Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

18 Kids dead this year from the Flu

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

January 4, 2013 7:21 PM

Centers for Disease Control: High level of flu reports in 29 states

(CBS News) The flu started early and the virus is spreading rapidly. In an update Friday, the Centers for Disease Control reports a high level of flu activity in 29 states and a moderate level in nine others. Health officials say it's not too late to get vaccinated. We look at who should get the flu shot.

Seventeen-year-old Max Schwolert came down with the flu. Later, he took a turn for the worse and was soon airlifted to a Minnesota hospital.

"It was really just a snowball effect over several days," said Phil Schwolert, Max's uncle. "Doctors made a few brief periods of some progress but just were never really able to get ahead of things and his body honestly just couldn't keep up."

The flu virus can weaken a person's natural defenses. Max, who did not get a flu shot, developed a bacterial infection and pneumonia. It caused his organs to shut down. He died on Dec. 29.

"Influenza causes death often through its complications, said Lyn Finelli, who tracks flu for the CDC. "Especially in the elderly, influenza causes death through pneumonia and through exacerbation of chronic underlying conditions."

Scientists use weather to forecast flu season

Eighteen children have died from influenza-related illnesses since the flu season began.

"It's an extremely early flu season," said Finelli. "In fact, we're about five weeks ahead of schedule this year."

Since 2010, the CDC has recommended flu shots for everyone over the age of six months. Yet only 37 percent of Americans have been vaccinated this season, which is about average.

I asked the CDC what is the number one misconception that people have about the flu. They said it's the mistaken belief that the flu vaccine can give you the flu. The CDC said it cannot -- it can give you a reaction, you might have some aches and pains and low-grade fever, but that should go away in a day or two. They said it's especially important this year when it's such an active flue to get vaccinated -- they said it's the number one way to prevent the flu.

Please bump for all to read.  Thanks! :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Replies (181-190):
Cochise
by Dawn on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

simple frown

fotoladysince9
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

This is terrible. It happens every year unfortunately.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 48 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I'd rather my kids die from natural causes than chemicals being shot into their bodies

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM

We do too and none of us have ever had a problem or the flu.

Quoting Anonymous:

My LO's and I all get the flu shot every year with absolutely no problems.  It is funny though how many people believe they caught the flu from the vaccine when it says right there in the article that it's not possible.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 49 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

It is nature's little way of population control.

I always ruefully laugh at the "completely back to nature" folks.. who think we CAN live without birth control, without our modern farming and food distribution methods, etc.... because if one chooses to go back to those times, then,

we must also choose to allow nature to take her course in the realm of who lives and who dies, too... then accept nature and don't use modern medicines, either!   Let only the strong survive...

How silly of those folks, yes?  We are already "outside" of nature ....it's a a tragedy when we die of disease now, not normal, like it USED to be....

I don't want to go back to those times, do you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 50 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Still won't get the flu shot foe my kids. My mom is an RN and won't even get them. Wash hands and cover up sneeze and cough works for us.
lalaboosh
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Yeah, but not too much. I think three tablespoons a day would be the most you should take. If you cut your sugar intake and take a tablespoon of ACV twice a day it should do the trick.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

do you just drink some?
Quoting lalaboosh:

Bragg's apple cider vinegar is what I use to fight most infections, my midwife suggested it for a UTI.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

what do you do for UTI's, I haven't found anything natural that works. 

Quoting Hyman:

Same. I have so many homeopathic and natural remedies and medicines for pretty much everything including the end of the world. Lol. And I am not afraid to take my son to the childrens hospital if a problem should arise or to walk ins at his ped ...

Why is it so deadly now? Or has it always been?

I never even heard of the flu shot until a few years ago.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

we don't vax against the flu and I have no plan to.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hddcooper
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Me either! I got the flu for the first time ever this year. I do work in a drs office so I am highly exposed. What they really need to be reporting are the number of people who got the vaccine and still got the flu!!! It's outrageous this year!

Quoting notjstasocermom:

we don't vax against the flu and I have no plan to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM

bump

Lanesmommy26
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM

My daughter has an auto immune disorder and gets her flu shot as soon as its available, like end of July or early August. I get mine through school in October. I teach special education, so I have to protect myself from my students and not bring anything home to my daughter. My husband has never received a flu shot, and won't likely ever get one. Different strokes for different folks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN