Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

18 Kids dead this year from the Flu

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

January 4, 2013 7:21 PM

Centers for Disease Control: High level of flu reports in 29 states

(CBS News) The flu started early and the virus is spreading rapidly. In an update Friday, the Centers for Disease Control reports a high level of flu activity in 29 states and a moderate level in nine others. Health officials say it's not too late to get vaccinated. We look at who should get the flu shot.

Seventeen-year-old Max Schwolert came down with the flu. Later, he took a turn for the worse and was soon airlifted to a Minnesota hospital.

"It was really just a snowball effect over several days," said Phil Schwolert, Max's uncle. "Doctors made a few brief periods of some progress but just were never really able to get ahead of things and his body honestly just couldn't keep up."

The flu virus can weaken a person's natural defenses. Max, who did not get a flu shot, developed a bacterial infection and pneumonia. It caused his organs to shut down. He died on Dec. 29.

"Influenza causes death often through its complications, said Lyn Finelli, who tracks flu for the CDC. "Especially in the elderly, influenza causes death through pneumonia and through exacerbation of chronic underlying conditions."

Scientists use weather to forecast flu season

Eighteen children have died from influenza-related illnesses since the flu season began.

"It's an extremely early flu season," said Finelli. "In fact, we're about five weeks ahead of schedule this year."

Since 2010, the CDC has recommended flu shots for everyone over the age of six months. Yet only 37 percent of Americans have been vaccinated this season, which is about average.

I asked the CDC what is the number one misconception that people have about the flu. They said it's the mistaken belief that the flu vaccine can give you the flu. The CDC said it cannot -- it can give you a reaction, you might have some aches and pains and low-grade fever, but that should go away in a day or two. They said it's especially important this year when it's such an active flue to get vaccinated -- they said it's the number one way to prevent the flu.

Please bump for all to read.  Thanks! :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Replies (31-40):
PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM
3 moms liked this

1).  Get your vitamin D levels checked.  Optimal levels 65-80ng/ml will help you from getting a bad case of the flu.  If you do get it, it will be mild.  If you do get the flu, take 1,000iu D3 for every pound of body weight for 3-5 days.

2) If you are getting over the flu and then develop a cough, GET IT CHECKED OUT.  It could be bronchitis that will turn into the flu pneumonia.  This is what they are talking about.  It's not the flu that kills, it is the pneumonia that kills.

3) WRONG, the flu nasal mist is live and absolutely can give you the flu.  Getting the flu shot does not protect you 100% from the flu.  The flu shot is just the vaccine makers' best guess as to what strain will be active that flu season.  

I don't give 2 s#its what the CDC says about the efficacy of the flu shot, I've never had it and never will and in the past 30 years, I've had the flu exactly 4 times.  Pretty good odds, doncha think?  Since I've gotten my vitamin D levels up, the last 2 times that I've had the flu, I've thrown it off in 3 days.

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM

flu can be deadly for anyone--it's not a new thing.  This happens every year.  Kids and those with certain medical condtions, the eldery, etc are at higher risk of death but a perfectly healthy person can get the flu, have complications, and die. Haven't had it for a few years but I was very close to being dragged to the hospital by myt parents. I didn't move from the bathroom for four days straight.

Quoting Hyman:

Same. I have so many homeopathic and natural remedies and medicines for pretty much everything including the end of the world. Lol. And I am not afraid to take my son to the childrens hospital if a problem should arise or to walk ins at his ped ...

Why is it so deadly now? Or has it always been?

I never even heard of the flu shot until a few years ago.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

we don't vax against the flu and I have no plan to.

MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM

This is why as soon as my children get sick I take them to the dr.  We dont do flu shots because I get massively ill from it an my dr does want to risk it with my girls since they seem to react badly too to those types of things.

Cynthje
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Every year people die from the flu, the vaccines only protect against  strains and not all of them. My family doesnt take flu shots and they are not recomended here for most healthy people anyway (or for pregnant women for that matter).

I had H1N1 and i was sick as a dog for about two weeks but i survived without needing all sorts of medsm i gave BM to both my kids and my nephews for the antibodies and in the end i was the only one in our family to get it.

Yellowlily333
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM

so sad

MommySarah986
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Everyone in my house got the flu shot and me and ds just got the flu. Not even the vaccine worked:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM

we already got it, we got over it 

cherib82
by Post Killer on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM

So sad

bluedolly01
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
It doesn't make you sick huh? Only a reaction for a day or two huh? Then does someone care to explain why the one and only time I had the flu shot (was offered free through my work) I have NEVER been so sick before or since and not just for a couple of days - I was sick for 10 freaking months.
Coincidence? I think not.

No one in my family gets it while I have a say in their health. Would love to know the number of kids who have died as a result of the injections.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:46 PM
DD got the flu vax for the first time this year...... And then broke out on hives all over her body.

We won't be getting the flu vaccine ever again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured