Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

18 Kids dead this year from the Flu

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

January 4, 2013 7:21 PM

Centers for Disease Control: High level of flu reports in 29 states

(CBS News) The flu started early and the virus is spreading rapidly. In an update Friday, the Centers for Disease Control reports a high level of flu activity in 29 states and a moderate level in nine others. Health officials say it's not too late to get vaccinated. We look at who should get the flu shot.

Seventeen-year-old Max Schwolert came down with the flu. Later, he took a turn for the worse and was soon airlifted to a Minnesota hospital.

"It was really just a snowball effect over several days," said Phil Schwolert, Max's uncle. "Doctors made a few brief periods of some progress but just were never really able to get ahead of things and his body honestly just couldn't keep up."

The flu virus can weaken a person's natural defenses. Max, who did not get a flu shot, developed a bacterial infection and pneumonia. It caused his organs to shut down. He died on Dec. 29.

"Influenza causes death often through its complications, said Lyn Finelli, who tracks flu for the CDC. "Especially in the elderly, influenza causes death through pneumonia and through exacerbation of chronic underlying conditions."

Scientists use weather to forecast flu season

Eighteen children have died from influenza-related illnesses since the flu season began.

"It's an extremely early flu season," said Finelli. "In fact, we're about five weeks ahead of schedule this year."

Since 2010, the CDC has recommended flu shots for everyone over the age of six months. Yet only 37 percent of Americans have been vaccinated this season, which is about average.

I asked the CDC what is the number one misconception that people have about the flu. They said it's the mistaken belief that the flu vaccine can give you the flu. The CDC said it cannot -- it can give you a reaction, you might have some aches and pains and low-grade fever, but that should go away in a day or two. They said it's especially important this year when it's such an active flue to get vaccinated -- they said it's the number one way to prevent the flu.

Please bump for all to read.  Thanks! :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Replies (241-250):
elijahXmom
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I got mine done this year because of my health issues as I have done few years now, after an ICU stay but I swear it made me so sick this time around. Took me almost 6 to get back 100%. 

mamalusbear
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM

We went on vacation and my son got very sick with RSV (he is only 13 mos.).  He is recovering fine, and I sure was glad that he got a flu shot...if he had caught the flu I worry things could have been much worse.

peaches_04
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Its horrible this year weve had to hold patients in the er tell we can find a hospital to transfer them too bc all the beds are full from the outbreak
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM

in order to make a study like that work, they'd need volunteers in their 40's and 50's, both vaxed, and unvaxed, and compare rates of neuro disease among the people 20yrs down the line, after they had multiple vaccines, or used alternative meds.  

Quoting Anonymous:

it will be interesting to see the level of alzheimers and dementia 20yrs from now due to all the mass vaccination yearly of adults.  There are NO culmulative studies demonstrating this is safe and harmless on the aging brain.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM

where are you?

Quoting peaches_04:

Its horrible this year weve had to hold patients in the er tell we can find a hospital to transfer them too bc all the beds are full from the outbreak

ashleyrenee24
by 2ne1 on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Quoting notjstasocermom:

we don't vax against the flu and I have no plan to.

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I really want to get a flu shot but every time I turn around I am sick. I am on a biologic and it seems like i get better start taking my shots again and then i get sick again. I really hope I don't get the flu because i have lung problems anyway and just had bronchitis last month and with my compromised immune system it would be bad.

my kids don't get sick like me and they have had their flu shots though. Any time anything has to be done at the school i have my dh do it and I avoid hospitals like the plague.

peaches_04
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Twin cities mn

Quoting Anonymous:

where are you?

Quoting peaches_04:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Did your doctor test you to see that it was the flu?

Quoting SamiJ18:

I got the flu last month. It was intense and I was sick for over 2 weeks with high fevers (105 was the highest) that did not respond to anything, coughing, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, intense body aches, weakness, fatigue, headaches, nerve pain, dizziness, hallucinations, and congestion.

My kids were vaccinated for the flu in November. My son did get sick with some of my symptoms but he was better within a week and it wasn't as severe. My daughter did not get sick at all.

The flu is evil.

Bellarose0212
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM

That includes getting the flu shot. It's only 60 percent effective in a good year, and that only against the exact strains it was manufactured against. There are many strains circulating. So, given that reduced amount of efficacy, some of us weigh getting injected with toxins that will reduce our immune system's protection against all the strains of flu and other illnesses against the slim chance that it will protect us against very specific strains. It isn't worth it for pregnant women or young children/babies, in my home, at least. 18 deaths is actually a very small amount compared to the many other ways kids can die. It's not that alarming of a statistic considering that I still drive my car and 1800 plus die per year in car crashes (that's under the age of 14). If I felt the shot were safe and effective, that would be one thing, but we all have to decide for our own family if we think that is so.

Quoting littlelamb303:

I REALLY think some people think they are immuned to anything bad happening to them because they did all the right things. They are SOOOO wrong

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)