Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If your child is very obese, you as a parent are to blame

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you agree that parents are responsible for their children's weight?

Options:

YES

NO

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 59

View Results

Morbidly obese children did not exist 40 yrs ago(if so, it was very rare).  Now they are all over.  I do believe genetics play a role, some kids may be slightly over for a while, but if they are taught good habits, they will eventually lose that extra weight.  It is kids (like 45 lb 2 yr olds and 100 lb kindergarteners) that I am talking about.  Why do you let your kids eat so much crap?  What are you doing about it. Please understand I am not talking about "chunky" kids, but the obese ones like honey boo boo

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I have an obese child. She's been heavy since elementary school. We've tried every fad diet known to man. We've been eating vegan for their past 8 1/2 years(she's 16). We've been to three different doctors who said it was her diet and "what she puts in her mouth". After I showed them what she's been eating for a
year(I've actually kept a food diary) they can't and probably don't believe it. Her aunt was exactly like this as a child,ended up being an under active thyroid. When I brought this to all three of their attentions only one tested for it. Guess what? It was her thyroid the whole time! She went from 215 at 15 to now 105 at 5'3" age 16. Sometimes it's not the parents fault.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM
That's not that big especially if the child is tall. Plus, I bet that your friend's child is growing at a normal weight. My son is 18 months and weighs 29 lbs. that falls between 75-90 percentile for weight and he's been on that part of his curve since he was born.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with you.

My friends son is 15 months. He weighs 33 pounds.

I have a 5 yr old that weighs 38 pounds. Pretty gross to let a kid get that big at 15months but she doesn't want to hear anything about it.

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM

That is what I was going to say. My twins were 35lbs a piece at a year but they were also very tall and no where near overweight. They were exclusively breastfed and ate very little solids as well and what they did eat was fuits, veggies, and chicken. 

Quoting amandae21:

I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions about the 15mo. My 9mo is exclusively breastfed and doesn't like to eat solids... so literally 99.9% of what he eats comes from the breast. He is 22lbs.

I mean, if you know your friend is giving the baby Happy Meals, that's different.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with you.

My friends son is 15 months. He weighs 33 pounds.

I have a 5 yr old that weighs 38 pounds. Pretty gross to let a kid get that big at 15months but she doesn't want to hear anything about it.

Ashleeduhh
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes unless there's an underlying condition.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I don't blame parents for kids who have slight weight problems, big ones YES.  My neice was 20 months old sitting and eating like an older child, in a high chair, at a chinese place. They tried charging her the FULL child price at one year old(because she was near 45 lbs).  It is the parents, and now that she is older she cannot get her weight under control and they actually humiliate her about it, when where did it all begin?

AngelRT
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Yes I believe the parents are usually to be blamed!

jen2150
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

It really depends on the circumstances.  Schools cutting play time, PE and unhealthy lunches at school are also partly to blame.  It depends on the kids ages as well.  There are many causes.  

Jem8310
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM

My son became obese once he left my house. He's almost 30 now and for the last 10 years has gotten fatter and fatter. He is now 100 pounds overweight and at risk for diabetes. We have offered to pay for any weight loss program he wants. He is very depressed and doesn't see the connection between overeating obesity and depression. It's a vicious cycle. He has few friends and no girlfriend. I am very sad for him but don't see how to help him.

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Probably for the most part until they become teenagers. Then I think the teens have a larger role in it unless they stay ay home all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wyattsmom2009
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM

If they are not your children.. don't look at them. Mind your own business. What other people do with their families is none of your concern.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN