Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

*UPDATE - I'm Doing It!!* I Want to Dress Like a 1950s Housewife/PinUp!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 130 Replies
5 moms liked this

Thanks in no small part to the kind and encouraging words of you lovely ladies, I am going to follow my dreams, take more pride in my appearance, and transform myself into a modern Marilyn (well, as close as a mere mortal like myself can get to a modern Marilyn anyway)!  An hour or so ago, I pulled everything out of my wardrobe that I do not feel attractive in (be gone, shapeless. ill-fitting clothing!)  I have a few pieces that are near enough to the look I hope to achieve to serve as "transition" pieces (like my boat neck shirt with the red and white horizontal stripes).  I am currently watching hair and make-up tutorials on YouTube, and I see that PUG has hair and make-up books for sale on the site.   I plan to start adding a few more pieces that can work for a..."softcore", shall we call it...version of the look from regular ol' stores.  You know, tailored capris, full skirts, shirt-dresses, and such.  Stores like Target and Payless have plenty of retro-inspired peep toes and basic round toed pumps.  The girdles and other undergarments on PUG are actually not too terribly expensive for something one would wear every day.  I think part of this year's tax return may go towards one or two PUG dresses!  Thank you again for your support ladies, and hopefully I will be be making a new and improved post in a few months!

I have had a wishlist on pinupgirlclothing.com for five years now, but I have yet to take the plunge and order so much as a vintage girdle.  I think I still stupidly afraid of what people would say.  Oh, how I long to dress like this:

and this:

and this:

and like this on beach days:

and of course I will need one of these to acheive that hour-glass shape:

I suppose a girl can dream, can't she?

happy

* I have fallen into what my sister describes a "frumpy hippy" look, and so the concept of putting on heels, and make-up, and doing my hair every day is sort of daunting to me too.  Also (because of the way I currently dress) I think I am more concerned about what my friends and family would think than I am about what strangers will think.  They may think I have flipped my lid! LOL

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-42-
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM
3 moms liked this
I love that style.

I love the hair from back then too.....but I'm hair stupid and can't do it to my own. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I like the dresses. I have looked at the traditional housewife/mother. I have tried. Seems like things seemed easier then tho too.

MOre power to ya

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I have the exact same problem.  I was a tomboy throughout childhood and my teens, and so I am clueless when it comes to hair and make-up.

Quoting -42-:

I love that style.

I love the hair from back then too.....but I'm hair stupid and can't do it to my own. :(

moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Do it! I LOVE that style. Who cares what everyone else is thinking! Do you girl!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I love the grey dress with the pink bow :). I couldn't dress like that everyday though, but if you want go for it!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Well, I am already a SAHM who loves cleaning and cooking, so I guess I am halfway there! :)

Now I just need the wardrobe... :(

Quoting Anonymous:

I like the dresses. I have looked at the traditional housewife/mother. I have tried. Seems like things seemed easier then tho too.

MOre power to ya

kate80
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM
I love it. I want to too!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Unfortunately, I think that is a foreign concept to me...LOL.

Quoting moosesmom:

Do it! I LOVE that style. Who cares what everyone else is thinking! Do you girl!

twinners.mama
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM
The first two dresses are so pretty! I love those blue flowers! There is a show about women who live a '50s lifestyle. I can't remember the name...something about beehives I think.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I love that style! Go for it momma. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)