Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If your child is very obese, you as a parent are to blame

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you agree that parents are responsible for their children's weight?

Options:

YES

NO

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 59

View Results

Morbidly obese children did not exist 40 yrs ago(if so, it was very rare).  Now they are all over.  I do believe genetics play a role, some kids may be slightly over for a while, but if they are taught good habits, they will eventually lose that extra weight.  It is kids (like 45 lb 2 yr olds and 100 lb kindergarteners) that I am talking about.  Why do you let your kids eat so much crap?  What are you doing about it. Please understand I am not talking about "chunky" kids, but the obese ones like honey boo boo

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I agree with you.

My friends son is 15 months. He weighs 33 pounds.

I have a 5 yr old that weighs 38 pounds. Pretty gross to let a kid get that big at 15months but she doesn't want to hear anything about it.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM

The parents are the ones feeding the kids.  They buy the food, they prepare it.  They allow it.  They allow (or even encourage) sedentary behavior.

Yes - it's on the parents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Yes unless there's an underlying condition.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM
In 99.9% of cases, yes.
TB78
by Tasha on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM
I would chose other if it was up there because the blame goes to the parents, health officials, fad, and the state of the economy!
That's supposed to be FDA not fad
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Absolutely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaceNBklyn
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Yup! They are to blame! And most over wieght children have overwieght parents
anotherhalf
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Quoting TB78:

I would chose other if it was up there because the blame goes to the parents, health officials, fad, and the state of the economy!
That's supposed to be FDA not fad

Why are you blaming health officials and FDA for a child's obesity?

marinenonstop
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Depending on the case i believe the parents play s crucial role. Unless there is an underlining medical condition. My ss for example is over weight (not morbidly obese, just over weight) and bm says its her own fault. For snacks, i keep fruits and yogurts in my home. Sweets and cookies are special treats. Bm keeps individual bags of chips and donuts. I allow my son to go outside when the weather is nice to play at the park. She doesn't. Instead she allows ss to play video games during his free time. She and i are working together now to try to loose weight. Unfortunately he is not handling smaller portions well so we're trying to change WHAT hes eating and making him more active.
LoveMyLos
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Unless its a medical condition, i concider it abuse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)