Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you teach your kids basic anatomy?

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 116 Replies

Dh is a medical man, and he's been studying medicine since he was 6. So when our dd started asking about her body, lets say, "where does food go when you eat it?" he expains in full detail the process of digestion, but says most of it in lamens terms. I've started doing this as well since I started studying to be a medical transcriptionist. It involves learning about the body as a whole, medications and such and having her ask me questions about the body, really helps me.

So my dd came up to me yesterday, and was asking about what bones where what. We have a skeleton hanging on a book shelf filled with anatomy books so she was using that as a reference. It really helps her understand and she knows a lot of digestion now also (she's 4)

Does anyone else do this? Kids are always asking questions "whats this?" "whats that" and most asked "why?" I'm trying my best to answer all of her questions but sometimes i have to say "um....go ask daddy" haha

I'm a pagan 23 year old mother of three who are 4, 2/12, and 1yr. 6 1/2 years strong with my Pagan/Duid highschool sweetheart and have been married for 2 years. All I want in life is for my family to be healthy happy and positive. Negativity is an infection and an unhealthy mind can become sick with negativity if infected. Blessed Be )O(
pagan 2

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM

LOL I have had to explain it in detail. We used google images for kids. It lead me to an awesome site that had detailed pictures. I think my kid will be a dr someday. he is very interested in anything to do with how the body works.

Photo: -Randi.

BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I think if you can do it, then right on!

My kids ask me questions, and I try to give them the most honest answer I can. It's best that way. Kids need to know how their bodies work.

BlessedBeX3
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Google is a great idea,  I was thinking youtube too, find anatomy vids for toddlers

Quoting brettsmomma:

LOL I have had to explain it in detail. We used google images for kids. It lead me to an awesome site that had detailed pictures. I think my kid will be a dr someday. he is very interested in anything to do with how the body works.

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Yup. I explain that stuff to my son. He was 3 when I started going to school to be a personal support worker and he's 5 now, but he can tell you with pretty good detail where food goes once you've eaten it and what happens to the food when it's in your belly.. He's been interested in the brain lately.. I let him have my texts books when I was done with them lol.. He is just obsessed with the human body!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BlessedBeX3
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

lol my dd is more interested in how it turns to poop haha she doesn't believe me! :P

Quoting MistyMoo:

Yup. I explain that stuff to my son. He was 3 when I started going to school to be a personal support worker and he's 5 now, but he can tell you with pretty good detail where food goes once you've eaten it and what happens to the food when it's in your belly.. He's been interested in the brain lately.. I let him have my texts books when I was done with them lol.. He is just obsessed with the human body!

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM
It's funny hearing a small chil say esophagus.. Anyways my son has like all of this committed to memory. He's autistic, so he tends to remember the things he obsesses over lol which is great... Until its something annoying!

Quoting BlessedBeX3:

lol my dd is more interested in how it turns to poop haha she doesn't believe me! :P

Quoting MistyMoo:

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Yes, there's an awesome anatomy app for kids on the iPhone/ iPad & we use it regularly. We also play around with the elements app, khan academy app, & astronomy App.
grouchymama
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

My kids are 2,4 and 5. Last spring they were very interested in the body. We took a few books out of the library. We studied the digestive system, circulatory system, skeletal system and reproductive system. I found coloring sheets online. My kids were really into the digestive system so they use the words esophagus, intestines, rectum and anus regularly. The magic school bus series has some great shows about the body. You can watch them on Youtube.

Last night my 4 yr old was upset because his brother went to Colorado as a baby and he didn't get to go. He ask if he was in my tummy and I told him not yet. My 5 yr old chimed in "Yes he was, he was in your overalls." He ment ovaries. LOL

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Depends on the kids. One kid wants details, one doesn't etc.  I never babyify it though.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Oh and we google when needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)