Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

18 Kids dead this year from the Flu

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

January 4, 2013 7:21 PM

Centers for Disease Control: High level of flu reports in 29 states

(CBS News) The flu started early and the virus is spreading rapidly. In an update Friday, the Centers for Disease Control reports a high level of flu activity in 29 states and a moderate level in nine others. Health officials say it's not too late to get vaccinated. We look at who should get the flu shot.

Seventeen-year-old Max Schwolert came down with the flu. Later, he took a turn for the worse and was soon airlifted to a Minnesota hospital.

"It was really just a snowball effect over several days," said Phil Schwolert, Max's uncle. "Doctors made a few brief periods of some progress but just were never really able to get ahead of things and his body honestly just couldn't keep up."

The flu virus can weaken a person's natural defenses. Max, who did not get a flu shot, developed a bacterial infection and pneumonia. It caused his organs to shut down. He died on Dec. 29.

"Influenza causes death often through its complications, said Lyn Finelli, who tracks flu for the CDC. "Especially in the elderly, influenza causes death through pneumonia and through exacerbation of chronic underlying conditions."

Scientists use weather to forecast flu season

Eighteen children have died from influenza-related illnesses since the flu season began.

"It's an extremely early flu season," said Finelli. "In fact, we're about five weeks ahead of schedule this year."

Since 2010, the CDC has recommended flu shots for everyone over the age of six months. Yet only 37 percent of Americans have been vaccinated this season, which is about average.

I asked the CDC what is the number one misconception that people have about the flu. They said it's the mistaken belief that the flu vaccine can give you the flu. The CDC said it cannot -- it can give you a reaction, you might have some aches and pains and low-grade fever, but that should go away in a day or two. They said it's especially important this year when it's such an active flue to get vaccinated -- they said it's the number one way to prevent the flu.

Please bump for all to read.  Thanks! :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Replies (171-180):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Thats very sad....still not getting the flu shot.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Over 5000 people died as result of vaccines (mostly children) in 2012

I will take my chances

http://vaers.hhs.gov/data/data
rileysmommy229
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM

My kids didnt get a flu shot this year and haven't gotten the flu...hopefully they won't but i try to have them wash their hands and such as much as possible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I'm in Minnesota, and it is hitting our area hard, I swear my whole facebook feed is everyone talking about so and so being sick, heading to the ER, kids and adults with scary high fevers, luckily we have not caught it yet. What seems to be norwalk is also going around. 

Bird16_J
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Well hubby decided to NOT tell me that he got the mist so I was around him lol He was like oh I thought I told you! Idiot! lol

Quoting Susan0805:

I hate the mist too... We always steer clear of daddy when he gets one. I do the shots for me and kids.

Quoting Bird16_J:

I'm still pissed they gave my husband the flu mist and I ended up with the fucking flu and so did baby! First time getting sick with the flu in years! I didn't even get it last year when I was pregnant and the hubby didn't get it. I'm still pissed that I got sick and that he has to get he flu shot (mist bullshit) every year!

mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM

No flu shots here.  

Bird16_J
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Because that's what the military forced on him. He probably could've requested the shot instead of just saying ok give me the mist but he didn't! Trust me I ripped him a new one for doing that instead of the shot. I got VERY sick with it and the so did baby. I told him next year he BETTER get the shot lol

Quoting lunabella79:

Why does he do the mist (which is a live virus) and not the shot (which is nit a live virus)?

Quoting Bird16_J:

I'm still pissed they gave my husband the flu mist and I ended up with the fucking flu and so did baby! First time getting sick with the flu in years! I didn't even get it last year when I was pregnant and the hubby didn't get it. I'm still pissed that I got sick and that he has to get he flu shot (mist bullshit) every year!

rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM

We all got a flu shot--I got the H1N1 4 years ago and thought I was going to die, I was THAT sick, then my son got it. It is nothing to mess with, and the strain this year is supposed to be vicious.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I just looked at the link you provided, and it came up as 76 deaths due to vaccines. Not 5000. 

ETA: Hmmm, since events are double reported to satisfy multiple categories, I misread the death count. It's actually 58, not 76. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Over 5000 people died as result of vaccines (mostly children) in 2012

I will take my chances

http://vaers.hhs.gov/data/data

annas_momma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM
My daughter just got the flu a couple weeks ago. I'm getting over it now, my sister came down with it a few days ago, and my mom started last night. It sucks balls!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)