Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

While we're talking "touchy"

Posted by   + Show Post

Where does everyone stand on the legalization or decriminalization of marijuana? Im curious to know how responsible moms feel about its legalization. If no more states legalize it what will you teach your kids about it?

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Replies (81-90):
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I think you need to do some more research. Growing marijuana has a huge environmental impact, it uses tons of electricity, 10% of electrical use in California was due to marijuana growth before it was even legal for medical use, it generates high amounts of CO2, in indoor growing facilities and in outdoor ones, high concentrations of pesticides are extremely common, huge amounts of plant growth is cleared to make adaquite growing spaces (which also causes more wildfires), and it uses huge amounts of water. 

Quoting StevieMarie:

the environmental impact would be a good thing. Hemp yeilds fuell, paper, clothing, a great number of useful things. you need to do some research on the environmental end of things. ITs a wonderful medicine and doesnt make people crazy. Alcohol makes people do things they wouldnt normally do, too. Half my family smokes weed, most of the others are alcoholics. Guess which ones are healthier both mentally and physically?

Quoting LucyHarper:

It has a high environmental impact and making it more available will increase the number of people who use it and people will be less careful about how they use it, it no longer will be an at home thing, it will be people walking down the street, it impacts judgement and makes people do things the wouldn't normally do. 

Quoting IansMommy2012:

So why against it? I'm just curious :)

Quoting LucyHarper:

I'm against legalizing it, and before someone tries to start with me, I'm not arguing about this. I teach my kids the dangers of it, it's chemical composition, and the effects it has on the body and the environment. I am willing to answer any reasonable questions.

Reepicheep.CSL
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM

It is a drug. Chances are my children will never need to use marijuana medicinally so no, I won't be telling them that they could smoke it for medicine. 

Quoting priceless3238:

Why would you teach that it is a drug? It can also be used very successfully as a medicine. Will you teach that also?

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

I don't think it should be legalized. I will teach my children that it is a drug and won't be welcome in my house and neither will the person who uses it. The same goes with under aged drinking and smoking.

Mommavieve
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:01 PM
What she said.

Quoting Unoriginal.:

Legalize it and tax it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LucyHarper:

I'm against legalizing it, and before someone tries to start with me, I'm not arguing about this. I teach my kids the dangers of it, it's chemical composition, and the effects it has on the body and the environment. I am willing to answer any reasonable questions.

Are you against the medical use for it?

No, if someone has a proven medical need for it, then fine by me if they use it, just like I'm fine with someone taking vicodin if they need it for medical reasons, but am not okay with people taking it for recreational purposes and think that should be illegal.

lowencope
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Exactly.

Quoting xtina8817:

Legalize it. And ffs make it fast. I'm so tired of hearing about it lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
priceless3238
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Well caffeine is a drug what are you teaching your kids about that?

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

It is a drug. Chances are my children will never need to use marijuana medicinally so no, I won't be telling them that they could smoke it for medicine. 

Quoting priceless3238:

Why would you teach that it is a drug? It can also be used very successfully as a medicine. Will you teach that also?

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

I don't think it should be legalized. I will teach my children that it is a drug and won't be welcome in my house and neither will the person who uses it. The same goes with under aged drinking and smoking.

StevieMarie
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Does it really matter how much or how little I post? lol

Quoting mattiehatter:

I've noticed quite a few posts started by you. It's funny. 

Quoting StevieMarie:

Post ho? Lol ok.

Quoting mattiehatter:

You have become quite the post ho. I think it should be legalized and then taxed like cigarettes. 

*I'm

mattiehatter
by Mary on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I was kidding anyway. I tend to type exactly what I'm thinking and check spelling. 

Quoting StevieMarie:

Does it really matter how much or how little I post? lol

Quoting mattiehatter:

I've noticed quite a few posts started by you. It's funny. 

Quoting StevieMarie:

Post ho? Lol ok.

Quoting mattiehatter:

You have become quite the post ho. I think it should be legalized and then taxed like cigarettes. 

*I'm

StevieMarie
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Ok thats one extreme case. And us unfortuante as it is, the majority of marijuana users DONT go that route. I get your reasons. But its not the marijuana that made this person bad. Seems he was bad news anyways.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's been 3 years since I drank, I never had a drinking problem, but my ex did so I gave it up completely so I wouldn't be a stumbling block for him. I hate alcohol for that reason, drugs too, he'd smoke weed then before you know it he was smoking crack. I have zero tolerance to drugs and alcohol. The next man in my life won't do neither because I don't want to be with anyone that does.

Quoting StevieMarie:

I think thats exactly what makes it ok. Its done wonders medically, it helps people, has proven to be safer than alcohol and stimulates brain activity without being a so called "upper". I ws raised to see the drastic difference in those drugs versus marijuana. My parent had a saying close to the one in Knocked Up. "no pills, no powders, If it grows in the ground its PROBABLY ok" I smoked ALL of highschool pretty much non stop and had amazing grades (3.8-4.0 GPA) and lettered in varsity volleyball since I was a sophomore. Ten bucks says I couldnt have pulled that off on cocaine or meth. I never got into legal trouble and have a single parking ticket on my record to date. Alcohol is considered a drug and deemed more damaging than marijuana. Have you ever drank?  

Quoting Anonymous:

You know perfectly well what those drugs do. Just because weed doesn't do what those other drugs doesn't make it ok.

Quoting StevieMarie:

How do you feel about it versus like cocaine and meth?

Quoting Anonymous:

No way! I have a zero tolerance for drugs.

StevieMarie
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM

hmmmm. I think teaching the duality of things in life is important. A prescription painkiller could be abused and addictive as well as a cause of death, but it could also help your child greatly if they were injured or had surgery. While there are arguments for abuse and addiction regarding marijuana, theres no argument for overdose. What you tell your kids is your business, but for the sake of life in the real world, dont you think they would be better prepared if they knew the whole story? By the way I dont think it makes you a bad parent to omit the good points but Im trying to understand.

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

Quoting priceless3238:

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)