Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

18 Kids dead this year from the Flu

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

January 4, 2013 7:21 PM

Centers for Disease Control: High level of flu reports in 29 states

(CBS News) The flu started early and the virus is spreading rapidly. In an update Friday, the Centers for Disease Control reports a high level of flu activity in 29 states and a moderate level in nine others. Health officials say it's not too late to get vaccinated. We look at who should get the flu shot.

Seventeen-year-old Max Schwolert came down with the flu. Later, he took a turn for the worse and was soon airlifted to a Minnesota hospital.

"It was really just a snowball effect over several days," said Phil Schwolert, Max's uncle. "Doctors made a few brief periods of some progress but just were never really able to get ahead of things and his body honestly just couldn't keep up."

The flu virus can weaken a person's natural defenses. Max, who did not get a flu shot, developed a bacterial infection and pneumonia. It caused his organs to shut down. He died on Dec. 29.

"Influenza causes death often through its complications, said Lyn Finelli, who tracks flu for the CDC. "Especially in the elderly, influenza causes death through pneumonia and through exacerbation of chronic underlying conditions."

Scientists use weather to forecast flu season

Eighteen children have died from influenza-related illnesses since the flu season began.

"It's an extremely early flu season," said Finelli. "In fact, we're about five weeks ahead of schedule this year."

Since 2010, the CDC has recommended flu shots for everyone over the age of six months. Yet only 37 percent of Americans have been vaccinated this season, which is about average.

I asked the CDC what is the number one misconception that people have about the flu. They said it's the mistaken belief that the flu vaccine can give you the flu. The CDC said it cannot -- it can give you a reaction, you might have some aches and pains and low-grade fever, but that should go away in a day or two. They said it's especially important this year when it's such an active flue to get vaccinated -- they said it's the number one way to prevent the flu.

Please bump for all to read.  Thanks! :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Replies (201-210):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 52 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM
www.bewellbuzz.com/general/10-reasons-flu-shots-dangerous-flu/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 52 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 52 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I wonder how many of those 18 kids had the flu shot...

u_cry_i_cry
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM

not sure where you found that - this is what I found

using the same link

Quoting Anonymous:

I just looked at the link you provided, and it came up as 76 deaths due to vaccines. Not 5000. 

ETA: Hmmm, since events are double reported to satisfy multiple categories, I misread the death count. It's actually 58, not 76. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Over 5000 people died as result of vaccines (mostly children) in 2012

I will take my chances

http://vaers.hhs.gov/data/data

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I and my daughter are #4 in your little article and I have got the vaccination for the past 18 years with absolutely no adverse side effects and we have never had the flu. 

But thanks for posting. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

locaporbebe
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I still will not get a flu shot. My kids have never gotten it either. We almost never get the flu and who is to say that the shot would have protected us against the strain we had?

Sparkey6987
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Plenty of people die from the flu every year. I still refuse the flu shot, because when I get it, I get the flu three times a season, instead of two. *shrugs*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 53 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM

If you can't get  the flu from the flu shot then why is it the 2 times I have gotten the flu shot I have gotten the flu? The years that I have not gotten the flu shot I have not gotten the flu.

pattya925
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I get it annually.  I am a nurse that often works with transplant recipients as well as having asthma.  I have never had the flu despite having taken care of patients w. the flu.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)