Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

PTSD isn't real *wow, post came back from the dead, updated*

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:37 AM
  • 247 Replies
3 moms liked this
My cousin has been married to this man for 20 years, they dated in high school as well.

They had a couple kids and he joined the army and they moved to Germany for a few years and from there he was sent to Iraq and Afghanistan several times.

They move back here and buy a home way out of their means and he becomes an army recruiter. When he can't keep up with the quota they ship him to Washington state but because they are in over their head with the house, even with the HA, she stays here with the kids and he moves up there where he is supposed to be discharged for medical reasons in the next couple years.

Because they are using the HA for the home here he can't live on base and was living in an apartment.

About a year after moving up there he bought a motorcycle and then couldn't pay the rent on the apartment and "had" to move in with some biker lady. Of course you can use your imagination to figure out where this is going....

So my cousin filed for divorce but she also suspects he is suffering from PTSD from his tours so she isn't ready to throw in the towel just yet, and I don't blame her.

Well my grandmother and I were discussing it and she says PTSD is a load of bullshit and when I disagreed she went on this tangent screaming that PTSD and depression arent real and it's just an excuse and in her day (she was born in 1932) people just picks themselves up and carried on, that you don't need meds and its all a load of shit.

I KNOW it's real. I know what depression feels like and some people do need help in the form of counseling and sometimes meds. Too bad she's too closed minded to realize not everyone can overcome things just by picking themselves up.

-------
I talked with my grandmother yesterday about my cousin and her husband. He came back down here because his mother was sick and my cousin thought he had changed because he acted like it. Instead he cleaned out all of their bank accounts, took her name off of them and cleaned out the escrow account. He now gives her a 500 allowance to pay bills with and she is working but it's not enough to support herself and 3 kids. He hasn't paid the HOA fees or the mortgage so it's just a matter of time before the home is gone.

She doesn't want to go to his CO because she doesn't want him to get kicked out of the military because then the kids will lose the benefits but she had filed for divorce.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:38 AM
39 moms liked this

Yeah in 1932 PTSD was called Shell Shock.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM
She still doesn't think it's real. My pawpaw, her husband, fought in ww2 and she still thinks its a load of bull.

Quoting purpleducky:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Wow

Quoting Roxygurl:

She still doesn't think it's real. My pawpaw, her husband, fought in ww2 and she still thinks its a load of bull.

Quoting purpleducky:

CrunchyBran
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM
5 moms liked this

I'll make sure to ask my husband if he's just lying and full of shit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM
2 moms liked this
I guess that's her opinion, and here's another stereotype old people are stubborn as heck. Lol My father had severe PTSD, but not from military service. It's very real, and very scary.
Ashley_Carlson
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM

BULLSHIT! PTSD is real! I have PTSD from severe bullying, and BF has it from a traumatic event when he was 9!

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM
I truly do suspect he has PTSD, or something. He totally changed when he got up there. This is not him at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess that's her opinion, and here's another stereotype old people are stubborn as heck. Lol My father had severe PTSD, but not from military service. It's very real, and very scary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTuree
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:45 AM
7 moms liked this

And people like her is why so many veterans commit suicide, especially during Vietnam era and before.

Some people can't understand something until they've been through it.

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes it is real. I have a severe case of it, diagnosed.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM
7 moms liked this

you have to excuse the older generation as they turned their backs on everything, including really bad things that happened.  They never spoke about it.  They still have that mindset. I recall my  MIL, who is pretty ignorant to begin with, telling me that the uncle who committed suicide never showed any signs of distress, etc.. I call that BULLSHIT.  It was ignored , end of story.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)