Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your child is very obese, you as a parent are to blame

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you agree that parents are responsible for their children's weight?

Options:

YES

NO

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 59

View Results

Morbidly obese children did not exist 40 yrs ago(if so, it was very rare).  Now they are all over.  I do believe genetics play a role, some kids may be slightly over for a while, but if they are taught good habits, they will eventually lose that extra weight.  It is kids (like 45 lb 2 yr olds and 100 lb kindergarteners) that I am talking about.  Why do you let your kids eat so much crap?  What are you doing about it. Please understand I am not talking about "chunky" kids, but the obese ones like honey boo boo

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Blah blah blaaaaaaaaaah.

paknari
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Most of the time. But there are diseases that can cause that. Remember the kid that sang the song from a jingle on utube? He was 200 lbs at 5. He died from whatever disease he had.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amandae21
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions about the 15mo. My 9mo is exclusively breastfed and doesn't like to eat solids... so literally 99.9% of what he eats comes from the breast. He is 22lbs.

I mean, if you know your friend is giving the baby Happy Meals, that's different.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with you.

My friends son is 15 months. He weighs 33 pounds.

I have a 5 yr old that weighs 38 pounds. Pretty gross to let a kid get that big at 15months but she doesn't want to hear anything about it.

lauren.m
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM
A child 12 and under with no medical issues its the parents fault over 12 they are able to go buy junk themselves in most cases. Either way its not my child they are feeding so i stay out of it.
TB78
by Tasha on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM
The health officials; peditrician, dietition and anyone else involved would most times just tell the parents that their child(ren) are overweight or obese and won't give the parents any help or guidance to go about helping the child to get healthy. FDA because we pay them to regulate and inform consumers when foods or drinks are harmful or good to buy.

Quoting anotherhalf:

Quoting TB78:

I would chose other if it was up there because the blame goes to the parents, health officials, fad, and the state of the economy!

That's supposed to be FDA not fad

Why are you blaming health officials and FDA for a child's obesity?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bitemebetty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM
My 4 month old is 3oz short of 18lbs and hr his ebf

Quoting amandae21:

I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions about the 15mo. My 9mo is exclusively breastfed and doesn't like to eat solids... so literally 99.9% of what he eats comes from the breast. He is 22lbs.

I mean, if you know your friend is giving the baby Happy Meals, that's different.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with you.

My friends son is 15 months. He weighs 33 pounds.

I have a 5 yr old that weighs 38 pounds. Pretty gross to let a kid get that big at 15months but she doesn't want to hear anything about it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovemyfamilyof8
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM

yes I do.... NOT MEDICAL REASONS.... I think if you are overfeeding, feeding to keep them quiet/busy/out of your hair, feeding 100% pure junk and crap all day, or not regulating anything, then you as a parent are being lazy, irresponsible, and neglectful! you are literally killing your child, all for 10 minutes of them being quiet stuffing their faces! Sick and Sad IMO. I do not think kids should be removed, but they should be forced by law to change diet, see a dietitian, and maintain daily exercise! They are setting their kids up for disability!

Amybelle
by AmyAzing on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Just look at how many Mothers on this site start their LOs on cereal (& more) at 3 months & sometimes even younger.

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I wasn't aware my mother could be blamed for my hypothyroidism. Bad mommy, bad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I didn't choose an option. Ds is overweight and has been since he was 6, but due to us working with his nutritionist we have gotten him to stop gaining and he is growing into his weight. His father is 6'3" and ds at almost 12 weighs 140lbs and is 5'3" and wears a size 8.5W in men's sneakers.

Our 9 yr old (almost 10) dd is underweight. She is 65lbs and 5'1". She is a size 6 in women's sneakers. 

They are both active and tall for their ages. They eat more fruits and veggies than anything. Both drink water and not allowed soda. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured