Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Hello everyone :)

I'm going anon, bc I'm embarrassed that I don't have more to say for myself (Although one day I will)

I'm 22 and pregnant with my first baby. I am a high school graduate, but have not attended college yet. I come from a crazy home life, I know that's not an excuse but life has been rough for me these last few years since graduation. 

Now, I have my own apt in my name, living with my long time boyfriend, my own car, and a full time job. I keep thinking about the future a lot. How am I gonna work, go to school, and handle a newborn? 

I KNOW it will be hard, but I'm not giving up on getting my schooling done. 

So my question is, what are some good career choices? I was thinking about going to become an LVN. That's 1.5 years of school. I would do that at Galen, which is a school that only does nursing programs. Then after that, I could become an RN.... However, it's a trade school. So I wouldn't feel like that's sufficent. Going to a regular college would make this process SO much longer, as I'd have to get my basics done and that'll take a couple years alone. 

I want to provide my future child with the best possible life I can. Not having a degree and a career is not an option for me. I'd feel like a failure. 

What would you suggest? What would you do? WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU OFFER A FIRST TIME MOTHER? 

WHAT ARE SOME LEGITAMATE QUICK CAREER CHOICES?

My head is spinning here, I'm sorry this post is all over the place. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
pampire
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Medical provessions are a good choice.  Do go to a program that will give you an actual degree, rather than a certificate.  make sure the credits can transfer to a 4 year program.

Our population is aging, so gerontolgy is an area that is likely to need more trained  ppl.  There is a shortage of nurses so you may have good luck finding grants for nursing programs and/or employers that will help pay for traingin if you get in with them at the entry level. working, going to school and being a mom will be hard work.  Your SO will have to be ready to step up and play a bigger role than he may have seen himself playing around the house and with the baby.

The BEST career advice is to find something you LOVE and find a way to get paid for it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Get an abortion now. Then finish a four year degree before you get pregnant again.
Statistically w/a baby 1st your chances of finishing college are about 5%.
Do the right thing for your kids.
SMH.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM
So to abort the baby is the right thing to do!?
Seriously. SMH

Quoting Anonymous:

Get an abortion now. Then finish a four year degree before you get pregnant again.

SMH.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM
How bout for the prerequisites you take them online ...then apply for the programs u want?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Go fuck yourself. I will NOT be a statistic. I wouldn't abort my baby either.

Go shake your head at that :)

Quoting Anonymous:

SMH.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM
That's the plan I'm going with :) Thank you

Quoting Anonymous:

How bout for the prerequisites you take them online ...then apply for the programs u want?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Look into court reporting. School averages 2-4 years, but they make a shit-ton of money after that. Also, working from home is an option.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Great ideas, thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Look into court reporting. School averages 2-4 years, but they make a shit-ton of money after that. Also, working from home is an option.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM
LPN? Nursing is good.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Lol....I meant to say working from home is an option with court reporting. I don't think I was clear. Sorry.

Quoting Anonymous:

Great ideas, thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured