which is also beneficial for the VEHICLE as well, driving a car cold isn't always the best idea from a mechanical standpoint).

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, good for them. My kids will not be taking their coats off in 0 degree weather, EVER.

Quoting miss_lisa:

I live in North Dalota and my friends manage to get their kids safely into their car seats while keeping them warm.

Quoting Anonymous:

whatever! I have been doing it for 13 years and have somehow managed to keep my kids alive. They will not sit in the car and freeze AND I will not let my vehicle run, that as is expensive! If you think that letting your child freeze their ass off is good for you so be it but I will not be removing their coats.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM

So tell me how exactly your children get to the car, get into their carseats without getting cold? Blankets are fine but at some point they have to come off too. Again, each one of my kids have always worn their coats in their carseats.

Quoting Anonymous:

We use thinner but warm fleece sweaters and blankets in the car.  Fleece is SUPER warm, and they have fun piling blankets up and up around themselves during the drives. 

And we DO take the coats, in case of car trouble.

Quoting Anonymous:

whatever! I have been doing it for 13 years and have somehow managed to keep my kids alive. They will not sit in the car and freeze AND I will not let my vehicle run, that as is expensive! If you think that letting your child freeze their ass off is good for you so be it but I will not be removing their coats.

IAMmomtotrips
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM
I'm not saying no jacket! Just get fleece! Or something not puffy that will compress! You never know what is gonna happen! I have one who could run around in -32 degrees in a t-shirt and it doesn't bother her at all...the other two are like me and freeze in anything below 60!

But they know...once in the car, jackets off and then buckle up and put their arms in and they have been doing that since two...if they are not wearing their ponchos...with their ponchos they just flip the back up and buckle in...if I can do it with triplets anyone else can!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
StrawberryCool
I dont care.

Im in PA, we get neg 20 degrees.

She will be in a wintet coat from December-Feb...

She is in a booster seat, and can now wear her coat under the seatbelt.

If you can afford to run your car then by all means start it.

But my daughter and futire children will be in coats.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this
IF EVERYONE followed these rules yes maybe they'd be okay but others do text, smoke, eat, change the radio station, run stop signs etc etc

Because of all the other people that don't pay attention on the road - I make sure mine are as safe as they can be in their carseats.

Quoting Anonymous:

Drive without speeding, texting, or talking on the cellphone and the kids should be ok! 

MorganTho
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this
You can't predict when someone else won't be paying attention and hit you though!

Quoting Anonymous:

Drive without speeding, texting, or talking on the cellphone and the kids should be ok! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ninjabubble
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM
He is mainly all healed up now! He finally started rolling onto his tummy again. Just have to watch him very closely!

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh :( Sorry about that. I hope he recovers quickly and stronger every day!

Quoting Ninjabubble:

He just had heart surgery and they want him to recover fully before being exposed to a bunch of crap. He also has a shot immune system. So if he does get sick we will be back in the hospital. Him not being out in public is only temporary. Once he turns one we can be out more. Just have to be careful around other children.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why can't you take him out in public??

Quoting Ninjabubble:

We just put him in a long sleeved sleeper with feet, a hat and a blanket lightly wrapped around him. Can't take him out in public except for doctor visits. So he doesn't get exposed to the cold very often.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Your right I do believe what I do just like you believe what you do. If I waste "a few bucks" in gas everytime I went somewhere all of that would add up. But that is ok because I don't see any logic in your argument either.

Quoting Anonymous:

One does not freeze in the two minutes it takes to buckle and cover back up.
I don't see any sound logic behind your argument. Safety in the car is the absolute most important thing, more important than being cold for a minute or the few bucks you "waste" warming your vehicle. BUT I know you believe what you do, so whatever.

Quoting Anonymous:

Coats are to be worn outside. So again I will not be taking their coats off of them for any reason in 0 degree weather.

Quoting Anonymous:

Mine put their coats on backwards after they have buckled. They don't freeze. It's not all that hard to do.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN