Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How to take 2 kids to the doctor? ETA

Posted by   + Show Post

Both my kids are sick, been sick for a while. They need to see a doctor. I have a 18mo and a 5mo old. The Urgent Care here has CURTAINS between rooms not WALLS. Their actual doctor is 2 hours away. I want to take them to urgent care, but how do I prevent a very active toddler from running room to room, throwing a fit, and not listening...and hold a 5mo old baby and probably breast feed her?

I called hubby to see if he can get off work for an hour or so to help, I feel really bad..

ETA:

Anyways, we just got back. My toddler is not interested in snacks and toys. He is interested in things he cannot have. He would not lay or sit in the bed. He had to run all over the place. When the dr looks at him, I have to hold him in my lap tightly, holding his arms down, while he thrashes and screams, bites, and tries to hit. I do discipline my child. The only way to calm down my 5mo old is to breastfeed her. If I put my 18mo old in a stroller, he will do everything and anything to be destructive. He will thrash himself, trying to knock the stroller offer, he will pull on anything he can reach. Toys and snacks do not interest him.

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (111-113):
Lovemyfamilyof8
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I am sorry that your ETA is what it is BUT.... that is a matter of you not parenting him, and teaching appropriate behavior in public. All kids hav their moments, but yours they way you describe him is out of control! You say he runs all over and is destructive , if you taught him appropriate public behavior with consequence if not followed he would not do that! If you taught him respect for others things, and boundaries, he would not destroy others items, and if he is biting and screaming and throwing tantrums for not getting his way, then you are failing to punish him for being that way! BITING will get him refused from pre school, and more than that. this is a matter of parenting and even though I know you will argue and fight this with me, I will not change my opinion. A child who acts like that is spoiled, has no discipline and is in control of the parent!

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

regarding ETA - every toddler is like that if given the chance. I see mothers all the time try the "but he's different you dont understand" excuse.

Fact is every toddler is terrible and wants what they want when they want it and will throw a fit if allowed to get it. 

But facts remain that the entire world over people have learned to mitigate a two year olds behavior because they are smarter than the two year old.

Donna.June
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I completely agree.

Quoting Lovemyfamilyof8:

It just amazes and disturbs me sometimes that people make something like this such an issue. As a parent, you have to control your kids, occupy them and be a parent! If the child is that impossible to control while sick, then he must be out of control when well! That is a matter of lack of discipline IMO. I am not trying to be mean, but the difficulty of the situation is more about behavior than amount of children.

Quoting Donna.June:

I agree. I have 4 under 5 years old. It's tough to get around by myself sometimes, but I do it. I also have a double stroller.

Quoting Lovemyfamilyof8:

Please tell me that this isn't serious. I am not trying to be mean, but I have brought 5 children to the ER with the curtains. I understand that your child is active, My 5 I have brought were all 6 and under. get a stroller, bring juice/water and snack, some toys, and be a parent and discipline them. I sympathize that it will not be a stroll in the park, but it really should not be something that you see as impossible IMO. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)