Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How to take 2 kids to the doctor? ETA

Posted by   + Show Post

Both my kids are sick, been sick for a while. They need to see a doctor. I have a 18mo and a 5mo old. The Urgent Care here has CURTAINS between rooms not WALLS. Their actual doctor is 2 hours away. I want to take them to urgent care, but how do I prevent a very active toddler from running room to room, throwing a fit, and not listening...and hold a 5mo old baby and probably breast feed her?

I called hubby to see if he can get off work for an hour or so to help, I feel really bad..

ETA:

Anyways, we just got back. My toddler is not interested in snacks and toys. He is interested in things he cannot have. He would not lay or sit in the bed. He had to run all over the place. When the dr looks at him, I have to hold him in my lap tightly, holding his arms down, while he thrashes and screams, bites, and tries to hit. I do discipline my child. The only way to calm down my 5mo old is to breastfeed her. If I put my 18mo old in a stroller, he will do everything and anything to be destructive. He will thrash himself, trying to knock the stroller offer, he will pull on anything he can reach. Toys and snacks do not interest him.

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (41-50):
mommybecky
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Then he isn't sick enough for urgent care.

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

Quoting proudmommy690:

Stroller.

He will scream and cry if restrained

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

No, it is not.  If you take your children places regularly, they learn how to behave in situations that require some kind of order. 

The occasional outburst is understandable, but we, as parents, learn to plan for those and act accordingly to get past them.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Running around ..crying and getting mad are what 18 month olds do. He's still a baby.

I feel bad for your kids having a bitch mom like you.

Kids will be kids.

Op, take lots of toys lots of books lots of snacks. If possible find someone to go with you. Don't listen to bur up the ass chick

Quoting Anonymous:

Be a parent. Just because he's 2 doesn't mean he gets to run around like a little heathen or scream like one.

With that said, if he's able to do all that then there is no need for a uc visit and he can wait.

Sometimes when I'm alone, I like to Google myself.

If you like my style, follow my blog.  I am Random Ninja - Writer of Wrongs.
Click it.  Share it.  (Tell 'em it's just a cold sore.)

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM

One word:  Stroller!  

Put the 5MO in a snuggli and wear her.  This way your hands are free to deal with the toddler.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Neither one of you has mentioned what you did to keep them well behaved? 2 year olds have different personalities just like anyone else, some are laid back and content to sit and color, others want to explore their surroundings.

Quoting Anonymous:

I tend to agree anon.

I've taken my kids to the drs w/me, to their drs, heck to get pedicures & it always amazed me how many complimented me on how my kids behaved.

I liked being thanked but it seemed weird to me bc I don't get why people don't control their kids.

My DD is extremely stubborn, has been since birth but some how she learned to behave while out.

OP just take them, pack a bag of toys & snacks.  Do people not do this anymore?  I always had toys w/me.  My SIL always commented on how I always had things for them while at dinner, now she does the same thing.  They are busy, it is our job to make sure they have things to do when out, and our  job to ensure good behavior when we are out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes be a parent. My kids never acted like terrors when we were out because I was a parent. I told them no. We don't act like that. I was their parent and I don't know enforced my expectations on to them. Sure they tried. Sure they got over stimulated and tired but I wasn't ever scared to take all my kids anywhere by myself, I never needed a buddy and I.never once used their ages as excuses for bad behavior.

Quoting ksueditz:

Be a parent? SMH

Anyhow, does he like to be read to? We always like to take a stack of books with us. And definitely snacks.

Quoting Anonymous:

Be a parent. Just because he's 2 doesn't mean he gets to run around like a little heathen or scream like one.

With that said, if he's able to do all that then there is no need for a uc visit and he can wait.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you kidding me? Do people not know how to parent?

First as many said....take things to entertain the child. Not just a few things, pack the diaper bag.  Take snacks, enough snacks in case you are somewhere for a long time.

Then discipline.  I didn't think this was a difficult concept.  There are tons of discipline techniques out there, read up on them if you don't know how to discipline a child or what you are doing isn't working.  What worked for me may not work for others.

My expectation started right away.  They didn't turn into toddlers & all of a sudden I expected them to be good.  From birth I always had things w/me for them to do, learning to keep them calm while out.  Time out started early as well, manners started early as well.

The behavior I wanted was clear from the start, no confusion on the child.

It is called consistency & clear boundaries.

IDK, what to tell you I just never ever allowed my kids to run around & scream & if they tried it when we were out it was not allowed & bc I was always consistent w/discipline I never had issues when out.  I was never afraid of my children controlling the situation.

Quoting Anonymous:

Neither one of you has mentioned what you did to keep them well behaved? 2 year olds have different personalities just like anyone else, some are laid back and content to sit and color, others want to explore their surroundings.

Quoting Anonymous:

I tend to agree anon.

I've taken my kids to the drs w/me, to their drs, heck to get pedicures & it always amazed me how many complimented me on how my kids behaved.

I liked being thanked but it seemed weird to me bc I don't get why people don't control their kids.

My DD is extremely stubborn, has been since birth but some how she learned to behave while out.

OP just take them, pack a bag of toys & snacks.  Do people not do this anymore?  I always had toys w/me.  My SIL always commented on how I always had things for them while at dinner, now she does the same thing.  They are busy, it is our job to make sure they have things to do when out, and our  job to ensure good behavior when we are out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes be a parent. My kids never acted like terrors when we were out because I was a parent. I told them no. We don't act like that. I was their parent and I don't know enforced my expectations on to them. Sure they tried. Sure they got over stimulated and tired but I wasn't ever scared to take all my kids anywhere by myself, I never needed a buddy and I.never once used their ages as excuses for bad behavior.

Quoting ksueditz:

Be a parent? SMH

Anyhow, does he like to be read to? We always like to take a stack of books with us. And definitely snacks.

Quoting Anonymous:

Kmary
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Stroller, snacks, a drink, a book, toys....anything.  Yeah, one or both may get fussy, but everyone else there will have to deal.  It's a doctor's office, not a library.  And sick kids get upset.  Probably won't be fun, but it'll be fine.

epoh
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
This, verbatim. I mean, all kids have their moments, but I've never had an issue w bringing my kids out with me. I expect good behavior and generally, that is what I get.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you kidding me? Do people not know how to parent?

First as many said....take things to entertain the child. Not just a few things, pack the diaper bag.  Take snacks, enough snacks in case you are somewhere for a long time.

Then discipline.  I didn't think this was a difficult concept.  There are tons of discipline techniques out there, read up on them if you don't know how to discipline a child or what you are doing isn't working.  What worked for me may not work for others.

My expectation started right away.  They didn't turn into toddlers & all of a sudden I expected them to be good.  From birth I always had things w/me for them to do, learning to keep them calm while out.  Time out started early as well, manners started early as well.

The behavior I wanted was clear from the start, no confusion on the child.

It is called consistency & clear boundaries.

IDK, what to tell you I just never ever allowed my kids to run around & scream & if they tried it when we were out it was not allowed & bc I was always consistent w/discipline I never had issues when out.  I was never afraid of my children controlling the situation.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I tend to agree anon.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ksueditz:

Be a parent? SMH

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Discipline more.

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Stroller with toys and snacks. Add in some discipline and say we are sitting in the stroller right now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM

maybe you should teach your children self control and manners.. just saying.

seriously if you dont know how to take your two children out in public alone, you should have thought twice before having them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)