Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL says baby should be potty trained by the age of

Posted by   + Show Post

2. I show her websites that list the signs of when a baby is ready... I show her websites that say closer to the age of 3 is when they START to be potty trained. She just yells "THEY'RE WRONG. THEY'RE ALL WRONG. BABIES SHOULD BE POTTY TRAINED BY 2!"

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Replies (21-30):
MaileysMommy
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM

If the child is ready at 2, then ok. If not then waiting a little while until he/she is ready is good. Dd is 2 and she is potty trained, but she showed signs of being ready, if she hadn't we would have waited a little while. Every kid is different. 

Kermitthemom23
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Personally, I agree with her
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Good for her. What difference does it make what she thinks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brokenxxangel
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 5 and still not potty trained but she has Autism. Every child is different, 2 is awfully young.

piesmama09
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

MIL should be trained to mind her own business by now, too, but yet here we are :)

momofmany86
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Yeah, she won't go on either potty. We have a generic potty seat, and we have a Dora seat that goes on the big potty. She's not interested in either.

My twins trained just after 2, DD trained probably closer to 2 1/2. I'm sure she'll be ready soon.

Quoting Anonymous:

i potty trained both dd before age 2...biggest sign for me was when they would wake up and be dry. I put them on a little store bought potty bc they didn't l ike to go on the big ones...that helped alot. My son didn't show any of the signs till 2 1/2 and I potty trained him them.

Quoting momofmany86:

My DH would disagree with you.

He had me read the article above last night. Our DD will be 2 in March. She shows signs of being ready to train, but she doesn't want to sit on the toilet. DH thinks I need to do it.

My actions do not just affect my life, but also the lives of those that depend on me. Therefore, I choose to make good decisions, ones that will have a positive impact on the lives I've been given to raise up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Tell mil that she had her chance to raised her kids however she wanted now move over because isYOUR turn ! Ds1 is 3. , he WAS READY to use the potty at age 2ish so he was potty trained at 2ish. , then he started he started pre school and for some reason decided to poop back on his diapers . Every time he wanted to poop he'd ask for a diaper so now we are kinda back to square one . He is. 3 and i wint pressure him until he is ready althought i am looking for signs of readiness and ds2 is 15 m/o and ill potty train him when he is ready not when others think he should be ready . Your mil hasnt raised a baby in way too long so id keep that in mind when she comes in with dumb comments
KeimUNCmomof3
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Gosh, I've heard of kids being potty-trained at 1 to 6 years old.  Seriously, everyone is different.  You don't know if they have bladder issues etiher... when you're little it's hard to control bladder too.... so, I wouldn't worry about potty-training by 2, it can happen, but it is not necessary to rush, what for?  Is your child going to be in preschool that requires it?  If not, then don't worry.   The average is around 3 years old though.

TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Mine were potty trained a few mths after their 2nd birthday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM

She's a MIL.  Keep the perspective that it's usually best to not listen to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)