Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

18 Kids dead this year from the Flu

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

January 4, 2013 7:21 PM

Centers for Disease Control: High level of flu reports in 29 states

(CBS News) The flu started early and the virus is spreading rapidly. In an update Friday, the Centers for Disease Control reports a high level of flu activity in 29 states and a moderate level in nine others. Health officials say it's not too late to get vaccinated. We look at who should get the flu shot.

Seventeen-year-old Max Schwolert came down with the flu. Later, he took a turn for the worse and was soon airlifted to a Minnesota hospital.

"It was really just a snowball effect over several days," said Phil Schwolert, Max's uncle. "Doctors made a few brief periods of some progress but just were never really able to get ahead of things and his body honestly just couldn't keep up."

The flu virus can weaken a person's natural defenses. Max, who did not get a flu shot, developed a bacterial infection and pneumonia. It caused his organs to shut down. He died on Dec. 29.

"Influenza causes death often through its complications, said Lyn Finelli, who tracks flu for the CDC. "Especially in the elderly, influenza causes death through pneumonia and through exacerbation of chronic underlying conditions."

Scientists use weather to forecast flu season

Eighteen children have died from influenza-related illnesses since the flu season began.

"It's an extremely early flu season," said Finelli. "In fact, we're about five weeks ahead of schedule this year."

Since 2010, the CDC has recommended flu shots for everyone over the age of six months. Yet only 37 percent of Americans have been vaccinated this season, which is about average.

I asked the CDC what is the number one misconception that people have about the flu. They said it's the mistaken belief that the flu vaccine can give you the flu. The CDC said it cannot -- it can give you a reaction, you might have some aches and pains and low-grade fever, but that should go away in a day or two. They said it's especially important this year when it's such an active flue to get vaccinated -- they said it's the number one way to prevent the flu.

Please bump for all to read.  Thanks! :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Replies (221-230):
lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Not this.   LOL.

Quoting Phoebe-81:

This.

Quoting Anonymous:

The number one ways to prevent the flu is to avoid people with the flu, wash hands frequently, and sanitize common environmental carriers of viruses and bacteria ( door knobs, railings, light switches...etc).

Dawnzilla
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM

We already all had it in November. Just before we were about to get our flu shots. Thank god for tamiflu. It was a very rough 3 weeks with all of us being down.

Byrd15
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 5:57 PM

My flu turned into a sinus infection and bronchitis! And I'm 21 weeks pregnant!!! YAY! *Not*

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 54 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM
I have never gotten the flu shot for me or anyone in my family. For one simple reason, the shot you get is for last years flu.....it changes from year to year so I don't see a need it isn't going to protect you from the strain now. We are currently getting over the flu, not sure how we got it, honestly could be anyway. But I don't think the shot would have prevented it.
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I got the flu shot. Ended up in the hospital because I had such a bad reaction to it. I had THE worst joint pain and headache of my life. I really thought my left eye ball was just going to explode because it hurt THAT badly. I could hardly move. It took 15mg of Percocet to get my pain level down, and even then, I was still hurting, just not as badly. 

Then 2 months later I STILL got the flu. So yeah.. I will NOT be getting the flu shot again & neither will my child. We will take our chances. We load up on Vitamin D3 and Vitamin C, and Zinc. We wash our hands religiously and sanitize surfaces of the house often. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 55 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this
18 people is not that much, especially considering it isn't clear what killed them. The CDC raises a panic every year to get people in to get jacked up with government chemicals. The strain in the shot is not even the strain that is sickening people. Besides, it says "FLU RELATED ILLNESSES." Meaning they know it isn't flu but don't know what it is. Fuck the CDC. Its entire upper staff is made up of former Big Pharma CEOs, lobbyists and researchers. That's a big, giant conflict of interest right there. No thank you, CDC, FDA and Big Pharma. Stick your drugs and your shots straight up your ass sideways.
samurai_chica
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM

how do we know that he had the exact flu virus that the vaccine is supposed to prevent? For all we know, he died from a totally different flu virus. Flu virus's evolve...i have a feeling that the flu vaccine is making the flu vuris evolve into a stronger, more deadly virus.

If you can't tell...i am anti flu vaccine.

There is no way they can tell which flu virus is going to be the most ramant. Also, they create the virus 1 year before they release them...by that time, the virus has most likely already mutated and the vaccine will not prevent it.

Best way to no get it is to take preventative measures. Studies show that the best & most effective wat to avoid the flu is to wear masks (along with washing hands regularly). But...Americans are too vain to wear a mask in public...

samurai_chica
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

also the flu vaccine has mercury, formaldehyde & other nasty poisons. Imagine...people put that shit in their body every year.

I will never EVER put that shit in my body or in my child's body.

Fuck the flu-shot...it is a LIE that people should stop falling for.

Phoebe-81
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Let me elaborate on that (I was busy earlier so I just put this and left). My family has a history of vaccine reactions. I'd rather use other effective methods (like the person I quoted mentioned) of preventing the flu than to risk the side effects of vaccinating.

Quoting lancet98:

Not this.   LOL.

Quoting Phoebe-81:

This.

Quoting Anonymous:

The number one ways to prevent the flu is to avoid people with the flu, wash hands frequently, and sanitize common environmental carriers of viruses and bacteria ( door knobs, railings, light switches...etc).

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tharealty2
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM

how many of them had the flu vaccine?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN