Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How to take 2 kids to the doctor? ETA

Posted by   + Show Post

Both my kids are sick, been sick for a while. They need to see a doctor. I have a 18mo and a 5mo old. The Urgent Care here has CURTAINS between rooms not WALLS. Their actual doctor is 2 hours away. I want to take them to urgent care, but how do I prevent a very active toddler from running room to room, throwing a fit, and not listening...and hold a 5mo old baby and probably breast feed her?

I called hubby to see if he can get off work for an hour or so to help, I feel really bad..

ETA:

Anyways, we just got back. My toddler is not interested in snacks and toys. He is interested in things he cannot have. He would not lay or sit in the bed. He had to run all over the place. When the dr looks at him, I have to hold him in my lap tightly, holding his arms down, while he thrashes and screams, bites, and tries to hit. I do discipline my child. The only way to calm down my 5mo old is to breastfeed her. If I put my 18mo old in a stroller, he will do everything and anything to be destructive. He will thrash himself, trying to knock the stroller offer, he will pull on anything he can reach. Toys and snacks do not interest him.

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (11-20):
lilfishbigocean
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Is your mother around? Any friends? A neighbor that could go with you? Use a stroller, or simply just put them in the same room - I'm sure the receptionist/nurses understand your situation.

proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Better than running around. Bring toys to occupy him.

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

Quoting proudmommy690:

Stroller.

He will scream and cry if restrained

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
So let him scream and yell.

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

Quoting ErikaRobin:

STROLLER.

He will scream and yell if he is restrained..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM
the urgent cares and ERs around us are child friendly, they always have stuff for the kids to do, and they have no problem helping out when your kid runs out and if hes screaming they tend to come help! just do it, you would be surprised how nice nurses can be!
IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Bring something to entertain him.....coloring book or something. 

la-cosa-nostra
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
How do you do anything else with 2 kids? You just do it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Xat
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Good luck!

I had to take 3 kids to the doctor the other day. Luckily my doctor's office has rooms with doors which helped until I had to take the oldest to have his blood work done and his x-rays done. Then I held my 2 year old the whole time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
3 moms liked this
Be a parent. Just because he's 2 doesn't mean he gets to run around like a little heathen or scream like one.

With that said, if he's able to do all that then there is no need for a uc visit and he can wait.
BEXi
by BEXi on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Bring a toy to entertain and distract the toddler.

Money Hungry Mommy Blog

allsolittle
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Just do it. Try doing it with 4 or 5, lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN