Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

18 Kids dead this year from the Flu

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

January 4, 2013 7:21 PM

Centers for Disease Control: High level of flu reports in 29 states

(CBS News) The flu started early and the virus is spreading rapidly. In an update Friday, the Centers for Disease Control reports a high level of flu activity in 29 states and a moderate level in nine others. Health officials say it's not too late to get vaccinated. We look at who should get the flu shot.

Seventeen-year-old Max Schwolert came down with the flu. Later, he took a turn for the worse and was soon airlifted to a Minnesota hospital.

"It was really just a snowball effect over several days," said Phil Schwolert, Max's uncle. "Doctors made a few brief periods of some progress but just were never really able to get ahead of things and his body honestly just couldn't keep up."

The flu virus can weaken a person's natural defenses. Max, who did not get a flu shot, developed a bacterial infection and pneumonia. It caused his organs to shut down. He died on Dec. 29.

"Influenza causes death often through its complications, said Lyn Finelli, who tracks flu for the CDC. "Especially in the elderly, influenza causes death through pneumonia and through exacerbation of chronic underlying conditions."

Scientists use weather to forecast flu season

Eighteen children have died from influenza-related illnesses since the flu season began.

"It's an extremely early flu season," said Finelli. "In fact, we're about five weeks ahead of schedule this year."

Since 2010, the CDC has recommended flu shots for everyone over the age of six months. Yet only 37 percent of Americans have been vaccinated this season, which is about average.

I asked the CDC what is the number one misconception that people have about the flu. They said it's the mistaken belief that the flu vaccine can give you the flu. The CDC said it cannot -- it can give you a reaction, you might have some aches and pains and low-grade fever, but that should go away in a day or two. They said it's especially important this year when it's such an active flue to get vaccinated -- they said it's the number one way to prevent the flu.

Please bump for all to read.  Thanks! :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Replies (231-240):
samurai_chica
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Little did they tell anyone that some of those kids who died WERE vaccinated. They are really playing the one teen that they know was not...

SciFiMama91
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM
If we get the flu I can treat it fine with natural medicine. The vaccine doesn't protect you from all strands.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Actually, you CAN have a bad physical reaction to the flu shot! My DH was in the Army for 6 years! They are required to give you the flu shot! 2 of the 6 years, my DH did get the flu shot! Both times within 12 hours of getting the shot, he was flat on his back in bed with a fever of 102 for 3 days!!!!! The other 4 years he was in the Army, he was friends with the medical person administering the shots! They would take him into the exam room, close the door and ask him if he wanted the shot. He said NO! So---the friend would write in his chart that he WAS given the shot, put a band-aid on his arm, and they would chit-chat for a few minutes, and my DH would leave! The 4 years he did NOT get the shot, he did not get the flu and did not have to deal with having a fever for 3 days and feeling achy and crappy!! So yes!! The shot CAN give you a bad physical reaction!!

Quoting Anonymous:

You dont get sick from it. The virus is dead the inject u with. I ask every year to be sure.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. We don't get the flu shot in our family. I know way too many ppl who've gotten the flu shot and ended up very, very sick with a strain that wasn't covered by the shot apparently. so ya--no thank you!!!

mary841108
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM

This. my son has always had bad reactions to it so we dont bother anymore. we had H1N1 2 years ago and it wasnt as bad as the media made it out to be AT ALL

Quoting notjstasocermom:

we don't vax against the flu and I have no plan to.

Cleaning tips, baking recipes, dinner recipes, kids crafts, crafts for the bored mama and more at:

http://theimperfectstepfordwife.wordpress.com/

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM
We do not vax against the flu.

100+ kids die every year from circumcision complications, but you don't see people jumping up to stop that.
AdellesMom
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:34 PM
This.

We don't vax against the flu.

Quoting Anonymous:

The number one ways to prevent the flu is to avoid people with the flu, wash hands frequently, and sanitize common environmental carriers of viruses and bacteria ( door knobs, railings, light switches...etc).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KenneMaw
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM

it has been awful in my communiy outside of Atlanta.  In early December, 8 kids from my DD;s class had to leave early.  Several people at the office have had the flu.   i agree with the folks that say - if you are sick, STAY HOME!  Keep your kids HOME!  

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

The flu virus was around long before we had the technology to do that, though.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think this flu is man made and was let loose on the population to "teach us a lesson" and scare us into getting the flu shots...

Go ahead with the lame ass overused ttin foil jokes now.

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Oh, you must be new here.....

Quoting Anonymous:

100+ kids die every year from circumcision complications, but you don't see people jumping up to stop that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Far from it.

Quoting harehelper:

Oh, you must be new here.....

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)