Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL says baby should be potty trained by the age of

Posted by   + Show Post

2. I show her websites that list the signs of when a baby is ready... I show her websites that say closer to the age of 3 is when they START to be potty trained. She just yells "THEY'RE WRONG. THEY'RE ALL WRONG. BABIES SHOULD BE POTTY TRAINED BY 2!"

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

mine says 9 months cause that's when hers were forced sit on a potty. she trained herself to put them on every hour. I'm convinced those babies didn't know what was going on and my husband had problems until he was a teenager. some old women go by the "I did it this way so everyone should" philosophy and refuse to listen to newer research. mine doesn't believe drs know what they're talking about.

just do what you're doing. it'll be hard to insist to her that you are going to raise your child the way you feel is best, but once she sees they're still alive and fairly normal she'll get over it. mine doesn't say anything to me anymore because I don't always use her advice. can't say I mind lol.

bc19
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

This is the point where I would just smile and say thank you for the input. No need to tell her that you are going to be doing it her way. She gets no say so therefor she shouldn't be involved with the potty training at all. My family quickly learned that I would smile to their faces, and then go do things the way I wanted lol.

mary841108
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I agree with your MIL. sorry. but both of my kids were in regular underwear by their 2nd birthdays. they weren't traumatized by it either. I was thankful that when i brought DD home from the hospital after having her that my 2 year old son was out of diapers and I didnt have 2 sets of diapers to change LOL! i think waiting til they are 'ready' is a cop out.

Buggy979
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Two of my girls were potty trained by 13 mths and the other was just about 2..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Many cultures have their children potty trained by 1
209mom4you
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Well tell her to take your baby for 2 weeks and bring them back trained if its so possible and all. I told my mom that when my oldest was younger and she didnt say anything about it again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sktrowb
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM
My dd didn't start going potty well until she was 3. We started introducing the potty around 16 months but left her take the lead with it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mary841108
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM

right? LOL my kids started pre-k at 3 because they were able to use a bathroom all by themselves. when a kid when walk and clearly talk and ask for what they want then i am sorry being in diapers still is laziness.

Quoting Diamepphyre:

All three of my kids were potty-trained by the time they were two.  I could not imagine having a three, four, five year old potentially still in diapers.  Ewww.  That article IS a bunch of BS.

Cleaning tips, baking recipes, dinner recipes, kids crafts, crafts for the bored mama and more at:

http://theimperfectstepfordwife.wordpress.com/

MammaKoi
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Wow screw her, each parent is differnt and so are the kids. 

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM
IMO 2 is for us.
That's the age for potty training in my family!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)