Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

18 Kids dead this year from the Flu

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

January 4, 2013 7:21 PM

Centers for Disease Control: High level of flu reports in 29 states

(CBS News) The flu started early and the virus is spreading rapidly. In an update Friday, the Centers for Disease Control reports a high level of flu activity in 29 states and a moderate level in nine others. Health officials say it's not too late to get vaccinated. We look at who should get the flu shot.

Seventeen-year-old Max Schwolert came down with the flu. Later, he took a turn for the worse and was soon airlifted to a Minnesota hospital.

"It was really just a snowball effect over several days," said Phil Schwolert, Max's uncle. "Doctors made a few brief periods of some progress but just were never really able to get ahead of things and his body honestly just couldn't keep up."

The flu virus can weaken a person's natural defenses. Max, who did not get a flu shot, developed a bacterial infection and pneumonia. It caused his organs to shut down. He died on Dec. 29.

"Influenza causes death often through its complications, said Lyn Finelli, who tracks flu for the CDC. "Especially in the elderly, influenza causes death through pneumonia and through exacerbation of chronic underlying conditions."

Scientists use weather to forecast flu season

Eighteen children have died from influenza-related illnesses since the flu season began.

"It's an extremely early flu season," said Finelli. "In fact, we're about five weeks ahead of schedule this year."

Since 2010, the CDC has recommended flu shots for everyone over the age of six months. Yet only 37 percent of Americans have been vaccinated this season, which is about average.

I asked the CDC what is the number one misconception that people have about the flu. They said it's the mistaken belief that the flu vaccine can give you the flu. The CDC said it cannot -- it can give you a reaction, you might have some aches and pains and low-grade fever, but that should go away in a day or two. They said it's especially important this year when it's such an active flue to get vaccinated -- they said it's the number one way to prevent the flu.

Please bump for all to read.  Thanks! :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:23 PM
3 moms liked this

Nope. We don't get the flu shot in our family. I know way too many ppl who've gotten the flu shot and ended up very, very sick with a strain that wasn't covered by the shot apparently. so ya--no thank you!!!

secondboy2012
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Try silver biotic and oil of oregano.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

what do you do for UTI's, I haven't found anything natural that works. 

Quoting Hyman:

Same. I have so many homeopathic and natural remedies and medicines for pretty much everything including the end of the world. Lol. And I am not afraid to take my son to the childrens hospital if a problem should arise or to walk ins at his ped ...

Why is it so deadly now? Or has it always been?

I never even heard of the flu shot until a few years ago.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

we don't vax against the flu and I have no plan to.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by Emerald Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM
We don't either.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

we don't vax against the flu and I have no plan to.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed. The vaccine only protects against a few strains. Sanitation and caution can minimize the risk of catching all of them.

Quoting Anonymous:

The number one ways to prevent the flu is to avoid people with the flu, wash hands frequently, and sanitize common environmental carriers of viruses and bacteria ( door knobs, railings, light switches...etc).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM
The vax will kill my son. The flu instantly hospitalizes him. We just have to do our best at keeping him healthy with food and good washing habits.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

How would it kill him?  Just wondering.  So please don't be defensive.  I believe you.

Both I and my daughter are immune compromised and we get it every year as a precautionary method that's recommended by our doctor.

Quoting Anonymous:

The vax will kill my son. The flu instantly hospitalizes him. We just have to do our best at keeping him healthy with food and good washing habits.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Me and my two girls have had the flu. My son had a cold and was treated for household contact. However he is sick again. a couple weeks later. I have been treating it with otc but I may get him checked again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
His first vaccine put his fever so high that he had sezuires and coma for 3 days. He is also special needs beyond medical. Now when he caught the flu he again had sezuires, dehydrated within hours and was hospitalized.

Quoting Anonymous:

How would it kill him?  Just wondering.  So please don't be defensive.  I believe you.

Both I and my daughter are immune compromised and we get it every year as a precautionary method that's recommended by our doctor.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
This. The vaccine is their best guess of which ones will be worst.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

My son and I have both already had it this year. Its the only time I've gotten the flu in 15 years.

Its worthy noting that people.can get and die.from strains of flu that aren't included in the shot.

mattiehatter
by Mary on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM

No more than usual. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured